It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:53 am

Upgrading to better technology

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

engrssc

Re: Which option to choose ?

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 1:44 pm

Thanks for that, Ray. As you might notice, I'm presently not a Mac guy altho I originally was. My Mac Pro is stored in a closet for now. :wink:

Between aging and not using something, there is this forgetting thing that happens. :cry: Keeping up or at least attempting to try to keep up with M/S and Windows stuff is about all my brain allows presently. :o

And now the hype about the next Windows improvement ?? on 6/24 ?? :roll:

Rgds,
Ed
Last edited by engrssc on Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antoni Scott

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 2:12 pm

Thank you Engrscc for explaining this. Now I understand.
After some thought, I decided to get two new SATA (or SDD) drives ( which needs an adapter for it to fit into the tray) for my MacPro 12-core and have Version VI installed on them. This will avoid any concerns about remnants from Version IV contaminating the new install.
Since nothing seems to be transferrable from Version IV to VI I'll just install my present hard drives back into my MacPro eight core and use it as a back-up computer in case the 12-core goes down for any of a hundred reasons.

engrssc

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 2:27 pm

Good to see your spirit of going along with progress. Quite sure you will see when all is completed that these efforts were "worth it".

You asked previously if you had missed something ?? Possibly winning the Lottery, maybe? :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

Antoni Scott

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 9:00 pm

I'm asking this question, because I'm sure my Mac Tech will ask it since he does not know about Hauptwerk.

The $30 Migration License is only for the encrypted sample sets ? Correct ?

All the other sample sets (unencrypted) can just be loaded as usual ? Correct ?

I hope my tech can do this.

Antoni

engrssc

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 9:19 pm

Yes on both questions. There are several step by step procedures that have been posted. You might consider (along with your tech) to reach out to François as he is very knowledgeable in these areas including current experience with Mac's.

As well, you can go to each of your sample set producer's web sites and download the appropriate updated sample sets they offer (free) that are compatible with Hauptwerk versions 5 and version 6. Obviously, depending on the number of organs you have, this will require some drive space. Here, again, François, can give you good information as to how best to go about doing that.

The other thing you can do (ahead) is to establish an iLok account hy:

1. Go to the iLok website. https://www.ilok.com/#!license-manager

2. You will see the iLok License Manager - Click on top line - Create Free Account

3. Choose the right License Service Installer, depending on your operating system: Mac OS, Windows 32-bit or Windows 64-bit, or click "Legacy Installers" if you have older versions of Windows or Mac OS.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 3:36 am

Hello Antoni,

To add to Ed's reply, Hauptwerk v5+ versions of MDA and Paramount sample sets can be downloaded as detailed here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17988
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Antoni Scott

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 5:14 pm

I was wondering if my two Keytech touch screen monitors would be compatible with the OSX upgrade ? Does anyone know if they will work, or will they need to be replaced, too. ? is there such a thing as a "driver" for a touch screen monitor ?

My tech says he can install OS 10.13 into my computer and did suggest an SSD .
The next torment on my list is trying to find an updated driver for my PreSonus FP10 to make it compatible with the OSX upgrade. The PreSonus staff wants pictures of the unit and a picture of the Serial number and proof of purchase (from 13 years ago !!!) before they can look into an updated driver if one exists at all. I never imagined this could be so complicated.
Antoni

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 11:37 am

Although this won't be relevant for an old Mac, for anybody thinking of getting an SSD, the PCIe interface for NVMe drives is much faster than the SATA interface. This makes a difference when loading really huge organs such as Groningen.

engrssc

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 12:29 pm

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote:the PCIe interface for NVMe drives is much faster than the SATA interface. This makes a difference when loading really huge organs such as Groningen.

Precisely why I have retired my old Mac's and PC's that don't have this feature. Going forward with no plans to look back. 8)

Rgds,
Ed

Antoni Scott

Road blocks at every step.

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 6:56 am

I was able to find a computer technician in my area that would take my 2011 MacPro and upgrade it to OS 10.13 while at the same time install a 1TB SSD drive ( installing the drive is something I could do). Unbeknown to him, the SSD to standard SATA drive install requires a special tray to replace the original tray. Not knowing this surprised me but I guess he hasn't worked on any of the older MacPro's. I was able to get the SSD to SATA adapter tray on Amazon for $14.00.
Just for my own peace of mind I asked him if he was willing to do the entire Hauptwerk upgrade from Version IV to Version VI. I had asked him about the upgrade install just incase Francios Ratte wasn't available to do my remote install for what ever reason, not that I didn't want Francois to do it. I thought of it as Plan B, so to speak. After reading all of the notes and printouts from Martin Dyde and other helpful Hauptwerk enthusiasts, he respectfully declined to attempt the install citing the compexity and inordinate amount of time that would be required. He was also reluctant to get involved in the ILock system for some reason of which I am not sure. So even to a Mac technician, Hauptwerk is too complex.

This response illustrates how difficult it is to find someone, hence my paranoia at every step.

I mention the above only to show how few and far between Mac technicians are AND how valuable someone like Francois is to the Hauptwerk community. He is truly an asset to Hauptwerk. I only speak for myself, but I wouldn't undertake doing an upgrade because of the many surprises and rabbitt holes I could disappear down. A case in point is the number of changes that have created incompatability situations.

All that being said, however, I suppose everyone will agree that the effort is worth the end result.

Antoni

engrssc

Re: Road blocks at every step.

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 8:46 am

Antoni Scott wrote:So even to a Mac technician, Hauptwerk is too complex. This response illustrates how difficult it is to find someone, hence my paranoia at every step.
I mention the above only to show how few and far between Mac technicians are AND how valuable someone like Francois is to the Hauptwerk community.

To add to Antoni's comment, finding a PC tech willing and able to work with Hauptwerk software is somewhat rare as well. What I've also found is there is a certain reluctance among prospective clients to go with a Hauptwerk based instrument due to finding it hard to find such a tech as well.

But OTOH, just about everything advanced or Smart these days requires specialized and sophisticated service skills. Hence, many times rather than fixings things, the more accepted norm is to replace them. Then there is the "requirement" for stuff to be plug and play - out of the box. No such thing as board level repairs these days.

In another example, a neighbor's transmission went out. He had his car "moved" to a repair shop in the morning. He picked up his serviced car that same afternoon with a "refurbished" transmission which included a 3 year warranty for a not too unreasonable price.

Rgds,
Ed
Last edited by engrssc on Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

Re: Upgrading to better technology

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 8:49 am

Hello Antoni,

Sorry to hear that you haven't so far been able to find somebody to do the upgrade for you yet, and hope you manage to find somebody eventually.

[I've also merged your other topic on upgrading into this one, since there's been quite a lot of duplication between them.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Antoni Scott

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 4:55 pm

My Audio Interface (PreSonus FP10) was purchased back in 2008 when my Hauptwerk was using a boot-camped MacPro with Microsoft Vista Ultra.

When Mac released their 64 bit equivalent OS and everybody switched to Mac's OS ( was that Leopard Version 10.5 released in 2007 or Snow Leopard Version 10.6 released in June 2009 ?) my PreSonus worked without downloding any more recent drivers.

When I upgraded to Hauptwerk Version 4.2 from Version 4.0, (probably around Nov 2014 or early 2015 - not sure) my PreSonus FP10 worked fine without any upgrading of PreSonus FP10 drivers. When I decided to use my back-up 2011 MacPro , purchased in 2016) as my primary use Hauptwerk computer, it had Mac's OS 10.3 Yosemite installed on it. I tranferred all of the hard drives from one Mac to the other carrying over the FP10 drivers installed on them from 2008 with no problem at all. Everything worked.

I never installed an PreSonus OX driver update for any subsequent Mac OSX systems since 2008 and everything worked. Now with the latest upgrade to Hauptwerk Version VI and a Mac software upgrade to 10.13 it seems that nothing is compatible. What interests me is that PreSonus informed me that the last OSX driver upgrade that was available before the FP10 was discontinued was for OSX 10.7.5 Lion.

engrssc

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 5:16 pm

Antoni Scott wrote:Now with the latest upgrade to Hauptwerk Version VI and a Mac software upgrade to 10.13 it seems that nothing is compatible..

I do understand what you are saying. However, have you actually tried to see if any of your previous components work with the new upgrades?

Rgds,
Ed

Antoni Scott

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 9:16 pm

To Engrcc:
Thank you for your comment. Your suggestion is correct. I will "assume" that my FP10 will work until I find out it doesn't. Apparently the issue is with "security" updates with OSX 10.13 not making anything compatible. I'm assuming my computer will work with OSX 10.13 and I am assuming that Version VI will work with OSX 10.13. I can get a MOTU audio interface for $230 to replace the FP10. I don't need eight channels since I will be using headphones and a subwoofer.

Because of the difficulty of finding someone to do my install (I couldn't possibility do it myself) and diagnose a potential problem down the road if it should occur, I need to have a "back-up" computer. What happened to me back in 2014 made me realize how easily I could be left without my Hauptwerk for months.

Can I keep my present dongle intact and use it with my old eight-core computer with the earlier Version 4.2 hard drives and use the ILOck with my new upgrade in the 12-core computer ? If I read correctly, the old dongle must be somehow deactivated in the migration process. Is there a way of transferring the encrypted sample sets without destroying the old dongle in the process ? I would like to keep my eight core in Hauptwerk usable condition and use it should my 12-core fail so I would need the dongle intact to be able to used it.
Antoni
PreviousNext

Return to General discussion