It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:23 am

Hauptwerk consoles with mechanical stops?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

engrssc

Re: Hauptwerk consoles with mechanical stops?

PostTue Aug 10, 2021 3:08 pm

jkinkennon wrote:I believe that the previously pictured terraced console has label strips that are interchangeable. Not a perfect solution but an innovative approach that obviously works for some organists.

I believe this is what John is referring to:

BTW, You can do a search of Joerg Glebe to find all of the concerts he and his wife. Rachel have hosted in their home in Bochum, Germany (at least 47 or so since 2011). Each guest organist can choose from the vast variety of organ sample sets which Jorrg has available to use for their performance. These concerts were recorded and many MIDI as well as audio files are available.

Rgds,
Ed

Coenraads

PostTue Aug 10, 2021 4:09 pm

I think the idea of having a multiplicity of stops of which, depending on the sample set, only some are enabled, as indicated by being lit dimly, is brilliant.

The brightness can be controlled by altering the duty cycle so no additional hardware or power supplies are needed.
Also, the Arduino can be "taught" which stops are to be enabled by pressing a piston at the outset which includes all the stops for that sample set.

I think this feature could be easily added to my decoder program.
It will be an interesting challenge to write the code and bench test it to see if the idea has merit.

John

engrssc

PostTue Aug 10, 2021 5:20 pm

Coenraads wrote:I think this feature could be easily added to my decoder program.
It will be an interesting challenge to write the code and bench test it to see if the idea has merit.

Cheers and a high five.
Coenraads wrote: Also, the Arduino can be "taught" which stops are to be enabled by pressing a piston at the outset which includes all the stops for that sample set.

Something like a separate "SET" button?

Good luck and will be waiting for the results. 8)

BTW, had 6 (six) General Error events just this afternoon. :mrgreen:

Rgds,
Ed
Last edited by engrssc on Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

larason2

PostTue Aug 10, 2021 5:37 pm

Ah, I see what you mean. You’re right Ed, if all 68 outputs are analog, you would only need one pin per LED. You would still need the appropriate resistor though, and would have to test different analog out values to see what brightness you get from the LED’s, but it should work.

engrssc

PostTue Aug 10, 2021 5:42 pm

larason2 wrote:You would still need the appropriate resistor though, and would have to test different analog out values to see what brightness you get from the LED’s, but it should work.

Yes for the series resistor. So far a 1/8 watt 1K seems be working. With my latest re-do Rodgers console, I have replaced the default 5VDC incandescent lamps with high efficiency 3mm LEDs.

Should be interesting to see what John works out:

[quote="Coenraads"]The brightness can be controlled by altering the duty cycle so no additional hardware or power supplies are needed./quote]

For control via the drawknob switches, I'm using Midi Hardware BBS-1K boards which have 64 outputs.

https://www.midi-hardware.com/index.php?section=prod_info&product=BBS-1K

These boards can be "split", so half of the outputs (32) send "note-on only" when you pull the knob, and the other half (32) send "note-off only" messages when the knob is pushed in. It just worked out that both both the left and the right stpp jams each had 32 positions on this console. Using that same BBS-1K board for "note-on only" and " note-off only" coupler MIDI messages.

Rgds,
Ed
Last edited by engrssc on Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coenraads

PostTue Aug 10, 2021 6:09 pm

No SET button is needed to teach the Arduino which stops are to be enabled. It will be programmed so that anytime an ON command comes for a stop, the Arduino will add it to its list of stops to be enabled. So at the beginning, if you push a piston with all the stops for that sample set, all those stops will continue to glow even after cancel is pushed.

All the Arduino outputs will be set to digital including the analog and PWM pins.
Try this little sketch to see the difference between LED 13 being fully ON and the brightness
at 25% duty cycle.

// Declarations==========================================

int i;

//Initialize =========================================================
void setup ()
{
pinMode (13, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(13,LOW);

}

//Main Loop ===========================================================
void loop()
{
digitalWrite(13,HIGH);
delay(1000);

for (i = 1; i < 1000 ; i++)
{ digitalWrite(13,HIGH);
delay (1);
digitalWrite(13,LOW);
delay (3);
}
}

engrssc

PostTue Aug 10, 2021 6:46 pm

Was thinking in terms of when a sample set was/is initially set up. You would need to select all or especially selected -(depending the physically available) stops for that set. There's room for individual creativity (whatever that is) here.

I'm (still) thinking in terms of how a combination action is set up and functions.

The coupler rail uses center off, momentary (lighted rocker switches) up for "note-on only" and momentary down for "note-off only". The MIDI channel used for the light control and the MIDI channel from the control switches needs to be the same for HW to function.

Rgds
Ed

jkinkennon

PostWed Aug 11, 2021 10:11 am

As an alternative to displays that are off, dim, or bright one might try keeping the displays that are part of the sample set bright and adding a white frame or perhaps top and bottom bars when the stop is selected. The small fonts necessary for OLEDs make them a challenge to read, at least to my older eyes. Dimming them will decrease readability. Even a single horizontal bar is quite easy to see if it uses the full font height.

Also, the SPI versions of the displays are likely easier to work with than I2C due to the increased speed of SPI, the decreased overhead, and the ability to send commands to all stops at once or to a subgroup depending on which CS pins are activated.
Previous

Return to General discussion