It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:20 am

Upgrading to better technology

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

mdyde

Re: Which option to choose ?

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 4:08 am

Hello Antoni,

This is the FAQ topic from when v5 was first released that Mark (mnailor) was referring to:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833

However, the licensing sections in the user guide and release notice cover it too, and are the most up-to-date sources, so please have a read through those:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/

In your case I would recommend:

- First buy a iLok 3 dongle. Get the USB 2.0 version (not the newer USB-C) version, since that won't be compatible with your 2011 Mac Pro). You can buy iLok dongles from almost any musical equipment shop, for example.

- Buy the 'Upgrade Advanced v4 to Advanced v6 Perpetual' upgrade from MDA's shop:
https://www.hauptwerk.com/upgrade-advan ... perpetual/
It upgrades to a perpetual v6 licence, as your v4 licence was. You can then get the technician who does the upgrade for you to put the licence onto your iLok dongle, so that you won't subsequently need an Internet connection to your Mac Pro.

- Also buy this item from MDA's on-line shop:
https://www.hauptwerk.com/hauptwerk-v-l ... migration/
... which will be needed for migrating your existing v4 sample set licences to v5+.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Antoni Scott

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 7:11 am

Thanks Guys and thanks Martin:
Always, always helpful. Gosh, I feel like a dynasaur from a previous age with all this computer stuff. Put me inside the guts of an old pipe organ with thousands of miles of 23g copper wire and dozens of 61 note switches and relays, etc., and I'm right at home.

I'll print out the email that Martin posted below and give it to my computer guy and we'll see if he understands all of this. I think I just found this Mac expert in my area who I contacted and he sounds confident about installing OSX 10.14 on my old Mac. He doesn't yet know about about downloading the Hauptwerk Version VI yet, or the new-type of dongle.

So much has changed since 2008, it's hard to keep up with. Speaking of dongles and hackers. I knew that was coming. Those hackers. I guess that's why my paranoia is justified in having my Mac a stand-alone computer not connected to the Internet. It's worked for me so far for the last twenty-three years.

All aside, clearly Hauptwerk has taken the planet by storm. It's STILL the best. Back in 2007, no one had heard of it. Today, even some diehard pipe organists that poo-poo'd Hauptwerk in the past are now secretly or openly embracing it.
Antoni

Antoni Scott

Re: Upgrading to better technology

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 7:54 am

Hello Martin:
Thanks for the continued support. I remember the lengthy instruction sheet you created for me back in 2014-5 for my Mac tech to follow when he installed Version 4.2. You also said at that time to completely delete the earlier version to get a "clean install". Your continued support is greatly appreciated and shows your dedication to your product.

Since I decided to upgrade to Version VI, I also decided to get two new SATA 1 or 2 TB drives. They're cheap. The older drives are still working but after 5 plus years of daily usage I don't want to take a chance. The second drive will be a dupicate of the first so in the case of a drive failure I'll have the backup drive. I'll take two of the old drives out and replace them with the new SATA drives. It's so easy with the MacPro that you just pull them out. I have four drive bays and can easily switch between them. I do it all the time.

Installing new SATA drives is cheap insurance and also that way there won't be any previous info on them to possible cause conflicts.

Antoni

engrssc

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 7:56 am

I would suggest making a complete backup of your system before doing anything. In my case, I cloned the computer's drive. You may want to consider updating to a new computer considering (after doing all this work) avoiding a potential future computer failure.

You will need to download all of your sample sets to the latest version(s) as the previous (HW Version 4.2) won't work with the latest V6.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 8:04 am

Thanks, Antoni. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 8:11 am

You might want to consider using SSD's.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 8:35 am

Hello Antoni,

Another important point to check on:

I see that the most recent macOS version for which Presonus officially provide drivers or support for your FP10 is macOS 10.7 ('Lion') (which is a very old macOS version that isn't compatible with Hauptwerk v5+):

https://www.presonus.com/products/FP10/downloads
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... -Statement

Hence I'd suggest looking into whether other people are able to use Presonus FP 10 interfaces successfully anyway on macOS 10.14. If not, you will potentially need to get a new audio/MIDI interface to replace it.

For example, MOTU and Focusrite make current audio+MIDI interfaces that are popular with Hauptwerk users:

https://motu.com/en-us/products/audio-products/
https://focusrite.com/en/usb-interfaces
Best regards, Martin.

Antoni Scott

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 8:56 am

I guess when I said things were getting complicated in Hauptwerk-land, I wasn't far off the mark.
Last week I posted this question "I was wondering about my external Midi interface (sound card), which is a PreSonus FP10, purchased in 2008. I looked up recommendations on the Hauptwerk site and they still recommend the PreSonus FP10, which is no longer available. Is it recommeded to upgrage the Midi interface to the latest version available ?

Now I find out that my Presonus FP10 Midi Interface may not be compatible. Has anyone out there upgraded to Version V or VI and was still able to use the PreSonus FP10 ?

Antoni

engrssc

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 9:13 am

Pretty much, this whole update thing is similar to starting all over again. With the exception of using your previous sample sets in the (revised) V6 version. Hardware even tho it still may work, becomes obsolete relatively quickly these days unlike some of the majestic old pipe organs.

Rgds,
Dd

Antoni Scott

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 9:38 am

I did a search on the PreSonus web site for specs for the PreSonus FP10 and this is what I found.

Mac
Mac OS X 10.3.7 or later (10.4.11, 10.5.2 or later, or 10.6 recommended)
PowerPC G4 1.25 GHz or Intel Core Solo 1.5 GHz processor (2 GHz or faster recommended)
1 GB RAM (2 GB or more recommended)

It say's 10.3.7 or later
10.5.2 or later

I guess 10.14 is later.
I'll play it safe and call PreSonus and make sure.

micdev

Site Admin

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 9:55 am

You will need to download all of your sample sets to the latest version(s) as the previous (HW Version 4.2) won't work with the latest V6.

Correction ... " You will need to download all of your ENCRYPTED sample sets to the latest version(s) as the previous (HW Version 4.2) won't work with the latest V6."

Non encrypted sample sets don't require a new version, will work with Hauptwerk 4, 5 or 6 without the need to download and install a new version.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

mdyde

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 10:51 am

Antoni Scott wrote:Last week I posted this question "I was wondering about my external Midi interface (sound card), which is a PreSonus FP10, purchased in 2008. I looked up recommendations on the Hauptwerk site and they still recommend the PreSonus FP10, which is no longer available. Is it recommeded to upgrage the Midi interface to the latest version available ?

Now I find out that my Presonus FP10 Midi Interface may not be compatible

Hello Antoni,

To clarify, earlier in this same thread you asked me:

Antoni Scott wrote: I was wondering about my external Midi interface (sound card), which is a PreSonus FP10, purchased in 2008. I looked up recommendations on the Hauptwerk site and they still recommend the PreSonus FP10, which is no longer available. Is it recommeded to upgrage the Midi interface to the latest version available ? Will they sound better ? Is the sound improvement with Hauptwerk Version V noticeable ?

... and my reply was:

mdyde wrote:Any professional/semi-professional audio interface made in the past 15 years or so (including your Presonus) will itself be capable of very high audio quality, and I doubt you would hear a significant difference solely by changing your audio interface. The main reasons to upgrade it would be if it was no longer compatible with current computer platforms (operating systems, hardware, drivers, etc.), or if you wanted more audio output channels for driving additional speakers.

I'm not aware of anywhere on the Hauptwerk website that lists the Presonus FP10 as recommend or supported. The Hauptwerk documentation on the website:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/
https://www.hauptwerk.com/requirements/

... says:

mdyde wrote:Current audio interfaces from the following ranges are popular with Hauptwerk users on both Macs and PCs:
• MOTU AVB, Thunderbolt, and USB interfaces.
• RME AVB and USB interfaces.
• PreSonus Thunderbolt and USB interfaces.
• M-Audio USB interfaces.

Did you find something somewhere else on the website mentioning the FP10 specifically? Where if so?

Antoni Scott wrote:It say's 10.3.7 or later
10.5.2 or later

I guess 10.14 is later.
I'll play it safe and call PreSonus and make sure.

10.14 is indeed later than 10.5, but they would probably have written that when 10.5 was current and when they still made and supported the FP10, so it may well no longer apply, especially given that they later said that 10.8 was not supported with it:

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... -Statement

It would definitely be best to check with them if in doubt.
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 11:13 am

Right on. 8)

Rgds,
Ed

Antoni Scott

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 4:26 pm

iLok 3 dongle. USB 2.0 version 
PACE iLok3 USB Key Software Authorization Device
(99007120900)
Brand: PACEPrice: $44.95

Upgrade Advanced v4 to Advanced v6 Perpetual
Hauptwerk VI Advanced EditionUpgrade
$299.00

AdvanceHauptwerk VI License Migration $30.00
Purchase this product after upgrading to Hauptwerk VI or higher to migrate all of your licensed instruments you have from previous Hauptwerk 4 versions (or earlier) to the Pace iLok platform.

May need to replace PreSonus Audio Interface. Will contact PreSonus directly.

MOTU M4 $239
https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/582673 ... moQAvD_BwE

Install two new Internal Hard drives.

Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch –
Price: $55.49

Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch –
Price: $55.49

I wonder if there is anything that I missed ?

Antoni

Antoni Scott

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 4:37 pm

After I install OSX 10.14 followed by th install of Version VI on a new hard drive with nothing else on it, will I still be able to switch over to my current hard drives and load them. At the present time I have organs loaded onto my hard drives with Hauptwerk 4.0.0. and 4.2 on another hard drive that I can switch back and forth in a minute. OSX Yosemite Version 10.10.3 is the operating system .
PreviousNext

Return to General discussion