It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:16 am

quick change instruments?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

valentini

quick change instruments?

PostMon May 10, 2021 5:19 pm

Another newbie question:

I'm gonna need to switch very quickly between a harpsichord sample set and an organ sample set (like, a couple mouse clicks quick...). I'll likely use some sounds on the St. Anne's for my organ and the Sygsoft sample set for my harpsichord. Is there an obvious way to shift between the configurations I settle on (like, hpschd <--> organ)?

Really, if you think there's an answer that's so obvious that it's not worth mentioning, _that's_ the kind of answer I need!

thanks.

IainStinson

Re: quick change instruments?

PostMon May 10, 2021 6:07 pm

If you need to change the sound to the harpsichord as quickly as drawing a stop then you need an organ which includes the harpsichord samples. (Loading any sample set to replace the current instrument is going to take longer that a couple of mouse clicks.) You could create one if you used the custom organ facility with HW and had a suitable set of samples. You might consider an instrument which includes a harpsichord such as https://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/organs/harpsichords-etc/claviorganum-sonus-paradisi.html.

Iain

mnailor

PostMon May 10, 2021 6:28 pm

Switching samplesets always takes time, and even if you get it down to 15 seconds for small sets, the computer might stall returning memory and make it too variable for performance.

Using the SP claviorganum as Iain suggested, and optionally adding some reverb since it's a dry set, is exactly what you asked to do. Only 69 euros.

lefranc22

PostTue May 11, 2021 3:17 am

engrssc

PostTue May 11, 2021 3:36 am

Yes, it can be done in a slightly unconventional way. That being we split the MIDI output of the Choir manual, one output going to the HW computer and the other MIDI output connected thru a separate MIDI adapter to a MacMini. In our case, we have a Ravenscroft 275 from ViLabs

https://www.vilabsaudio.com/Ravenscroft-By-VI-Labs

loaded in the Mini. The Mini audio out goes to a separate amp and speaker system built into the organ console. In other words two separate instruments. The MIDI feeding the Mac is controlled by a drawknob. In place of the Ravenscroft, you could substitute a harpsichord sample such as

https://www.modartt.com/harpsichord

which is independent of Hauptwerk and doesn't require iLok.

We did something similar by splitting the MIDI output of the Great to play real Deagon chimes.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostTue May 11, 2021 3:51 am

Hello valentini,

To add to others' replies, aside from taking a certain amount of time for loading a different sample set, it's certainly possible to perform the switch within Hauptwerk with just one or two mouse clicks (or MIDI piston/button presses) by assigning the two sample sets as 'favourite organs'. (That's covered in the 'Loading and assigning favorite organs' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide -- pages 79-82 in the current v6.0.2 version: https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/ .)

Edit: P.S. I see Ed and I replied at the same time.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostTue May 11, 2021 4:12 am

Adding to our above post, any HW organ can be loaded and played (normally) simultaneously with a sample instrument loaded into the MacMini.

Rgds,
Ed

organsRgreat

PostTue May 11, 2021 6:02 am

The Modartt harpsichord that Ed included a link to:

https://www.modartt.com/harpsichord

can run as a VST plugin. So if you set up Hauptwerk to work with a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) such as Reaper, it would be possible to have organ stops on one or more manuals, and the harpsichord on another - instant access!

That harpsichord is part of the Pianoteq system, which uses physical modelling to provide very realistic simulations of a wide range of pianos, as well as harpsichords and related instruments. I prefer Pianoteq to sampled pianos, but that is a matter of opinion.

I use Hauptwerk mainly for its theatre organs, and bought Pianoteq because theatre organs often had grand piano attachments. I can confirm that using Hauptwerk with Reaper and Pianoteq works perfectly.

engrssc

PostTue May 11, 2021 9:08 am

Certainly a viable option to use Reaper.

https://www.reaper.fm/purchase.php

Which ever way, this procedure to do a quick change is a bit involved, altho doable. If the need is to make the quick change during a live performance, using a mouse isn't the best way. .

This quick change thing often comes up when clients see an Allen demo of changing from a classical to a theatre organ at the push of a button. They ask, 'Why can't HW do that' ???

I had a client who "needed" this feature. I proposed a dual system, with 2 computers, 2 licenses etc.. So far they settled for one organ style at a time. Maybe in the future? :roll: .

Rgds,
Ed

ldeutsch

PostTue May 11, 2021 1:16 pm

I have given concerts where I have assigned organ-loads to pistons. You can do this with any MIDI switch. Even if the organ takes 30 seconds to load, the time is easily covered by my in-between-piece announcements!

Les

Return to General discussion