It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:52 am

Why are virtual theatre organs always designed "landscape"?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

DQB321

Why are virtual theatre organs always designed "landscape"?

PostThu Jan 06, 2022 12:27 pm

I now have the full Paramount sets, the Ryhope Compton and most recently the Wyton House Compton complete with melotone add-on. They are all excellent sets, but as I have my computer monitors fixed in portrait position, it is (for me) impossible to read the stop tabs, let alone control them by hand, because the tabs all appear in the central part of the screen with vast blank areas about and beneath. Is there any software that can be used to "re-design" virtual theatre organ consoles to fit "portrait" or if anyone has the same experience and has experimented who might know what is involved. I have several very large virtual drawstop organs where the stops are easy to see and control by hand. Why do virtual theatre organs have always to be designed "landscape"? And if there was a "portrait" option surely might that encourage more sales?

mdyde

Re: Why are virtual theatre organs always designed "landscap

PostThu Jan 06, 2022 1:01 pm

Hello DQB321,

DQB321 wrote: Is there any software that can be used to "re-design" virtual theatre organ consoles to fit "portrait" or if anyone has the same experience and has experimented who might know what is involved.

There isn't an easy way for your to redesign a sample set's graphical console, I'm afraid, although we do have adding that ability logged as a potential enhancement request for the longer-term future. (You could potentially try to recreate the entire organ definition within the Custom Organ Design Module, but that would be quite involved, especially for theatre organs, and have some limitations with regard to the theatre organ functionality that you would be replicate that way.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mkc1

Re: Why are virtual theatre organs always designed "landscap

PostFri Jan 07, 2022 9:54 am

If you want to do more programming, it's possible to write your own UI to run as a standalone program sending MIDI messages over a virtual MIDI cable to Hauptwerk. Sort of like a virtual Novation Launchpad running as a separate application. I wrote a simple java swing application to provide large easy-to-use buttons on my smallish touch screen.

There may also exist 3rd party software that does that, but the only ones I'm aware of (TouchOSC and Liine Lemur) want to run on iOS or Android. I guess you could run a virtual machine with Android, run one of those in the VM and send the MIDI signals to Hauptwerk running on the host OS.

With any of those though you lose the attractive native UI that comes with the sample set.

Return to General discussion