It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:10 am

Hauptwerk 7 Early user experience

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

IainStinson

Re: Hauptwerk 7 Early user experience

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 12:02 pm

It is documented in the release notes for HW 7.... so it should work for 6.0.2 HW systems.
(The functionality to recognise the ilok license for HW 7 as being valid for 6.0.2 must be in 6.0.2.)
Perhaps Martin will comment...
Iain

ricou26

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 12:14 pm

mdyde wrote:Hello Steve, münsterorganist, andersonxt and ricou26,

Thanks very much for buying the v7 upgrade, and very sorry to hear that you've been continuing to have problems downloading it. If it isn't working any better today then please send an email to support [at] hauptwerk.com and Francois should be able to send you a download link from a different server.

ldeutsch wrote:Sorry, I must have missed something.

I have not seen any announcement of HW v7 - nothing in the Forum Announcements section nor anything in my email.

If this upgrade is now generally available, please let us all know how to get it.

Hello Les,

An official announcement hasn't been posted/sent yet, but Brett/Michelle will be doing that soon.

TubaFan wrote:What are the extended voicing controls?

To confirm Mark's reply (thanks, Mark), there are no voicing changes in v7. The release notice has the full list of changes in v7: https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/

Hello Martin
I know it's not your fault
I haven't purchased Hauptwerk 7 yet.
I want to download it first and that the file is valid before paying: but what is this link valid for 12 hours
you can't put a direct download link now i have to ask for a link again for 12 hours
I'm in France and I don't have the fiber I guarantee you that it takes patience not to crack
Sincerely Ricou26

mdyde

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 12:31 pm

marcus.reeves wrote:
IainStinson wrote:The HW 7 iLOK licence is accepted as a valid licence for 6.0.2. This means that if you buy a licence for HW 7 and redeem the code (and surrender your previous licence if you purchased an upgrade) in iLOK manager, you can run either HW 7 or HW 6.0.2. This would enable you to use HW 6 on one computer (or partition) or HW 7 on another computer (or partition). You could buy HW 7 during any special offer period, activate the licence and then upgrade from 6.0.2 at a time which is more convenient to you. Note: you can still only have one version of HW installed on a computer(or partition) at anytime, and one licence only allows one copy of HW (7 or 6.0.2) at any time.

Hi Iain

I tried this today, and it didn’t work for me, HW6 wouldn’t launch on a different installation with my HW7 licence. Maybe it worked for you because you had a pre-release version?

Hello marcus/Iain,

Yes -- Hauptwerk v6.0.2 should accept a Hauptwerk v7 licence as valid. N.B. you must be using v6.0.2+ (not v6.0.1, for example) for that to apply, and the v7 licence must be active. For example, if you're using iLok Cloud then make sure that the licence is activated to iLok Cloud, and that your iLok Cloud session is open on the computer on which you're trying to run v6.0.2.

I've just tested it again for good measure, and v6.0.2 will definitely still launch for me in the presence of a v7 licence (with no v6 licence present).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

marcus.reeves

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 12:34 pm

mdyde wrote:
marcus.reeves wrote:
IainStinson wrote:The HW 7 iLOK licence is accepted as a valid licence for 6.0.2. This means that if you buy a licence for HW 7 and redeem the code (and surrender your previous licence if you purchased an upgrade) in iLOK manager, you can run either HW 7 or HW 6.0.2. This would enable you to use HW 6 on one computer (or partition) or HW 7 on another computer (or partition). You could buy HW 7 during any special offer period, activate the licence and then upgrade from 6.0.2 at a time which is more convenient to you. Note: you can still only have one version of HW installed on a computer(or partition) at anytime, and one licence only allows one copy of HW (7 or 6.0.2) at any time.

Hi Iain

I tried this today, and it didn’t work for me, HW6 wouldn’t launch on a different installation with my HW7 licence. Maybe it worked for you because you had a pre-release version?

Hello marcus/Iain,

Yes -- Hauptwerk v6.0.2 should accept a Hauptwerk v7 licence as valid. N.B. you must be using v6.0.2+ (not v6.0.1, for example) for that to apply, and the v7 licence must be active. For example, if you're using iLok Cloud then make sure that the licence is activated to iLok Cloud, and that your iLok Cloud session is open on the computer on which you're trying to run v6.0.2.

I've just tested it again for good measure, and v6.0.2 will definitely still launch for me in the presence of a v7 licence (with no v6 licence present).

Thanks for checking Martin. I'm pretty sure I was using v6.0.2 so it's strange it didn't work. The HW7 licence was activated and cloud session open but it wouldn't allow it to open for me. All slightly irrelevant now as I've upgraded to HW7 on both setups and enjoying it immensely - the improvements are much appreciated.
Best wishes,
Marcus

mdyde

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 12:35 pm

ricou26 wrote:Hello Martin
I know it's not your fault
I haven't purchased Hauptwerk 7 yet.
I want to download it first and that the file is valid before paying: but what is this link valid for 12 hours
you can't put a direct download link now i have to ask for a link again for 12 hours
I'm in France and I don't have the fiber I guarantee you that it takes patience not to crack
Sincerely Ricou26

Hello Eric,

Thanks very much for the interest in upgrading, and our apologies again for the download problems at the moment. If you haven't already done so, please do try sending an email to Francois at support [at] hauptwerk.com -- he should be able to help you get it downloaded successfully.
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 12:36 pm

marcus.reeves wrote:Thanks for checking Martin. I'm pretty sure I was using v6.0.2 so it's strange it didn't work. The HW7 licence was activated and cloud session open but it wouldn't allow it to open for me. All slightly irrelevant now as I've upgraded to HW7 on both setups and enjoying it immensely - the improvements are much appreciated.

Thanks very much, Marcus. Excellent -- glad you like it.
Best regards, Martin.

tf11972

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 1:15 am

Last night I tried three times to download. Everytime it broke off. The servers are overloaded, I think.

EDIT: Today the download worked :)
Best regards
Thomas

Forestpipes - Virtual Pipe Organs
https://forestpipes.de

ricou26

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 7:11 am

Hello
I want here to thank Martin and especially François
for the download links . barely an hour between the request and the reception of the links
I also confirm that with a 7 license version 6.0.2 of Hauptwerk works ;
yes I haven't done the update yet
but it will be done in the week
best regards Eric

mdyde

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 7:33 am

Thanks very much, Eric. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 10:04 am

I live in rural Wiltshire, and although I have "superfast fibre broadband" from British Telecomm, the reality is that the fibre connection goes to a roadside cabinet which is 2 Km from the house, and it is (ancient) twisted copper the rest of the way. I generally manage 4MB/s with frequent dropouts.

It took me many attempts to download HW7. I tried Firefox and Edge, and also two download managers, one of which seemed happy with a 0 KB download and the other kept hanging at 99% after about two hours. I was finally successful using Edge.

The upgrade was very straightforward and I am now in the process of rebuilding my caches, which will take several days. It is a bit early for me to form an impression of the sound quality, but all of my settings seem to have been preserved and everything is working as expected. The least straightforward part was locating and activating the new iLok licence, but that wasn't very difficult, either.

I have no idea why MDA, and indeed most of the sample set producers, don't offer the option of downloading using FTP, which after all is the standard actually designed for moving large files around networks and is quite happy to be paused and to re-establish broken connections without having to restart the download.

mdyde

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 10:06 am

Thanks very much, Julian.

Our apologies that the main download server has been struggling, and glad to hear you managed to get the file downloaded in the end. Hope you like it once you've had a chance to play with it properly.
Best regards, Martin.

rayjcar

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 3:15 pm

I had several failed attempts to download the V7 file, but after Francois provided another link, I succeeded. Before I started the installation but with the V7 license activated, I tried launching Hauptwerk 6.02 and there was no problem.

After installing the program, I started to load the Albee Wurlitzer sample set, and got a warning message saying that it might not be possible because I had only 65 Gb ? remaining on my hard drive. I ignored the warning, and the sample set loaded and cached okay. I have had this warning pop up before, and perhaps Martin can explain if this is a Hauptwerk message or a Windows 10 message. I have a RAID1 array with two 250 Gb drives.

I thought that the audio quality improvement in going from V5 to V6 was dramatic, but going to V7 is even more impressive. What's interesting is that with sampled tremulants on theatre organs, if a lot of ranks are active, the sound can get quite mushy with hints of intermodulation distortion. This is probably because the tremulant phase for ranks on the same trem aren't in sync as they would be on a real organ. Even though I wasn't expecting an improvement (because the trems aren't modeled), I was surprised at how much cleaner the sound is. Perhaps Martin can shed some light as to why.

Bottom line, the upgrade is well worth it. For those of you whinging about the $99 cost of the upgrade, get over it!

Ray

mdyde

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 3:52 pm

Thanks very much, Ray. Excellent.

rayjcar wrote:After installing the program, I started to load the Albee Wurlitzer sample set, and got a warning message saying that it might not be possible because I had only 65 Gb ? remaining on my hard drive. I ignored the warning, and the sample set loaded and cached okay. I have had this warning pop up before, and perhaps Martin can explain if this is a Hauptwerk message or a Windows 10 message. I have a RAID1 array with two 250 Gb drives.

(Unchanged from previous versions) Hauptwerk just warns if the amount of free space on the cache drive is less than a certain amount relative to the amount of RAM your computer has (on the basis that you might nearly fill the RAM, which would probably need a similar-sized cache). It's just a crude check and can be ignored if it fits.

rayjcar wrote:I thought that the audio quality improvement in going from V5 to V6 was dramatic, but going to V7 is even more impressive. What's interesting is that with sampled tremulants on theatre organs, if a lot of ranks are active, the sound can get quite mushy with hints of intermodulation distortion. This is probably because the tremulant phase for ranks on the same trem aren't in sync as they would be on a real organ. Even though I wasn't expecting an improvement (because the trems aren't modeled), I was surprised at how much cleaner the sound is. Perhaps Martin can shed some light as to why.

The new 'higher' options use higher-quality filter processing (which should potentially benefit any sample set), and smoother background model processing, respectively. The release notice has the full details.
Best regards, Martin.

Romanos

PostSun Jan 30, 2022 9:53 am

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote:I have no idea why MDA, and indeed most of the sample set producers, don't offer the option of downloading using FTP, which after all is the standard actually designed for moving large files around networks and is quite happy to be paused and to re-establish broken connections without having to restart the download.

As a related issue to this observation, I have no idea why we don't have the option of downloading HW WITHOUT DOWNLOADING ST. ANNE'S. I have umpteen samplesets already. I don't need a 3gb program file stuffed with St. Anne's that I never use (for the 3rd or 4th time). I also resent that the first time you open HW it forces you to build a cache for St. Anne's rather than allowing you to select a different organ. I imagine half of the download issues would evaporate overnight if this one change was made and the program file shrunk to 400mb or whatever it would be.

mdyde

PostSun Jan 30, 2022 10:13 am

Hello James,

We do definitely want St. Anne's always to be installed, since the user guide, other documentation, Custom Organ Design Module organs, some third-party sample sets, and other things, depend upon its presence. Also, it's important for support, so that we can ask people to verify whether any problems that they might have can be reproduced with St. Anne's, which is a known-entity, and to explain how to do things using an organ that everybody has ready access to.

In Hauptwerk v4 there was actually a separate 'upgrade only installer' download (which didn't have St. Anne's, but which required the 'full installer' already to have been used previously so that St. Anne's would already be installed). That was more necessary then because most people's Internet connections were much slower then. However, it did cause a lot of confusion in itself, whereby people would not be clear about which version to use, or would only have downloaded/saved the upgrade installer but then need to do a reinstallation, or would have partial/broken installations, which the upgrade-only installer would be unable to repair, etc. Also, newer Hauptwerk versions sometimes have updated versions of St. Anne's, which would need to be present.

Hence we felt that it was simpler and better overall now only to have the full installers. Provided that the download servers are working properly that wouldn't normally be a problem for most people these days. There's no particular need to keep previous Hauptwerk installer versions saved on your computer, except perhaps for the last (in case of any unexpected problems with a new version).
Best regards, Martin.
PreviousNext

Return to General discussion