It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:17 pm

Hauptwerk 7 Early user experience

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

IainStinson

Hauptwerk 7 Early user experience

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 11:41 am

The upgrade from HW 6.0.2 was very straightforward. All settings were preserved, no instruments need to be upgraded or reinstalled. It took less than 15 minutes, including the time to take the backup of the settings.

All instruments had to be recached after the upgrade. (You may need to allow time for this when you plan your upgrade.)

HW 7 has been in regular use for a little more than a month with no problems on my Windows 10 system.

HW 7 includes further improvements to the sound quality. (Can it really sound any better?)
The “Real-time audio pitch-shifting quality” organ preference has been renamed to “Audio engine processing quality”, and now offers the following three choices:
o “Lower (maximum polyphony; legacy v2-v5 quality)”.
o “Medium (about 50% less polyphony; legacy v6 'HD pitch-shifting' quality)”.
o “Higher (recommended; lower distortion, about 60% less polyphony than ‘lower’)”.
It controls the time resolution at which Hauptwerk's tremulant, wind supply, swell box, and relay models are processed, and thus their quality, accuracy, smoothness, realism, and response. Higher settings are more CPU-intensive.

My system uses 5 stereo channels for the front perspective, one for the rear and one for the subwoofer. For smaller instruments I’ve used the Higher option, but for most instrument I’ve used the medium option. The sound quality is excellent.

The new “Organ MIDI assignments override global?" option allows midi settings for operating master registration and other functions which may be assigned to operate with all organs (since HW 6) to be overridden by settings made for individual instruments. I auto detected some pistons on the console to be HW master general pistons “for all organs”, these pistons operate as Master Generals for all instruments I load, without having to auto detect them again. However, with this option enabled, for specific sample sets, I assign these pistons to other functions more appropriate for the sample set. In HW 6, I found the global facility less useful than I had hoped because there was no override option and In practice I found it best if a “switch” was either assigned globally or per sample set and not both. In my view this option makes the global facilities introduced in HW 6 much more usable, and simplifies the customisation of a particular sample set to your console. I have also used this for the sequencer and divisional pistons (using scoped master pistons).

HW 7 includes more “large control panels” and changes to some existing large control panels. There are two new mini control panels “Show/hide large floating control panels 1” and “... 2”, these provide improved access to the large control panels. These improvements to the player interface make the system more accessible through touch screens. HW 7 does seem to be trying to make important improvements to the user interface, moving away from having to use the traditional computer menu line; most functions can be accessed through control panels, and there are more computer keyboard shortcuts to functions as well. I think these changes will help those who find the existing menu system too fiddly.

There are improvements to the piston toolbars. These can have additional functions assigned to them and the labels for each “piston” can be customised. I’ve not made much use of piston toolbars. I have sufficient real pistons not to need them for combination or stepper pistons, but may make more use of them to customise other aspects of my user interface. As these can be located on the second console window, unlike control panels which may only be docked on the first console window, with the HW 7 improvements, I think they offer some potential which I’ve not previously exploited.

In the advanced edition, the interface to the audio mixer has undergone a major revision (and improvement). Whilst the principles of its operation have not changed, it is now clearer to see the relevant settings for a particular audio profile, and there are now a possible 128 audio profiles available. Functions to copy, rename, export, import audio profiles are not included in this release. I found the improvements provided valuable and welcome - It is now easier to see what is going on.

There are other (minor) changes, including an option to reset the transposed when loading an organ, an option to reset the combination frame number to zero, or not when loading a combination file and so on. I like the change which shows “advanced” items when viewing lists of functions.

Windows 11 and MacOS 12 are formally supported.

The HW 7 iLOK licence is accepted as a valid licence for 6.0.2. This means that if you buy a licence for HW 7 and redeem the code (and surrender your previous licence if you purchased an upgrade) in iLOK manager, you can run either HW 7 or HW 6.0.2. This would enable you to use HW 6 on one computer (or partition) or HW 7 on another computer (or partition). You could buy HW 7 during any special offer period, activate the licence and then upgrade from 6.0.2 at a time which is more convenient to you. Note: you can still only have one version of HW installed on a computer(or partition) at anytime, and one licence only allows one copy of HW (7 or 6.0.2) at any time.

As ever, the release notes provide complete details of the changes (Hauptwerk website | support | documentation).

I am most grateful for having had the opportunity to try out this release and would like to thank Martin for his fine work on this outstanding product.

Iain
Last edited by IainStinson on Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

Re: Hauptwerk 7 Early user experience

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 12:01 pm

Thanks very much, Iain. Very much appreciated, and glad you like it.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

jkinkennon

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 12:01 pm

Thanks for all the information! I did the upgrade without incident but unfortunately my Scarlett 18i10 interface is on loan to a church that had an RME 800 power supply failure. Bad timing for me!

smfrank

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 1:06 pm

I downloaded but when I run the installer it keeps asking "please select another location to extract the installer to:"
When I choose a new location I get the same thing.
I created a new folder, same thing.
I have >250 gigs available.
I even restarted.
Running Win 7 pro
And I used a download manager.
Steve

mdyde

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 1:19 pm

Hello Steve,

That almost certainly just means that the file you downloaded is corrupted or incomplete. Its file size and MD5 checksum should be exactly as follows:

Windows:
InstallHauptwerk_v7.0.0.136.exe
MD5 checksum: f96fc0ad4f74392e594d528df4231dc2
3.00 GB (3,229,062,512 bytes)

macOS:
InstallHauptwerk_v7.0.0.136.zip
MD5 checksum: bee6c282bf81464c1fa111bb162f6391
3.16 GB (3,396,476,577 bytes)

If not, please try downloading it again. Probably the server is busy at the moment.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ldeutsch

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 3:59 pm

Sorry, I must have missed something.

I have not seen any announcement of HW v7 - nothing in the Forum Announcements section nor anything in my email.

If this upgrade is now generally available, please let us all know how to get it.

Les

mnailor

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 4:13 pm

ldeutsch wrote:Sorry, I must have missed something.

I have not seen any announcement of HW v7 - nothing in the Forum Announcements section nor anything in my email.

If this upgrade is now generally available, please let us all know how to get it.

Les

https://www.hauptwerk.com/hauptwerk-store/

I guess someone is still writing an announcement.
Last edited by mnailor on Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smfrank

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 4:14 pm

ldeutsch wrote:Sorry, I must have missed something.
Les

Yeah, big secret. It's on the HW website. Good luck trying to get it.
Seems the download server is as good as the forum server.

Downloaded with a manager, wouldn't work.
Chrome direct - nope
Firefox direct - nope

I've downloaded sample sets at 50 GB with no issues.
It seems although HW is great software, their servers are total Mickey Mouse.

Steve

TubaFan

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 4:42 pm

What are the extended voicing controls?

ricou26

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 4:51 pm

yes you are right the download server is very bad. several attempts and always failures
with Sonus Paradisi I have no problem it is only with your download server that I must systematically control
the MD5 I do not have the fiber it is very painful

mnailor

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 5:02 pm

TubaFan wrote:What are the extended voicing controls?

I don't believe there are any new voicing parameters in 7 over 6.02. The release notes don't mention any, and I didn't notice any new ones.

smfrank

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 6:41 pm

Just to beat a dead horse, this whole download thing is a joke.
It is so amateurish as to be laughable.

I have wasted all afternoon trying to get a useable download.
Now I wait til a later date.

The good news is, you took my $99 lickety split.

Glad to know you've got the commerce end worked out.

How about you spend some time on the technical aspect before you go bragging that you have a new version!!!

Steve

andersonxt

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 6:59 pm

A fantastic product like Hauptwerk deserves better rollout prep.

I downloaded the file 9 times, getting the wrong MD5 checksum every time. -- I should have checked the forum again before I complained to my internet service provider!

TubaFan

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 10:43 pm

mnailor wrote:
TubaFan wrote:What are the extended voicing controls?

I don't believe there are any new voicing parameters in 7 over 6.02. The release notes don't mention any, and I didn't notice any new ones.

The Features Data Sheet says: "Voicing capabilities have been significantly extended."

mnailor

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 10:58 pm

Oh. Haven't found a features sheet.
Next

Return to General discussion