It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:45 am

Video recording with sound

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

John Mackay

Video recording with sound

PostSun Jul 04, 2021 3:44 pm

Could anyone explain the best way to sync optimum sound quality to iPad video recordings?

B777Captain

Re: Video recording with sound

PostSun Jul 04, 2021 3:58 pm

Following……

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

giwro

PostMon Jul 05, 2021 8:49 am

You may find it difficult, as iPhone (and since iPad is also iOS, I’m almost certain it does also) uses a variable frame rate in order to optimize file size. Consequently, you’re likely to see significant “drift”of your sync of music to the video over time.

One way to get around it somewhat is to have two sources, and switch back and forth from one to the other - it is a pain in the neck, as you essentially must cut the video clips up then and re-syncs each time, but it does work…
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net

B777Captain

PostTue Jul 06, 2021 12:59 pm

What I don’t get here is why more people don’t post how they make their recordings and post them in video form like on YouTube. Is this some Big Great Secret that people don’t want us to know how to do????

Do you folks who make YouTube’s for example use a camcorder with an external microphone? Do you use a phone for the video and then internal HW software for the audio and then put them into an iMovie or some other editing software to post on youtube?

Why is this such a secret for most??? It’s frustrating to those of us who want to learn how to do this. We’re not asking for some state secret that only applies only to you……. ! I personally have been trying for over a year without success but my issue is having a PC for the HW and a MacBook for the editing…. And they don’t like to play nice with each other.

Everyone here seems to be MORE than willing to share their opinions and suggestions on organ samples and how some pieces could be played differently…. That’s fine! But is it really too much to ask for just some simple instructional help on how you guys all make these audio and video YouTube’s (for example) for those of us who don’t quite get that concept???

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

ldeutsch

PostTue Jul 06, 2021 4:38 pm

So, people have posted videos to YouTube that explain how to make synchronized YouTube videos. Here is a video produced by my son, Elliot Deutsch, the leader of the Pandemonium Big Band. His 18-piece band has made monthly recordings of new music during the pandemic, with each musician in their own location. I have used Elliot's suggestions in my own organ videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMGtLjxNr38&t=1s

Here is one of my videos, recorded this way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg-Hk9ah2P4

And here is a video of me adding an organ track to Elliot's big band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVU5n_ap8qw

The secret is to start with a good audio recording. You then play it back while playing along with it in realtime. Don;t worry about matching the audio exactly, as you will discard the audio in favor of the original audio track anyway. I always use multiple camera angles so that I can steer away from views that show me NOT playing along well for short intervals.

I use Final Cut Pro to proceed my videos. It has a feature that lets you declare a set of clips as simultaneous. It will automatically synchronize them using the common audio - but you can fine tune this if needed too. I am sure other high-end video software will have similar features.

Les

B777Captain

PostTue Jul 06, 2021 4:51 pm

Thank you very much Les!
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

Theorbe

PostThu Jul 08, 2021 6:12 am

Deleted by author.
Last edited by Theorbe on Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B777Captain

PostThu Jul 08, 2021 10:07 pm

Very good, Andy! Thank you very much for that good explanation.

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

jerrymartin

PostFri Jul 09, 2021 6:05 am

Couple of software recommendations:

It is definitely advantageous to learn the basics of video editing software that supports multiple tracks (audio sources, video files, etc)

In my own journey I started with the free iMovie and/or windows movie maker: taking the ipad (or other camera) video file and lining up the audio from hauptwerk (the recorded .wav) file manually (eyeball technique) and then 'muting' the audio from the camera so that all audio comes only from the hauptwerk recorder.

The 'fancier' video software can do this automatically.

Cyberlink Power Director is a windows application that allows you to "synchronize audio" between multiple camera angles (or just your single camera angle and the wav file) and then you can mute the camera audio

I am now learning how to use adobe Premiere and it also has a 'synchronize audio' feature - import all the sources into a time-line and then the system lines it up for you.

I did a quick youtube search to find some directions on this, and this tutorial outlines using a free software package to do this. - this is the concept you are looking for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HbuASf8k6w
Jeremiah Martin,
Portsmouth, Ohio

Return to General discussion