It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:35 pm

Hauptwerk VI - subscription or purchase?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

rswift

Hauptwerk VI - subscription or purchase?

PostThu May 13, 2021 6:17 am

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, so please move it if necessary.

My trial of Haupwerk VI runs out today and I intend purchasing the advanced edition. I am wondering what the pros and cons are for the subscription versus perpetual licence are (apart from the initial cash flow difference)?

Regards,
Richard

mdyde

Re: Hauptwerk VI - subscription or purchase?

PostThu May 13, 2021 6:30 am

Hello Richard,

[Topic moved here.]

Thanks very much for the intention to buy a licence.

Functionally, the only differences are that, in the case of a subscription licence, you need to keep paying the subscription, and refresh the Hauptwerk licence in iLok License Manager once per subscription period (e.g. year, for yearly subscriptions) in order to be able to keep using Hauptwerk (otherwise Hauptwerk would stop working unless/until you subsequently restarted the subscription or purchased a perpetual licence). A perpetual licence will never stop working (assuming you continue to have a computer that's compatible with the platform prerequisites of the Hauptwerk version that you had purchased).

Subscription licences include upgrades to subsequent major Hauptwerk versions, whereas with perpetual licences you would need to pay to upgrade to subsequent major version numbers. (The upgrade from a v5 perpetual Advanced Edition licence to a v6 perpetual Advanced Edition licence was $99, for example.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

rswift

PostThu May 13, 2021 9:53 am

Thanks Martin,

I assume that means I would need to refresh the Hauptwerk licence in iLok each month if I choose the monthly subscription?

From other posts, as I'll be using iLok Cloud, there won't be a licensing issue with iLok when I get a new PC as long as I log out of iLok Cloud on the old one first?

Regards,
Richard

mdyde

PostThu May 13, 2021 10:08 am

Thanks, Richard.

rswift wrote:I assume that means I would need to refresh the Hauptwerk licence in iLok each month if I choose the monthly subscription?

Correct. (Or iLok License Manager might perhaps refresh the licence automatically, given that you'd be using iLok Cloud. If you find it doesn't, you would just need to select 'Licenses | Refresh Subscriptions' in iLok License Manager on those occasions.)

rswift wrote:From other posts, as I'll be using iLok Cloud, there won't be a licensing issue with iLok when I get a new PC as long as I log out of iLok Cloud on the old one first?

Correct. Hauptwerk licences aren't computer-specific, so you can freely move them around amongst your various computers, as long as only is running Hauptwerk at any given time (with that one being logged into iLok Cloud, or with your iLok dongle attached, whichever is applicable).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to General discussion