It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:53 am

Which editing software do you use for YouTube?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

B777Captain

Which editing software do you use for YouTube?

PostFri Dec 18, 2020 4:59 pm

Just realized I can’t use iMovie for combining phone video with HW audio since I have a PC for the HW setup.

Wondering which software you all use and/or prefer for recording this way to both Contrebombarde and YouTube.

Thanks

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

IanPounder

Re: Which editing software do you use for YouTube?

tf11972

PostSat Dec 19, 2020 5:03 am

Adobe Premiere Pro
Best regards
Thomas

Forestpipes - Virtual Pipe Organs
https://forestpipes.de

organassist

PostSun Dec 20, 2020 8:00 am

I am in a similar situation but all I do is save the HW audio to a file, copy it to a USB stick and then use iMovie to edit and overlay the video with the audio from HW. It takes a little adjustment to get the audio/video sync correct but by making the storyboard as wide as possible, you can adjust the sync by very small increments.

David

david515mi

PostTue Dec 22, 2020 3:07 pm

Where can I go to learn more about adjusting sync in iMovie? Today I made my first attempt at an audio/video recording: audio from the HW recorder, video on an iPhone. It was a short piece, less than 4 minutes. I established sync at the beginning by playing a chord and matching them up, but by half-way through the piece, the video was a bit behind the audio. We fiddled with it quite a bit, but really didn’t know exactly what to do.

Thanks,
David

organassist

PostTue Dec 22, 2020 3:19 pm

Ah - that is a problem. I have been recording using an iPad Pro and the synchronisation holds once I get the start right.
I don't know how easy this will be but you can adjust the speed of a video clip. Control click on the video and select Show Speed Editor. This gives you a circle in the top right of the clip. Drag this and it will change the length of time the clip takes. However, I have not tried this to synchronise a performance - it could be the drift is not constant, in which case this is not a good solution. Hope this information helps.

David

vpo-organist

PostTue Dec 22, 2020 4:50 pm

IanPounder wrote:https://www.openshot.org/

I tried this software with Win10 - after installing and the first execute it starts with an error message.
I've Python 3.x installed. You notice immediately that it has not been tested for Windows and that Windows is not the target platform. It doesn't work without tinkering. Linux users are used to this, but under Windows you get the crisis :-/

Hoofdwerk

PostTue Dec 22, 2020 6:36 pm

vpo-organist wrote:
IanPounder wrote:https://www.openshot.org/

I tried this software with Win10 - after installing and the first execute it starts with an error message.
I've Python 3.x installed. You notice immediately that it has not been tested for Windows and that Windows is not the target platform. It doesn't work without tinkering. Linux users are used to this, but under Windows you get the crisis :-/

For Windows open source, you can try Shot Cut instead. https://shotcut.org/ I've had good experience with it, except that every now and then it just disappears. Poof. Save frequently if you do a lot of editing. But it is generally great and free is a very good price.

IanPounder

PostThu Dec 24, 2020 5:03 am

I have used OpenShot frequently since the March lockdown, with Windows 10 on an old i7 based PC. No problems at all, and no need for tinkering.

B777Captain

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 2:32 pm

Thanks guys for the great suggestions!

I have an odd situation in that I use a PC for my HW and the recording function but I use either my MacBook or iPad for using the iMovie. It was mentioned to use a USB transfer from the HW PC and transfer it over to the MacBook which is a great idea (I had not thought of!) so thanks for that.

But my phone for the video is an Android and it’s problematic to get the video over to iMovie format. Why oh why don’t Apple and Microsoft/Android/ et al, play nice together??? Would probably bring world peace if it ever happened!!! Lol

I suppose I could try to take the video using my iPad but I have usually attached my smaller android on a camera stand pod which works nice. Don’t think the iPad will work well due to it’s size up there.... Sighhhh.

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

B777Captain

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 2:38 pm

David....

May I ask what you use for the video part of your HW music? I”m using my Android, but it’s problematic getting it over to iMovie.

Thanks

Pat

organassist wrote:I am in a similar situation but all I do is save the HW audio to a file, copy it to a USB stick and then use iMovie to edit and overlay the video with the audio from HW. It takes a little adjustment to get the audio/video sync correct but by making the storyboard as wide as possible, you can adjust the sync by very small increments.

David
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

vpo-organist

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 5:07 pm

Hoofdwerk wrote:For Windows open source, you can try Shot Cut instead. https://shotcut.org/ I've had good experience with it, except that every now and then it just disappears. Poof. Save frequently if you do a lot of editing. But it is generally great and free is a very good price.

Thanks for the suggestion! I want to show screenshots of the current registration to go with the audio recording. That seems to work well! As AVI format it works fine, but it uses a lot of memory. With MP4, the video track is not displayed. Do you have any idea what the problem might be?

Best regards
vpo

Edit:
It seems to be a bug. Many people have the problem with a black background instead of the video.
With AVI and MOV it works. MOV is also sufficiently well compressed.

vpo-organist

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 10:25 am

Keynote and iMovie is the solution for Mac users. I have tried it out and am very satisfied. As soon as I make my next recording, I'll let you know. The learning curve was really short and easy!

Return to General discussion