It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:01 am

Upgrading to better technology

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Antoni Scott

Re: Upgrading to better technology

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 8:50 am

Hi Jeremiah:
Wonderful Youtube performance. Clearly the Nancy is an outstanding sample set. I was not able to make any adjustments on the demo, hence my negative comments. Perhaps I am missing something. It doesn't matter, however, as other Hauptwerk enthusaists have posted sufficient videos to clearly demonstarte the organ at its best.

Right now, I am trying to work out some computer compatability issues. I became a Hauptwerk owner back in 2007 when it was called Crumhorn Labs. My computer is a 2011 MacPro, possibly outdated at this point. But before I throw in the towel and just enjoy what I have, I am trying to determine if I can upgrade my MacPro to the Version that will allow Hauptwerk V or VI to work, otherwise the Nancy, with all it's advantages won't work on my present computer. I have a MacPro with 12 cores at 3.33GHz each and 96 GB of RAM. I bought the computer as a backup in 2015 when my original 2007 MacPro (with an eight core CPU) had an issue that left me without my organ for over a month. Apple wouldn't even look at it ( nice people !!!!) since it was "Vintage" but they were falling over themselves to try an sell me a new $10,000 MacPro ( the one that looks like the coffee can).

Fortunately there are some helpful Hauptwerk enthusiasts on the Forum that suggested a few things that I checked which turned out to be the simplest thing - one bad memory module. I couldn't go that long without my Hauptwerk again. After installing one memory module I was good to go. The bad experience with Apple (no help, etc) prompted me to get a backup computer since help is all but non-existant. I got the 2011 MacPro in 2015.

As technology moves on, I am finding myself being left behind. The person I got the 2011 MacPro from is IBuildMacs. He told me I can upgrade the OSX software to Mojave 10.14. Francois Ratte tells me that all I need is Mojave 10.13 to be able to use Hauptwerk Version V or VI. Since you said you had a Mac with 64 GB, may I ask what model you have and what OSX version you have installed ? It would be helpful for me to figure out how to proceed.

Keep those videos coming !!!! I posted a less than stellar Youtube video performace of me playing Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor. Of course since I was videoing myself I made many mistakes ( nerves) but I followed it with an audio recording and I made fewer mistakes .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzewxsM ... rt_radio=1

https://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/47063

Antoni

jerrymartin

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 12:47 pm

I'm running Mojave 10.14 on mine with no plans to upgrade further than that (For the moment!)

Successive version of MacOS become more nit-picky with older external hardware. I think that has improved in my case as MOTU (for my audio interface) and TouchPoint (for my touch screen) have released updated drivers. But I recall the frustration of upgrading MacOS only to lose my touch screen temporarily.

I can confirm HW runs great on Mojave on my 64GB Mac and we are all quite happy for the moment.

I was initially saddened by Apple's move away from Intel as we do not yet know what this means for the future of HW on the Mac platform (and having used HW on both Mac and PC, I absolutely prefer the stability and ease-of-use I get on my Mac).

One feature of love with my mac is the "time machine" backup - I make sure to always keep my external hard drive connected and my HW mac is always backed up.

That way if I do decide to get "Dangerous" and install a new Mac version or a new HW version and things go crazy, I can go back to how things were "before"

I highly recommend that you do this before any potential operating system upgrade on your machine.

Thanks for sharing your video! I hope to see more - your setup is great! And you play very well too!! Believe me, I too get "red light syndrome" - can play a piece perfectly and as soon as the "red light" of the camera turns on it all falls apart!!!

Jerry
Jeremiah Martin,
Portsmouth, Ohio

Antoni Scott

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 1:10 pm

Hi Jeremiah:
Thanks for the information. I think I need to know what computer you are using Mojave 10.14. I know you said you had 64 GB, I have 96 GB but there is a lot more to it than just Gigs. I need to know the model, number of cores and core speed. Even then I might not be able to use Hauptwerk Version V or VI. Francois said I only need Version 10.13, the person from IBuildMacs says my computer will take 10.14. What's the benefit or differences between 10.13 or 10.14 ? I don't know.

By the way Apple told me they have just the computer for me. It has 28 cores and is only $14,000. I'll take two, one as a backup !!!!

For better or worse, my MacPro has four hard drives and I have everything backed up on those drives, should my go-to default hard drive crash. I took the opportunity to see what I had stored on these drives since 2008. I uninstalled many demos from one drive and saved 200 GB !!!! Other stuff was junk organs that accumulated over time. An interesting observation was an early version of the Caen Surround and the Caen Wet. I was playing this earlier version and I thought it sounded better than the newer release. Don't know why. If, when I get my computer upgraded I will install the earlier version of the Caen as well as the latest version ( if that can be done). If not they will sit on different drives.

As a precaution, before I upgrade I will remove the two hard drives that are "must keep", just in case. If there is a screw up I can always revert to the earlier version of OSX and Hauptwerk Software.
Antoni

jerrymartin

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 1:28 pm

Glad to hear all is well backed up! Critical steps indeed :)

Happy to share full details on my machine.
It's apple's latest generation intel mac mini (late 2018 model). I pushed all the upgrade-able options to the max.

Specifically:
3.2GHz 6-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz
12MB shared L3 cache

64G of RAM and 2TB onboard SSD

So far so good - but believe me I recognize how technology pushes forwards - there are now more than a few samplests that, if I were to load them complete with highest settings, exceed my available resources!
Jeremiah Martin,
Portsmouth, Ohio

Antoni Scott

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 2:22 pm

Hi Jeremiah:
Thanks for the update and important information. Do you have Hauptwerk Version V or VI ? I clearly don't know what I'm talking about and just sound like one of those nerds that love to recite facts and figures but comparing computers, it may look like maybe, possibly, my computer will accept Version VI. My computer has 12 cores at 3.33 GHz each, not as fast as yours but six more cores. Does that mean anything, who knows, ? My L3 Cashe is the same as yours @12 MB. I also have 8 - 16 GB memory modules for 96 GB in total although it is almost twice what I need. I'm guessing it will work. What am I possibly missing ?

You mentioned that you have Mojave 10.14 and your Hauptwerk ( Version V or VI) ? works. Francois Ratte said I don't need 10.14, 10.13 will do (which is HiSierra, not Mojave), I don't knpw why he said that.

It seems that I lucked out and found a Mac person in my area. They are few and far between. He said he can install the Mojave 10.14 on my computer ( and he checked to make sure it is compatible). The next step is to get the Version VI. I'm going to have him do everything so that it will be a clean install. I'm notorious for messing things up.

larason2

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 2:34 pm

As I said, your computer is pretty powerful, it should handle the job. Officially, I believe that High Sierra is also supported for Hauptwerk VI. The next step then would be to upgrade Hauptwerk and see how your computer does. I’m sure you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

mdyde

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 3:09 pm

Antoni Scott wrote:You mentioned that you have Mojave 10.14 and your Hauptwerk ( Version V or VI) ? works. Francois Ratte said I don't need 10.14, 10.13 will do (which is HiSierra, not Mojave), I don't knpw why he said that.

Hello Antoni,

Either macOS 10.13 or 10.14 is equally good for Hauptwerk v5/v6, so if your computer can run either of those versions then yes -- it will be able to run Hauptwerk v6.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Antoni Scott

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 4:55 pm

Hello Martin:
Thank you for the answer, same as what Francois said although he later qualified it by saying to use OSX 10.13. leaving me to believe that OSX 10.14 may not work. I'm going to dedicate two of my Mac's internal hard drives to the upgrade, one of the two as a backup incase the other fails.
Since eveything is a download today, no discs, I'll have to find out how to create an OSX 10.14 disc and a Hauptwerk VI disc.

Antoni Scott

Which option to choose ?

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 7:11 pm

Things are getting complicated in Hauptwerk-land. Gone are the days when you could just purchase a Hauptwerk disc with a dongle key packaged in the blue CD box. Now we have downloads only, and several choices,too. Which option ( is it perpetual?) is it that the Hauptwerk software is a onetime purchase, i.e. forever. Also, what about the dongle ? Do we need to download a dongle update ? or are Dongles a thing of the past ?

Antoni

engrssc

Re: Which option to choose ?

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 7:43 pm

Do a search to bring your knowledge up to date. As in progress. Presently HW now uses the iLok system for security. In addition to the iLok dongle which requires the iLok Manager.

Rgds,
Ed

mnailor

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 8:02 pm

The info about licensing is in the user guide page 21, and more details in the release notice. Download from here: https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/

Also forum search for licensing. There used to be some good collected notes on upgrading from Martin on the forum, which I thought he had pinned to the top of tech support, but I can't find them now.
Last edited by mnailor on Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

larason2

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 8:05 pm

The original dongle is no longer used, but hold onto it so you can transfer your licenses! MDA had to stop using the old dongle because it had been hacked. Instead they are using iLok. To use iLok, you have to sign up at their website. When you sign up, during the upgrade to Hauptwerk VI it will ask for your iLok account info. Also once it’s installed, You’ll have the option to transfer your version IV licenses, which will disable the previous dongle and permanently move all the licenses to iLok and version VI. To use iLok, you either need internet access at all times, or you have to transfer your licenses to an iLok dongle, which you have to buy separately if you go that route. I’ve never had to bother!

As for Perpetual vs. lite or Advanced subscription, you probably just want to upgrade to the perpetual edition. It’s the cheapest for a previous user.

mnailor

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 8:12 pm

Well, don't I feel stupid. The collections of topics such as this are pinned to the top of News, announcements, and forum rules. Please look there for licensing and upgrade info. It's basically the same going from 4 to 6.02 as going from 4 to 5.

engrssc

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 3:19 am

mdyde

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 3:51 am

Thanks, Antoni.

N.B. When upgrading from v4 to v5+ on a Mac it's very important that any existing v4 installation on the drive is completely deleted before installing the v5+ version (i.e. v6), otherwise you would end up with a broken installation (due to changes in how Apple requires applications to be installed for compatibility with recent macOS versions). The 'Upgrading or re-installing Hauptwerk' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 24-27 in the current v6.0.2 version) covers that in detail, and it's important those instructions are followed:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/

Since you would need to delete any Hauptwerk v4 installation on the drive anyway, after using 'File | Backup ...' in your v4 installation (and saving the resulting file somewhere safe on a different drive, e.g. a USB stick) I would recommend completely re-formatting the drive when installing the newer macOS version on it. That way any remnants of a v4 installation would be entirely wiped anyway and you would also have a completely clean macOS installation, which may perform better and be more reliable than one that has been upgraded from an earlier macOS version. N.B. also when installing macOS from clean, make sure that you *don't* select Apple's option to transfer settings/software/etc. to it from another Mac when the macOS installer asks you whether you want to do that (otherwise you may end up with a broken installation).

Point the technician that you get to help you with the upgrade to this post, so that he/she is aware of these points.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.
PreviousNext

Return to General discussion