It is currently Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:18 pm

New "Queen of Sheba" transcription

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

ldeutsch

New "Queen of Sheba" transcription

PostTue Dec 29, 2020 3:27 pm

Everyone,

Happy holidays!

I have spent part of my pandemic period transcribing various pieces for concert organ. Today I announce my transcription of G. F. Handel's "Arrival of the Queen of Sheba" from the oratorio "Solomon." I know there are many transcriptions of this piece for organ already, but when I decided I wanted to add it to my own repertoire, I found I really did not like any of these - at least the ones I could find. Hence, I went to the score from Solomon and some reference recordings and created my own.

My overall goal in this transcription was to preserve the interplay (and occasional ensemble) between the oboes and strings. The result is not particularly difficult, at least not compared with my transcriptions of von Suppe's works. I hope others will find this both accessible and useful.

You can find the sheet music and a recording I made (using Evensong's Pasadena Presbyterian Church sample set) on my web site here

http://www.nightbloomingjazzmen.com/Les_Sheet_Music.html

As always, feel free to download and use any of my transcriptions and arrangements. All I ask is that I get appropriate credit if you perform or record them.

By the way, I am working on my largest transcription project to date right now. It is in final editing and I am recording some of it too. I hope to release it very soon.

Les

Return to General discussion