It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:24 am

Hauptwerk V6 Audio! Wow!

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

bourdon

Re: Hauptwerk V6 Audio! Wow!

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 8:37 am

Thanks, Martin , for your answer ( and your never-ending efficient help and attention !)

mdyde

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 8:40 am

Thanks! You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

randallschmid

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 9:09 am

Martin - is the audio improvement available through the VST audio link?

mdyde

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 9:55 am

Hello Randall,

Yes -- the improvements (available via the two new settings) are in Hauptwerk's audio engine, so it doesn't matter by what means you output the audio. Note, however, that if you want to use 96 kHz then your VST host's project would need to be set to 96 kHz too (i.e. the VST host's sample rate must match Hauptwerk's sample rate, as for previous versions).
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 12:19 pm

[Pedro -- I've split your question about PC hardware off to a separate topic here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19257 .]
Best regards, Martin.

ppytprs

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 1:07 pm

Why does the pitch shifting option give improved results? Is there lots of pitch shifting going on behind the scenes that the user is unaware of?

mdyde

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 1:12 pm

Hello Paul,

Pitches of pipes vary according to:

- Modelled real-time wind flow fluctuations, and the wind supply model.

- Tremulants.

- Your base pitch, temperament, and voicing tuning settings.

- Any pipe tuning adjustments the sample set proudcer may have specified in the organ definition.
Best regards, Martin.

ppytprs

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 1:45 pm

Ah right, I see, interesting, thanks. Hadn't really considered that before.

I did the upgrade last night. I could be persuaded that it sounds cleaner. It also seemed to be louder. Is that likely?

mdyde

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 1:56 pm

Thanks, Paul.

No -- the new options and other v6 changes wouldn't, in themselves, affect overall amplitude.
Best regards, Martin.

pasterkamp

PostThu Dec 24, 2020 4:02 am

Last week I was playing around with the audio settings.

I found out that if you use the HD settings together with 96khz that the processor gets a lot of trouble. Especially if you want to go full on the organ. Within seconds, the processor turns red and the audio starts ticking.

Then my processor overclocked from standard 4000 to Max 4500 mHz. The voltages are automatically adjusted along with the multiplier

Again full on the organ. Now the processor was running up but not as fast as before.
So the next step. The buffer size is set to 1024. This, therefore, also adjusted in the sound card, usually goes automatically

Note that everything is still on HD audio plus 96KHz. Then everything opened again and rattled a lot. Processor ran up to 85%. And the audio tapping started again.

Then I lowered the polyphony, tested it again on various samples, taking into account all control windows from CPU Z and HWI info. This to also keep an eye on the temperatures because it also rose to 85 degrees

I could play quite a bit and also full, but I didn't trust it anyway. Even now the processor continued to run at 65% power. Still, every now and then the tapping through my speakers started.
I then turned off the HD audio and left only the 96kHz

Again fully played everything open play hard with everything at the same time plus pedals. The processor now stuck at 30%, no tapping was detected. Then set my buffer back to 512 and my polyphony increased again. The processor could handle it ran up to 40%. Then the buffer reduced to 256. Now the processor was at 43%.

Then I clocked my processor back to 4300 MHZ with the multiplier at 42

Everything tested again. Now it has risen to 51%. I was satisfied
But now comes the question. Using everything at the same time. So HD. Plus 96KHz. Is too much of a good thing. It's either or
What is the relationship between these two variants now you should only use HD at 48 KHz. Or just 96KHz.

Now I have tried all variants, and yet when I switch on both HD plus 96 KHz, it is like an organ is added. so beautiful such a beautiful reverb and so transparent.

So I decided to replace my proc the I7 6700K with the I7 7700K.
This is already set at 4.2 Ghz and can be overclocked to almost 5Ghz plus it is already 133,000 Mhz by default so that my memory is also faster.

My Mobo can handle it, so everything runs at peak power. Now then the tapping will almost disappear (I hope)
today messed a lot with all kinds of settings and voltages etc. etc. at one point blue screens, and a refusal from the Ilok due to delayed startup.
Then I took the plunge, I will and must get a system where the audio thing will run at its peak.

Finally, and the most important thing I found out yesterday

When I turn on IR, the processor almost jumps to top height, with all the consequences. At certain registers, the audio starts ticking while the processor is at 60%. with tuttie it is three times ramming the keyboards, and it ends immediately. That is With HD and 96 KHz with the audio buffer at 1024.

So without using IR, the system can handle it reasonably well. But as soon as the IR is switched on, playing a lot goes horribly wrong. speakers keep ticking

So far my findings so far

greetings Henk

mdyde

PostThu Dec 24, 2020 4:19 am

Hello Henk,

Yes -- the new options ('high definition pitch-shifting' and 96 kHz) are certainly CPU-intensive, especially if using impulse response reverb as well, and even more so at small buffer sizes. More CPU cores and/or higher CPU clock speeds should help (all else being equal).

Note also that a 512-frame buffer at 48 kHz has ~10.7ms of buffer latency, whereas for the same buffer latency at 96 kHz you would use a buffer size of 1024 frames. Hence if using 96 kHz you can effectively afford to use twice the buffer size, compared to 48 kHz, which may help with CPU load.
Best regards, Martin.

pasterkamp

PostThu Dec 24, 2020 4:30 am

thank you for your prompt reply.

The new processor arrives today.
Hopefully the installation will go a bit better afterwards.
I'm an audio freak. I therefore already work with 12 speakers and 3 RME audio interfaces including the RME UCX and two RME Adat pro fs da converters.
So today that will be a lot of tinkering and overclocking

greetings Henk Pasterkamp
from the Netherlands

mdyde

PostThu Dec 24, 2020 5:14 am

Thanks, Henk.

Hope the new CPU helps, and have a good Christmas.
Best regards, Martin.

Jan Loosman

PostFri Dec 25, 2020 6:06 am

This is what Bob Katz says in a article regarding higher sample rates.

Yet people reliably report that high sample rates like 88.2 and 96 KHz sound better than 44.1 and 48 KHz. The reason for this, as the legendary mastering engineer Bob Katz explains, is in the way currently designed digital to audio converters (DACs) work. When converting from digital to analog for playback, it is very difficult and expensive to produce an undistorted signal with lower sample rates like 44.1 or 48 KHz. There are at present no commercially available systems that can reproduce these sample rates without distortion. However, once you are at a high sample rate like 88.2 or 96 KHz a good converter can produce a completely undistorted analog signal with ease. So the difference people are hearing, is not the high frequency content, but the fact that lower sample rates cause the converters to distort the analog signal. For the tech minded, this is due to ripples in the bandpass filter cased by restricted high pass bandwidth in lower sample rates.

This also explains the audible improvements in V6 96khz output.

Jan
Last edited by Jan Loosman on Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jan Loosman

PostFri Dec 25, 2020 4:31 pm

I have my new setup up and running now, all in Hd and 96khz
What can i say ?.
wow!!
A new level of realisme has been reached. I think you have to hear it to believe it.
The upgrade from V5 to V6 is worth every penny if you have the cpu power to accomodate it.

Jan
PreviousNext

Return to General discussion