It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:01 am

Armsbee Bancroft - British theatre organist

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

organsRgreat

Armsbee Bancroft - British theatre organist

PostSat Aug 28, 2021 7:30 am

I’m seeking information about British theatre organist Armsbee Bancroft, for an article for the magazine of the UK-based Electronic Organ Constructors' Society. This is a bit of a long shot on this forum, and I’m aware that I might get a better response on one of the Facebook groups such as British Cinema Organs. However the deadline for copy for the next EOCS magazine is 4th September, and by the time I’ve applied to join one of the Facebook groups, and waited for my application to be accepted, it might be too late for our next edition.

There are currently three videos of Armsbee on Youtube – for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXMMC9z-NkM

I’m amazed that he played so well but was never a full-time musician. I’d love to know what his “day job” was – what did he do for a living? I know that he lived in Burton on Trent, and died in 1989 – does anyone know when he was born? Any personal reminiscences would be very welcome – he seems to have been quite a character!

burtonwurli

Re: Armsbee Bancroft - British theatre organist

PostMon Aug 30, 2021 5:55 pm

This is a long shot. Armsbee Bancroft taught Russell Holmes theatre organ and for a while Russell was on the organ circuit internationally. Russell later worked on the liners as a pianist. It now appears that he works for Gary Parkes Music Ltd as an events manager. Maybe Russell can give you some info.GPM can be found on the net.

regards

Derek

organsRgreat

Re: Armsbee Bancroft - British theatre organist

PostTue Aug 31, 2021 7:09 am

Excellent! I’ve found Russell on Facebook, and messaged him there, with a link to this post. A former pupil would be the ideal person to answer my queries. Many thanks.

Return to General discussion