It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 pm

Theatre organ console - very high definition photo?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

organsRgreat

Theatre organ console - very high definition photo?

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 8:08 am

I'm looking for a really high quality photograph of a large theatre organ console - with enough definition to print at A3+ size (19 by 13 inches) with stop names readable. For printing at 300 dpi this means a file size of 5700 by 3900 pixels. Ideally a Wurlitzer, or the Moller now in the Pasadena Civic Auditorium. I'm happy to pay for the file, though I'd like to print it here on my Epson P600, so that I can choose the type of paper etc. I've spent quite a lot of time searching online, but not found anything at that level of definition. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks :)

EDIT: I've been looking on the Alamy site, and while some of their photos meet the required level of definition, I've not yet seen any console larger than a medium size three manual. Also, searching on "theatre organ" brings up quite a few pictures of operating theatres with patients' internal organs showing - not ideal just before lunch!

Jcvtpo

Re: Theatre organ console - very high definition photo?

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 11:01 am

Lance Luce has some high-resolution close-ups of the stop rails of various instruments.

https://www.lanceluce.com/theatre.html

organsRgreat

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 6:35 am

Excellent! These are by far the best theatre organ photos I've seen - they certainly prove that a theatre organ console can be a work of art. The largest I've found has dimensions of 2016 by 1512 pixels, which would be 6.72 by 5.04 inches if printed at 300 dpi. However I'm sure the original images must be larger than this, as he's obviously using top quality cameras and lenses - he probably reduced the size to save space and speed up downloads. So I'll email Lance to ask whether he would sell me one suitable for printing at 19 by 13 inches. My favourite is https://www.lanceluce.com/images/IMG_3065.jpg

IainStinson

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 7:55 am

A bit off topic.
Can someone kindly tell me what do the controls at the centre of the top row of the main “sweep” do? (They look like wooden sliders. The centre white three are marked Found Man an Solo.)

Thanks.

Iain

ldeutsch

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 2:03 pm

These wooden sliders are expression pedal indicators. They show how far open the shutters are for the various chambers. Theater organs often had very simply mechanical indicator for this, with a mechanical linkage to the expression pedals.

IainStinson

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 3:22 pm

Thanks Les.
Iain

Return to General discussion