It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:49 am

The Mascioni - Grabowski backstory

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Lauwerk

The Mascioni - Grabowski backstory

PostSat Apr 03, 2021 1:35 am

John Hoopes, the organist who brought together organ builder Andrea Mascioni, Hauptwerk, and sample set producer Piotr Grabowski:

https://www.ksl.com/article/50136048/modern-technology-allows-organ-enthusiast-to-play-italys-oldest-instruments-from-his-utah-home
Don Vlazny

IainStinson

Re: The Mascioni - Grabowski backstory

PostSat Apr 03, 2021 3:35 am

The URL above presently goes to a page which says ‘Forbidden ‘. Pity, this might have been interesting.
Many will have seen this page https://www.mascioni-organs.com/en/mascioni-hauptwerk/ on the Mascioni site.

voet

PostSat Apr 03, 2021 7:59 am

The link seems to be working now. I just went to it and listened to the video. What a great story. Thank you for sharing it.

IainStinson

PostSat Apr 03, 2021 8:30 am

(Still) doesn't seem to work for me (on three different network providers...) Has anyone outside the US got this link to work please?
Iain

Edit: Got something (related) with this link.....
https://ktvz.com/news/national-world/2021/04/01/modern-technology-allows-organ-enthusiast-to-play-italys-oldest-instruments-from-his-utah-home/
Hoopes felt a special connection with the Mascioni organs and wanted to be able to continue playing the instruments once he returned back to the United States after his 18-month mission. So he showed Mascioni a virtual pipe organ program called Hauptwerk that samples organs and allows users to play the high-quality sound from a laptop.

“The technology is relatively simple. I guess you just go into a church or your place where an organ is, and you record a sample because you just do it for about 5 to 10 seconds of each pipe,” Hoopes explained. “Then you just make that so that when someone plugs in a keyboard … they’re playing that pipe.”

Mascioni agreed to have the organ sampled and Hoopes ended up getting in touch with a Polish man named Piotr Grabowski, who has experience sampling many organs. Hoopes asked if he would be interested in traveling down to Italy to sample the Mascioni organ in Azzio chapel.

Grabowski agreed, and after arriving he started sampling the pipe organ at 8:30 p.m. and finished at 9 a.m. the next morning — something Hoopes said he purposely did to reduce the risk of background sounds.

“I actually get a higher quality recording playing the same organ at home than I do if I could go to Italy and play it there,” Hoopes said.

It's that easy! (?????)

murph

PostSat Apr 03, 2021 9:38 am

The link woks fine in Dublin. Must be another of those Brexit consequences that no-one thought of.

Return to General discussion