It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:16 pm

Hauptwerk V6 Audio! Wow!

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

mdyde

Re: Hauptwerk V6 Audio! Wow!

PostSat Dec 26, 2020 4:26 am

Thanks very much, Jan. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

münsterorganist

PostSat Dec 26, 2020 8:40 am

Dear Jan, can you exactly say, what is your hardware Setup, your mainboard and Chip..... Thnk you.

Jan Loosman

PostSat Dec 26, 2020 9:22 am

My cpu is the Amd rijzen 5950X on the asrock X570 creator with 128gb ddr4 ram and 2x 2 tb ssd

münsterorganist

PostSat Dec 26, 2020 10:44 am

Thank you for your quickly answer and best regards.

Jan Loosman

PostSun Dec 27, 2020 5:00 am

münsterorganist wrote:Thank you for your quickly answer and best regards.

also important which i forgot to mention is to use a good cpu cooler .
I use the Scythe mugen 5 pcgh with double cpu fans. Very silent good cooler.

Best regards Jan

brooke.benfield

PostMon Dec 28, 2020 12:56 pm

I also upgraded to V6.

My computer is a fairly capable Corei7 (don't remember exact model). In V5 I ran the PAB Gravissimo with release tails truncated to 180mS, no IR and a 256 sample audio buffer.

Upon installing V6 the only changes I made was moving the sample rate up to 96K and enabling the HD pitch-shifting and when I played some busy music on near full organ and the polyphony bar graph barely moved.

I could definitely tell that the higher pitches were clearer. The most telling to my ear was the difference when playing 8' and 4' principals together. The 4' was much clearer against the 8' than in V5. Also the 2' Doublette on the positive stood out more clearly than in V4/V5 when played with the 8' & 4' principals. I'm very pleased.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR

mdyde

PostMon Dec 28, 2020 1:38 pm

Thanks, Brooke. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

Antoni Scott

PostFri Jan 22, 2021 5:26 am

I have been reading about the improvements in the audio resulting in more realism of sound. Will my sound be improved to the fullest extent that Version VI provides even if I am using a vintage computer (in my case the MacPro 12 core from 2010 or 2011, not sure which one) ? I'm concerned that my computer's internal workings or my external sound card may not be compatible with the latest audio software improvements in Version VI.
I'm reading about complaints with purchasing Version VI as a subscription (not even sure what that means). Do I get a physical disc to install or is everything a download ? Is this purchase a final one or am I obligated to pay more later on ?
All my Hauptwerk discs were purchased outright.
Antoni

mdyde

PostFri Jan 22, 2021 5:55 am

Hello Antoni,

Thanks for the continued interest in v6.

Antoni Scott wrote:Will my sound be improved to the fullest extent that Version VI provides even if I am using a vintage computer (in my case the MacPro 12 core from 2010 or 2011, not sure which one) ? I'm concerned that my computer's internal workings or my external sound card may not be compatible with the latest audio software improvements in Version VI.

If your computer is compatible with v5 then it will also be compatible with v6 -- there are no changes in platform prerequisites between the two versions, so if your computer can run v5 then it can run v6, as I covered in more detail in your previous topics:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19390
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19185&start=45#p145935

If you want to use Hauptwerk v6's 96 kHz audio output option then your audio interface will need to support 96 kHz. Any professional/semi-professional audio interface made in the past 15 or so years will almost certainly be capable of 96 kHz audio output, but you could check your interface's specifications or documentation to verify that if needed.

The two new higher-quality audio options are more CPU-intensive. Any v5/v6-compatible computer will be able to use them, but if you enable both of the higher-quality options (for maximum audio quality) then you will need to reduce you polyphony limit setting to about 25% of the value that you would use in v5 (or in v6 if you don't have the two higher-quality audio options turned on). Thus you would be able to play considerably less pipes at once. That probably isn't too much of a limitation with a 12-core computer, but it's something to be aware of.

However, bear in mind that the two new higher-quality audio options are indeed options -- you don't have to turn either or both of them on, and one of them ('higher-definition pitch-shifting') is a per-organ option, so you could turn it on for organs that your computer can manage easily, and turn it off for very large organs if you found that those organs struggled with it on your computer.

Antoni Scott wrote:I'm reading about complaints with purchasing Version VI as a subscription (not even sure what that means). Do I get a physical disc to install or is everything a download ? Is this purchase a final one or am I obligated to pay more later on ?
All my Hauptwerk discs were purchased outright.

The Hauptwerk software needs to be downloaded from the main Hauptwerk website -- it's no longer sent on a physical DVD/CD.

As with Hauptwerk v5, you can either buy a standard 'perpetual' licence upgrade, or a subscription. If you currently have a (standard perpetual, i.e. non-subscription) licence for the v5 Advanced Edition, then buying this upgrade would upgrade it to a v6 Advanced Edition perpetual licence:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/upgrade-advan ... perpetual/

Once purchased, a v6 perpetual licence allows you to use v6 indefinitely -- you wouldn't subsequently need to pay anything else to keep using v6.

I hope that helps.
Best regards, Martin.

Antoni Scott

PostFri Jan 22, 2021 7:58 am

Thanks for the recent reply regarding audio compatibility with Version VI. My "sound Card" I believe is the PreSonus thing that I got in 2007, that will be 14 years ago. I suppose I could check twith Pre-Sonus to see if those spec requirements that were posted will work but it's unfortunate that DVD's of Version VI are no longer available. Creating back-up copies of downloaded software has been problematic. When you need to re-install in another computer something is always missing and it doesn't downlod.

mdyde

PostFri Jan 22, 2021 8:21 am

Thanks, Antoni.

Antoni Scott wrote: believe is the PreSonus thing that I got in 2007, that will be 14 years ago. I suppose I could check twith Pre-Sonus to see if those spec requirements that were posted will work

It will almost certainly support 96 kHz. If you do an Internet search for its model name, you will probably be able to find its specifications. (Or let us know its model name if you need us to help with that.)

Antoni Scott wrote: it's unfortunate that DVD's of Version VI are no longer available. Creating back-up copies of downloaded software has been problematic. When you need to re-install in another computer something is always missing and it doesn't downlod.

The easiest way to back up a download file is simply to copy the downloaded file itself to a USB memory stick, then keep that USB memory stick somewhere safe.
Best regards, Martin.

Antoni Scott

PostFri Jan 22, 2021 8:57 am

Hello Martin:
As always, you are forever helpful. I'll have to take the top of my console off to check the unit, and send you the specs. I misplaced the paperwork years ago. I do remember Brett getting it for me when I bought the entire system. The only reason I would be upgrading is for the improved audio, everything else is just fine. As you know I am challenged when it comes to any of this digital stuff although I have done pretty well for myself considering my lack of knowledge. I will have to seek out a technician to perform the upgrade. The person I used for my Version V upgrade moved out of the area. Too bad, he was knowledgeable about Macs and a musician so my Hauptwerk fascinated him.
Antoni

mdyde

PostFri Jan 22, 2021 8:59 am

Thanks, Antoni. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

vpo-organist

PostFri Jan 22, 2021 2:43 pm

Jan Loosman wrote:My cpu is the Amd rijzen 5950X on the asrock X570 creator with 128gb ddr4 ram and 2x 2 tb ssd

Hello Jan,

how busy is your system or the 5950X with the two HD options? Could a smaller CPU also be enough?

HeAu

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 6:00 am

Dear Antoni!

If you intend to use HW6 "indefinitely" you should not miss to save the most recent licencing package too. You will have to take into account that the layout of the file possibly will become changed for future versions or it will become obsolete. If my understanding of the docs is correct, without the correct version of the licensing package you won't be able to load licensed organs that are newer than the licensing package.

Rgds
heau
PreviousNext

Return to General discussion