It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:19 am

Have any of you ever played the pedals....

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

B777Captain

Have any of you ever played the pedals....

PostMon Mar 01, 2021 2:02 pm

.... When you were NOT sitting at the console?? :-)

For example, the funniest times I can think of for me, was when I’d be flying long haul in the B777 for hours and hours and it could get mundane at times, So I would start to move my feet and legs while sitting in the left seat... and always “play” the same pedal theme to my all time favorite, the Jig Fugue... at 36,000 feet!! Lol. My trusty First Officer would hear the tapping on the floor and would look over at me doing this and ask, “What are you doing”. And I’d say... Oh, I’m playing the pedal theme to the Jig Fugue. They didn’t get the sheer joy I got from doing that!! Lol.

The funny thing about it is... I can play that little bit of the pedal piece on my organ but don’t have the training or skills to play it with the melody on the keyboards simultaneously.

It dawned on me that I can’t be the only one who does this.... Am I??? Lol.

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

Sylvaticus

Re: Have any of you ever played the pedals....

PostMon Mar 01, 2021 4:16 pm

In my teen years, I would listen to E Power Biggs playing Bach while lying on my bed, and found it very natural to pretend to play the pedals along with the recording. I was then playing a Hammond in church with only one octave of pedals, so nothing else to practice on. It became very obvious why both feet were necessary. :)

They say that watching someone else shoot baskets on a basketball court and pretending in your mind's eye that it is actually you doing it, actually helps your ability to hit the hoop yourself. It never worked for me with basketball :) but it rather seemed to as regards organ pedaling, because I found pedaling pretty easy once I actually got access to an instrument with a full set.

StephenM

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 6:46 pm

Pat,
I have the opposite problem.
Recent surgery on my left leg prevented me from pedalling the organ. No problem .... Hauptwerk couples the kbs to the pedal board and ................... how lazy am I?

Now my leg is OK but I love the pedal coupling.

Lazy pedalling with my hands!

Stephen

dw154515

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 6:48 pm

Actually, I got pulled over one time for driving rather erratically for this very reason....

Apparently, "I'm sorry, officer, but I was listening to Ives' "Variations on America,"" is not a valid excuse out of a speeding ticket. Who knew!?

I played the pedals as fast as my feet could go.
Drew A. Worthen
Master of Music in Composition - Butler University
http://www.drewworthen.com
Director of Music & Website Admin - Greenwood UMC
http://www.greenwoodumc.org
Design Engineer - American Sound and Electronics - Indy
https://americansound.cc/

player10

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 4:44 pm

I once read that after Mendelssohn discovered the Bach Prelude and Fugue in a minor, he found himself "pedaling the fugue while walking down the street." So Pat you are in good company. I confess to doing similar on occasion but sitting no while walking.

Player10

Return to General discussion