It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:11 am

Upgrading to better technology

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

engrssc

Re: Upgrading to better technology

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 10:14 pm

What you are hoping to do would require buying everything, including sample sets over again Think of it this way, the sample set licenses will work with either the old (V 4.2 ) or the new V 6, not both. Once the licenses have been migrated to the new system, there's no turning back unfortunately. If you are concerned about a potential computer problem in the future, once you would convert everything to the new system, you could buy a second computer as s backup that would include the drives containing the sample sets. In other words two completely separate systems with s single iLok dongle.

That way both computers could work with the new system. Switching between the two would require moving the cables and moving the iLok dongle. iLok offers a backup system for the iLok dongle called Zero Downtime for mission critical situations.

Rgds,
Ed

Antoni Scott

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 11:30 pm

To Engrssc:
This was not the news I wanted to hear. I wanted to have one computer (my original 8 core) available to play my sample sets with Hauptwerk Version 4.2 using the Yosemite OS system as I do now, and the 12 core as the upgraded OS 10.13 with Version VI with the ILock dongle. Keep the old dongle with the old computer and the new ILOck with the 12 core upgraded to 10.13 with Version VI.The old dongle stayed with the old computer and the ILock dongle stayed with the newer computer. That way if my 12 core stops working I have the eight core as a back up. I'm certainly not going to spend thousands of dollars on a second computer when it seems that I alreday have one. Clearly I don't understand the process. It doesn't look like this can be done. I guess if this can't be done, then its too risky to rely on one computer only. Half of something is better than a whole of nothing. Besides, it's uinlikely I'll find anyone that is willing to do the switch. Thanks for all the help anyway.
Antoni

Antoni Scott

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 11:43 pm

Hi Jeremiah:
For some reason my free download of the Nancy didn't allow any changes to be made with the tuning, slider bars, etc. There was a lot of wind noise overpowering the sound and making it sound muddy. Perhaps this was because I downloaded it onto my computer with the Yosemite OS and Version 4.2 when the Nancy requires Version V or VI and an Mac OS of 10.13. Interestingly I was able to get the Demo organ to play on my Hauptwerk Version 4.2 when I thought Version V was required.
After a dozen or more back and forth's with very helpful Hauptwerk enthusiasts, it seems that I can't use my old sample sets on my present computer if I transfer them to the upgraded OS 10.13 becasue in the process of doing this the old dongle won't work anymore.
Antoni

mdyde

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 3:52 am

Hello Antoni,

Antoni Scott wrote:After a dozen or more back and forth's with very helpful Hauptwerk enthusiasts, it seems that I can't use my old sample sets on my present computer if I transfer them to the upgraded OS 10.13 becasue in the process of doing this the old dongle won't work anymore.

Correct. As Ed mentioned, and as I and others did too previously in this topic, once you upgrade to v6 (v5+) you wouldn't be able to use v4 any more:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19814&p=148741#p148739

mdyde wrote:As Ed mentioned, no -- you won't be able to continue to use v4 once you've upgrade to v6 (v5+). (The licensing sections in the user guide and release notice cover that.) However, there would be no need to keep the v4 installations anyway.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19814&p=148741#p148749

mdyde wrote:There's no need to keep your 2008 Mac Pro since it won't be able to run Hauptwerk v6 (v5+), and once you've migrated your licences to v6 you won't be able to run v4 any more anyway (as discussed previously).

Once the new drive is set up, you could simply get the person who does the macOS/Hauptwerk v6 installation for you to clone one of your two drives to the other, so that you have a complete backup in case you later need it. If your 2011 Mac Pro subsequently dies then you could buy another second-hand identical 2011 Mac Pro at that time and put the drive in it, for example. (Or if that were to happen you could just buy a new Mac at the time, and install Hauptwerk and your sample sets on it.)

Second-hand 2011 Mac Pros are readily available and will only get less expensive with time. Also, if yours were to stop working you might well be able to get it fixed inexpensively (without needing to replace the whole computer), even though Apple themselves will no longer fix Macs that old. All computer hardware stops working and/or becomes obsolete eventually -- sooner or later you will have to upgrade any computer hardware with something newer anyway.

If you want to upgrade to Hauptwerk v6, and assuming you can find someone to do the upgrade for you, I suggest:

- Now that you have a macOS 10.13 disk for your 2011 Mac Pro, install Hauptwerk v6 on it, migrate your sample set licences to v6, install all of your sample sets on it (v5+ compatible versions) [as covered in the 'upgrading' instructions in the Hauptwerk user guide]. See whether your PreSonus FP10 will work on macOS 10.13, and if not, then buy the MOTU interface you mentioned instead. If in doubt about drivers for your KeyTech touch-screens, then contact KeyTech, and if they say they don't have macOS.13-compatible drivers for your model of touch-screen then see whether Touch-Base have a suitable driver that you could buy: https://touch-base.com/drivers .

- Once it's all set up and working, for your peace of mind, get the person to clone the SSD to a spare one, so that you have a fully working spare system. Take that SSD out of your computer and put it somewhere safe, so that if you had a power surge or similar it wouldn't get damaged.

- Sell your 2008 Mac Pro. (It won't be very valuable, and won't be able to run most modern software, but if it's working then you should at least get something for it.)

- Discard your Hauptwerk v4 dongle, since you won't need or be able to use it any more. You also wouldn't need to keep your v4.2 or v4.0 hard-drives, or the installation CDs/DVDs for v4 or for v4-format encrypted sample sets.

- If/when your 2011 Mac Pro does eventually stop working then see whether you can fix it, or whether you can get somebody local to fix it for you. When computers stop working often its nothing more than a failed RAM board (RAM boards are very easy to replace) or a hard-drive/SSD (and you would have a ready-to-go spare SSD anyway). If you can't get it fixed inexpensively, then either buy another second-hand identical-model 2011 Mac Pro to replace it (so that you could simply put your SSD in it and use it straight away, without needing to install anything), or buy a brand new computer, at that point in time. If you bought an identical-model 2011 Mac Pro then your macOS 10.13/Hauptwerk v6 SSD would work in it straight away, without needing to install anything, or do anything else, so you would have almost no down-time (only the time it takes for the replacement 2011 Mac Pro to be delivered, and for you to put your SSD in it.)

I hope that helps.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Antoni Scott

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 7:09 am

Hello Martin:
I won't be able to use my organ sample discs is because I need Hauptwerk 5+ compatible samples, not that just the dongle won't work, it's the discs,too. I thought that was what purchasing the Migration file was for (i.e. migrating all my old files to the new 5+ platform). Everything is now 5+. All the old stuff won't be usable. I guess the sample set producers have Hauptwerk 5+ versions ready for download for their customers that had previously purchased earlier versions from them.

I see that Milan's Metz has download files ( 1,2 and 3) for Hauptwerk V compatibility. I'll check with Sonus Paradisi as the majority of my sample sets are unencrypted. I guess he has 5+ compatability versions, too.

I see the need to get an new computer if I want to stay current. Back in 2008 the Mac computer was the way to go but I see that today many Hauptwerk enthusaists go for PC's. I have to say that the Mac has been very reliable. In fact I had only one issue with it in 13 years and the only problem was a bad ram module. But Mac's to me are very user unfriendly. I have never had a problem with PC navigating despite their less reliable reputation.

I'll have to look at some new Hauptwerk ready PC's.

Anoni

mdyde

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 7:51 am

Thanks, Antoni.

Antoni Scott wrote:I won't be able to use my organ sample discs is because I need Hauptwerk 5+ compatible samples, not that just the dongle won't work, it's the discs,too. I thought that was what purchasing the Migration file was for (i.e. migrating all my old files to the new 5+ platform). Everything is now 5+. All the old stuff won't be usable. I guess the sample set producers have Hauptwerk 5+ versions ready for download for their customers that had previously purchased earlier versions from them.

I see that Milan's Metz has download files ( 1,2 and 3) for Hauptwerk V compatibility. I'll check with Sonus Paradisi as the majority of my sample sets are unencrypted. I guess he has 5+ compatability versions, too.

Yes -- you would need to download the v5+ compatible versions of all encrypted sample sets from their makers.

All major sample set producers (including Sonus Paradisi) have suitable v5+ compatible versions available for download for their existing customers at no charge. (If you can't find the links on their websites then contact them directly.) E.g. MDA and Paramount sample sets are available here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17988
Best regards, Martin.

Antoni Scott

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 6:38 am

To Martin Dyde:
Regrettably, I am not going to upgrade to Version VI at the present time. I really appreciate all of the time you have spent, as well as from other Hauptwerk enthusiasts, explaining the one-way , no going back, conversion process from Version IV to Version VI. It is a procedure that could leave me with nothing except a computer loaded with expensive sample sets and a deactivated dongle should something happen to my computer ( as has happened in the past and left me without my Hauptwerk for over three months).

At least now, if one computer fails (RAM, Motherboard,Hard Drive, Power Supply, etc,etc,etc) I can revert to my original computer and be playing in less than an hour. With my present MacPro I have everything in duplicate on a separate internal hard drive. If one drive goes, I have the other to access immediately. If some other issue renders the computer inoperable ( as has happened and turned out to be annoyingly simple to diagnose, but Apple refused to look at my Vintage computer), and with the track record of no help available, I can revert to my backup computer on my own until such time it takes to fix the original problem. It is a workable system that gives me peace of mind even although the audio quality of Version IV is not up to the Version VI standards. What scared me the most is my local Mac "expert" who declined to convert my computer to Version VI citing the inordinate complexity of everything required. Who was it that said, "half of something is better than a whole of nothing" ?

I have exhausted every avenue in an attempt to retain my original Version IV as a backup insurance but to no avail. If only there was a way of switching to Version VI without losing the original dongle without purchasing all new sample sets plus a separate dongle or ILOck, I would do so immediately.

Again, thank you for all your help. You have shown yourself to be a person of amazing dedication to your product always willing to bend over backwards to help.

Antoni

mdyde

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 6:56 am

Thanks very much, Antoni. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 8:07 am

You might want to consider (as a possible plan) to convert to a PC in the future. Your sample sets will run or either Mac or PC and PC's generally are less expensive. You could have a PC "ready to go" before making any changes.

Rgds,
Ed

Antoni Scott

Protecting Hauptwerk Version IV

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 7:18 am

Since Hauptwerk has gravitated away from the now unsecure original conventional dongle , to the ILock system, the original dongle was rendered useless to protect Hauptwerk. I heard the reason Hauptwerk switched to the ILock dongle was because someone hacked the original dongle.

I am becoming concerned that eventually my dongle will stop working. In the past, I read comments from Forum members about the problems replacing broken dongles, etc. The dongle, a device that is by design "an accident ready to happen" is in a very vulnerable position in the computer and could easily be broken or damaged.

Now that the original dongle is not secure as it used to be it would be of no interest to MDA. Can a copy or a back up be made ? I am not interested in making and selling copies of an out-dated Version IV software. I just want to protect my ability to continue to use my original Hauptwerk Version IV.

Antoni

mdyde

Re: Protecting Hauptwerk Version IV

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 7:33 am

Hello Antoni,

No -- MDA doesn't offer replacement/spare/backup Hauptwerk v4 (HASP) dongles, I'm afraid -- sorry. If you do ever break your v4 dongle then you would still have the option to upgrade to the current version of Hauptwerk (v6). I do appreciate that you decided that don't want to do that at the moment, as discussed at great length in your previous thread -- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19814 (in which we established that your 2011 Mac Pro would be capable of running v5/v6, but not your 2008 Mac Pro) -- so we'd recommend being careful not to break it!
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 7:55 am

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293047595267

Use this internal USB header cable to create a legit USB Port to be hidden/mounted inside your Chassis or case

Rgds,
Ed

Antoni Scott

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 8:07 am

Hello Martin:
Some other Hauptwerk owner was equally as concerned about relacement due to breakage, etc. Also that same someone asked if the Hauptwerk licence is limited to the life of the dongle. That was a good question.
Is that correct ?

I have the entire software backed up on a separate hard drive in the event of a software crash. Although the design of the dongle is prone to external damage, that was not my concern. I've been careful to not break it since 2007.
Regrettably upgrading to a better version is out of the question at the present time since I have no one to do the upgrade for me. As I stated previously, even my local Apple technicial was unwilling to get involved with an upgrade due to the complexity.

My concern is what do I do if the dongle stops working ?

Antoni

Antoni Scott

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 8:29 am

Hello Martin:
I do apologize for making a nuisance out of myself since you have gone overboard to be helpful, but I did have a thought.

I did have a thought. As you are aware, I do have the original eight-core MacPro that I would use as a backup if my newer 12-core stopped working . The original dongle works on both computers. The original MacPro has sufficient capacity to play every sample set I presently own.

If I were to dedicate the newer 12 core MacPro to Verion VI as I would like to do, is there any way of obtaining the required ILock dongle without rendering the original dongle unworkable even if it meant purchasing an entire new license ? The Ilock dongle could be used for the 12 core and the original dongle for my eight core ? That way, I could work my way through upgrading to version VI. It took a while for me to upgrade to Version IV but I did find someone closeby. regrettably that person moved out of town, but there has to be someone out there that I can eventually find to get help from.

Antoni

mdyde

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 8:38 am

Hello Antoni,

Dongles very rarely go wrong (although no computer hardware will last forever).

Your v4 and sample set licences are inside the dongle. MDA no longer offers v4 dongles, so you would not now be able to get a replacement v4 dongle with your licences in it. However, if your dongle did ever go wrong, MDA has a record of your licences so you would still be eligible to upgrade them to the current Hauptwerk version (v6).

For the iLok licensing system used for Hauptwerk v5+, PACE offer an insurance scheme called 'Theft and Loss Coverage' (TLC) scheme whereby if you lose or break an iLok dongle, or it's stolen or stops working, then they will replace its licences (even if the dongle is stolen): https://ilok.com/#!zdt-coverage

Also, with Hauptwerk v5+ you don't have to use a dongle -- you can use 'iLok Cloud' instead if you prefer (which requires a reliable, always-on Internet connection).
Best regards, Martin.
PreviousNext

Return to General discussion