It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:52 am

Loading more than one perspective in Stereo

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

jkinkennon

Re: Loading more than one perspective in Stereo

PostThu Jul 15, 2021 8:35 am

We sometimes make a distinction between sounds mixing in the air and mixing in electronics. Perhaps the problem of mixing in electronics should be restated as the problem of mixing in a single monophonic channel as opposed to mixing in stereo where we allow our ears to hear two different perspectives and a more natural listening experience. I have long opposed the use of monophonic sampling and sound reproduction for this reason.

TheOrganDoc

PostFri Jul 16, 2021 5:12 pm

May I add a perspective to this subject, I tuned and repaired many pipe organs before retirement, and I remember whilst tuning, hearing many undesirable beats, and modulations (Acoustic) effects, that to me were not always musical, and those beats that have Always Been Utilized by all Tuners to tune musical instruments, and also used to test the accuracy of a prior tuning. (re:) Thirds and Sixths, The Tuner gets most accustomed to hearing these beats and warbles, and knows which are correct and which not ! Tuning is done by listening carefully to the slow beats produced by playing the, Fourth's and Fifth's of each tonic note !
I hope that this helps us to hear a few of these not so nice sounds, that are usually Masked by the music !
A past musician quoted this to me, If you over analyze "each" and every sound that you hear from an instrument, you may need a padded room in the future ! "Enjoy the music ! ----, Mel
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

jkinkennon

PostSat Jul 17, 2021 8:48 am

Good points, Mel. I'm reminded of a piano tuner who could tune much better when she borrowed her husbands hearing aid for one ear. I don't think she realized that what she was doing was unbalancing her hearing by assisting the one ear. That lessened her natural ability to hear two matching perspectives and she heard the normally undesired beats much better.

I will be installing an organ today with three pairs of speakers in a smaller sanctuary. Yesterday I did some final tests with just a single speaker pair. I found myself annoyed by hearing more of the intermodulation garbage than usual, partly because it was just one pair of speakers and partly because that one pair were standing very close together. With ordinary stereo and with multichannel HW setups much of the potential improvement is lost if the speakers are not separated sufficiently from each other.

engrssc

PostSat Jul 17, 2021 10:33 am

In a situation requiring relatively close speaker positions, I found facing speakers in random positions, even a few facing up helped. A larger space would have been better, but at times that isn't possible.:

Rgds,
Ed
Previous

Return to General discussion