It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:26 am

ilok cloud

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

neptune

ilok cloud

PostSat Dec 18, 2021 2:47 pm

I'm in the process of upgrading to HW 6, I have some computer hardware that is giving me grief (windows :shock: ) and I might need to purchase new hardware eventually.

In the process of all this, I might be installing HW several times on different hardware. I'm on my second install right now and the ilok manager allowed me to transfer my keys to my new windows setup which is great, and it deactivated my old copy which is also great.

My question is; will I mess something up if I do this too many times? Does anybody or anything get upset, either HW or ilok?

I don't intend to do this on a daily basis of course, after a week or so I should have this all figured out and permanent (including the purchase of an ilok key which is still coming) so I won't need to switch stuff around.

Just playing with this pesky hardware and windows not working well on my machine. I have an hp z600 which is dual xeon and 40 gigs of ram, was "given" to me so I figured I'd wipe it and install windows 10 but the latency is through the roof. No amount of usb or kernel tweaking will get it below 1000us (dpclat shows the bars always in the yellow).

Same hardware running windows 7 (both versions of windows are fresh installs)? <= 200us in dpclat.

So for some reason the drivers are better on windows 7, but now the machine is making very high pitched squealing noises which I suspect means the power supply is on the way out so hence my question and possible need to transfer everything yet again to a new computer.

mdyde

Re: ilok cloud

PostSat Dec 18, 2021 3:24 pm

Hello neptune,

Thanks very much for upgrading to v6.

You can safely switch iLok Cloud between any number of computers, any number of times, with no limits. To change from one computer to another you just need to exit Hauptwerk and close your iLok Cloud session on the first computer and then open your iLok Cloud session and launch Hauptwerk on the second (no need to deactivate or activate any licences).

The only limitation is that you can only actually be logged into iLok Cloud on one computer at any one time (i.e. exit Hauptwerk and close your iLok Cloud session on the other first).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

neptune

PostSat Dec 18, 2021 4:11 pm

Thanks Martin that's good to hear.

harty

PostSat Dec 18, 2021 10:07 pm

Greetings - I have an HP server with dual xeons and found the app - 'latency monitor' v helpful. The greatest 'culprit' was windows 10 Defender. A 'cut down ' version of W10 is worth pursuing - and run it without internet - once you have an iLok.
A big advantage of HP Server was being able to run 100 + GB of (older ) Ram. It enables you to load most large samples without having to be concerned re RAM limitation. It is not as fast as one may suspect - depending on the CPU processors you have. ? age - number of cores etc. Other forum members may have experience and advice on the 'merit or not' for servers and dual Xeons and may be able to comment. However - if it is 'free' to you - it may well be worth adding ram and persisting with further. ( I have a Focusrite Scarlett v3 audio interface.)

neptune

PostSun Dec 19, 2021 8:40 pm

Thanks for you comments harty; I did also use latency monitor, on windows 10 the main problems were "usbport.sys" and one "storport.sys". So usb drivers and one for harddrive. The hardware is perfect, it used to run linux for years and it also run windows 7 with no issues, just appears to be bad drivers on windows 10 and no support for it anymore from HP.

I've got it running pretty good now and after tweaking some CPU throttling settings, I've played it now for about 3 hours total so far and not a single drop out so I'm quite happy. It's an old machine but it should run forever and my samples all fit very comfortably into 40 gigs.

Once my ilok key arrives it will be unplugged permanently from the internet so I'm not worried about that aspect.

Return to General discussion