It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 am

Audacity - quick-start guide

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Andrew Grahame

Audacity - quick-start guide

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 9:30 pm

Many Hauptwerk users would already be familiar with the free audio editing software "Audacity". For those who are new to the world of audio editing, you may like to read the quick-start guide to Audacity which I wrote a few years ago.

From 2001 until 2019 I presented monthly radio broadcasts of organ music on the Sydney radio station "Fine Music 102.5 FM" on behalf of the Organ Music Society of Sydney. When I started there were no computers in the studios, and all studio equipment was analog. Computers were later introduced, along with conversion of studio controls to digital operation. For audio recording and editing we installed a program called "Cool Edit" in all of the station's computers.

Several years ago the owners of the licensing rights to Cool Edit changed their approach to licences upon releasing a major upgrade to the software. Instead of a one-off lifetime purchase price allowing for the program to be installed in all of the station's computers as previously, they switched to charging a hefty annual subscription per computer. The new total cost of maintaining the Cool Edit licence immediately became prohibitive for our subscriber-funded volunteer-staffed radio station - so we switched to using Audacity as it is free.

Most of the volunteer staff at Fine Music 102.5 FM are older, often giving of their time in retirement. Learning Cool Edit and indeed learning computer skills in general had been a challenge for some, and the proposed conversion to Audacity was not well received by all. With my background as a teacher, and with an existing knowledge of Audacity because I'd used it privately for some years, I was the logical person to help bridge the gap. I wrote a "quick-start guide" to help transition presenters and producers from Cool Edit to Audacity.

I didn't attempt to write a complete user guide - there was no need to do this as one already exists online from the Audacity website. I aimed simply to give users a foot in the door, so to speak, with the basics.

This link takes you to where a PDF copy of my quick-start guide can be downloaded. You will need to supply an email address in order to be granted access.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uulwhq ... sp=sharing

engrssc

Re: Audacity - quick-start guide

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 9:37 am

Getting access denied message even tho Google has accepted username and password.

Rgds,
Ed

Andrew Grahame

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 9:46 am

Hi Ed,

I’ve now added your name in the sharing settings. Try again, and this time the document should open.

Andrew

itsabird

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 10:16 am

I succeeded in getting it from Google Drive, but had to sent a request first. Perhaps Andrew granted me access. Anyway, thanks for the handy guide.
bert

Andrew Grahame

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 10:21 am

When the link is clicked, a message is sent to me requesting access. I then add this name to the sharing settings. There may be a delay - depending on when I see the message and can then respond. Access is granted manually to each request in turn.

engrssc

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 10:24 am

Well done, Andrew, good info. Will need to "translate" it into PC.

Rgds,
Ed

Andrew Grahame

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 12:38 pm

Thank you, Ed!

Return to General discussion