It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:15 am

H.M.S. Pinafore Overture

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

ldeutsch

H.M.S. Pinafore Overture

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 8:44 am

Everyone,

I have recorded my latest orchestral transcription for concert organ: The overture to Gilbert and Sullivan's "H.M.S. Pinafore." Here is a link to the recording:

http://www.nightbloomingjazzmen.com/Organ%20Recordings/H.M.S.%20Pinafore%20Overture.mp3

I recorded this on my recently-acquired four-manual custom 1995 Rodgers organ. For this recording, I used the Concert 125 sample set from Silver Octopus, which I reprogrammed through the CODM to match the specifications of my instrument.

As always, you are are welcome to download the sheet music for this transcription. All of my publicly-available transcriptions are found here:

http://www.nightbloomingjazzmen.com/Les_Sheet_Music.html

I only ask that if you perform or record any of these that you give me credit as the arranger.

Les

einer_von_weitem

Re: H.M.S. Pinafore Overture

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 6:49 am

What fun! Thank you!
My Hauptwerk recordings on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJu6YY ... XMA/videos

engrssc

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 3:19 pm

ldeutsch wrote:I recorded this on my recently-acquired four-manual custom 1995 Rodgers organ.

Nice, Les. Any current pictures of the console?

Rgds,
Ed

ldeutsch

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 3:00 pm

Ed,

We have fixed some wood blemish issues on the console - but nothing you can see from a small photo. Otherwise, all the latest work is inside the console. I have assembled a small rack of equipment that sis in the console and provides all the mixing and amplification needed for the Rodger's 24 audio channels. After the organ moves into the living room, it will connect to my existing seven Rodgers speakers as well as three HW powered monitors. Yesterday I finished creating a headphone capability that works for both the Rodgers voices and HW.

Les

engrssc

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 3:12 pm

Thanks for the reply, Les. Always Interested in your many forms of creativity. Presently also working on a (new to me) Allen 4 manual console. Biggest challenge is creating/installing reed switches on the manuals. Former whisker contacts intermittent after all efforts to make them functional.

Rgds,
Ed

ldeutsch

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 6:15 pm

Ed,

I actually have never had to replace key contacts on any of my organ projects. Perhaps I am just lucky. Even on my 1960s era theater organ console, I was able to clean the wire and bus contacts well enough - and I wired three sets in parallel for redundancy.

I have never used chemicals on key contacts. Following the advise of an organ technician from decades ago, I use a minor abrasive to clean dirt of the rods to which the Rodgers gold-coated whiskers contact. I use the BACK (SMOOTH) SIDE of a small sheet of emory paper. If there is a lot of build up, I use the front side.

For my "new" 4-manual Rodgers, it came with a technician work session. The technician used a small needle file to do the same thing. All the keys work great despite the age of the organ.

Les

Return to General discussion