It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 am

Expression pedal assignment matrix

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

ReinerS

Expression pedal assignment matrix

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 8:57 am

Hello all,
I would like to get your opinion on a feature and an implication this feature comes with.

My upoming sample set of the great Walcker organ in Papenburg/Germany uses three expression pedals plus a crescendo wheel. I have been asked to provide a pedal assignment matrix, so that especially users with less than four physical swell/cresc controls on their console can have a configurable mapping, that might even be connected to the combination action. This is something I can easily and happily provide, but it does come at a price:

Providing such a mapping matrix, which would be located on the Controls screen that I also use for the acoustic settings etc., results in the fact that the assignment of your physical expression controls to the virtual input controls will not be possible any more from the main console screen, but only from the controls screen. This is simply due to the fact that the console screen is showing the controls of the sample set (aka of the real organ), which may be mapped in different ways from the input controls you want to assign.

My question is: Is this a problem? In my view it is less intuitive and users not reading the manual or information booklet that comes with all my sample sets might be confused, on the other hand, I can clearly see the benefit it provides for users less than four analogue controls on their console.

What do you think? Please cast a vote!

Best
Reiner

larason2

Re: Expression pedal assignment matrix

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 9:13 am

I think having a virtual assignment matrix is superior. SP has this for their St. Afra Hill set, and it works very well. My only complaint about it is that the pedal assignments don’t save between program closes.

mnailor

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 12:49 pm

I haven't really found an advantage to SP's pedal matrix for my uses. It's a little less obvious than just using MIDI learn directly on the virtual pedals, sometimes with two controlled by the same physical pedal.

But I've never wanted to change pedal assignments after I set it up.

IainStinson

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 2:16 pm

I quite like the implementation in the Hereford sample set where a "pedal" can be assigned to be a floating pedal, and additional stops are provided to connect the floating pedal to divisions. I find this useful and do use to change the operation of the floating "pedal".

The matrix is also useful; I quiet like the idea of being able to change the active set of the matrix using midi though seldom actually use it!

Iain

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 7:14 pm

The idea of a matrix sounds useful to me. I can envisage mapping the controls to a Launchpad or similar so that they can be changed on the fly.

I take your point about users not reading the manual, but many sample sets have features and behaviours that aren't obvious without reading up on them, and reading a paragraph or two before using a new organ is hardly an onerous taks (unlike mastering the HW mixer). It seems to me that it is unrealistic to expect to be able to use a sample set effectively (or anything else, for that matter) by relying on assumptions and guesswork.

smfrank

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 8:49 pm

The matrix is very useful. Especially when you can save and load configs.
I have four pedals, the right most of which is always Master output volume.
The other three, sometimes I want a crescendo, sometimes not.
I could picture it very useful for someone with only one or two pedals.
Constantly relearning midi is a pain, and HW only allows 2 things to be assigned to any given device.
My 2 cents!
Steve
Steven Frank

Return to General discussion