It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:12 am

Hauptwerk 7?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Hauptwerk 7?

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 12:58 pm

Hello all,

OK, I'll admit I don't frequent / comment on the forum as much as I used to, but I'm still generally checking it a couple times a week to see if there's anything new. Today much to my surprise and just by chance, and I would have missed it had I not been paying attention, I see this screen pop up very briefly (and then go away), that says something about a new V7. I'm like, huh? So, I go to the news / announcements section, nothing there AT ALL about this V7, not a single post or mention of it. Then I go to the general discussion section to see what I might learn and about 15 posts down I see a few mentions of it but not from the folks who run the show here. WOW! Can anyone explain why so little (and nothing really official on the forum anyways) that has been announced about this? It is a new release after all! Furthermore, navigating around the site takes you around and around in circles which is very frustrating and I finally was able to at least find out what it's going to cost me to upgrade from V5, but I'll be dammed if I can find anything else that covers new features, which version of Windows it will work with (in my case Win 7), and I fear I may be making a much larger investment that the require $269 entry fee in order to keep up with things.

We've seen a lot of issues and complaints as of late concerning the ability to download, complaints that the forum doesn't work half the time, and now this no announcement of V7 thing is just another example why I upgraded to V5 and then in my opinion things have went downhill, that or the folks running the show really don't care as long as we put up with things and buy. That ain't how it works for me, sorry.

Honestly, I'm about done with Hauptwerk and will stick with what I have until it quits. Perhaps by then there will be a new player out there. I'll roll the dice and take may chances.

Regards,

Marc

mdyde

Re: Hauptwerk 7?

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 1:15 pm

Hello Marc,

Thanks for the interest in v7.

Brett/Michelle are planning to announce it officially on the forum, and send an email announcement, soon.

The changes in v7 can be found in the release notice here: https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/

... and the computer requirements (which are unchanged from v5, so v7 should work equally well on any computer and operating system that could run v5, including Windows 7) are here: https://www.hauptwerk.com/requirements/ . Click on the 'Prerequisites' link near the top-right of that page for full details.

If you decide to upgrade and have any difficulty downloading (due to the main server being heavily loaded at the moment), then please send an email to support [at] hauptwerk.com and Francois should be able to send you a download link from a different server.

The downloaded file's details should be as follows if the file has downloaded successfully:

Windows:
InstallHauptwerk_v7.0.0.136.exe
MD5 checksum: f96fc0ad4f74392e594d528df4231dc2
3.00 GB (3,229,062,512 bytes)

macOS:
InstallHauptwerk_v7.0.0.136.zip
MD5 checksum: bee6c282bf81464c1fa111bb162f6391
3.16 GB (3,396,476,577 bytes)

Thanks again.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

IainStinson

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 1:15 pm

Hi Marc,

Well as ever the software is excellent. If you have the patience have a look at my "early experience" note at http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20204&sid=6cc87794ede713bf111d8244ee338838

The release notes at <HW website> | <support> | <documents> gives the full details of the additional functionality in HW VII and details of the changes in earlier releases too.

Whilst the software (and its documentation) is excellent, the marketing and pre sales information has been very "limited" and the delivery of the software through the HW website has (again) suffered from poor performance of the servers being used. The forum still breaks too often...

But to reiterate, the product is excellent! Get through the bad stuff and I think you may find it worthwhile.

Iain

paulw

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 1:42 pm

Have to say I agree with Marc.

You win more hearts and minds if you get your sales & marketing right first. On the first day there was any mention of HW 7 it was on the Forum, but nothing on your site.

Just received the email encouraging me to upgrade which takes me through to a HW 6 branded page (with HW 7 products shown further down).

Totally agree all this development costs to keep going, but perhaps a more progressive upgrade pricing path rather than $99 for HW6 and $239 for HW5 & 4, e.g. $99 / $129 / $239 for 6 / 5 / 4 respectively.

What might just have been an impulse buy (from HW 5) for me is now a wait (and save) a bit longer.

Have also been frustrated with too many times when the Forum seemed to imply too many people are using it.

Keep going with the great product, but please don't alienate your customers. There's a lot of people on your side and they're a lot harder to win back than keep!

1961TC4ME

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 1:44 pm

Hello Martin and Iain,

Thanks Martin for the links and info, much appreciated. I appreciate you saying thanks to me, but if anyone should be saying thanks, it should be all of us saying thanks to you! I know you work your tail off and tirelessly on Hauptwerk. If it were not for you this entire Hauptwerk thing would have collapsed like a house of cards long ago. What irks me is the general non attention, non involvement by the owners which can only be interpreted as " we don't give a crap." What else am I supposed to conclude? It's like I'm being told, if you want to buy then buy, if you don't then ah, well, no big deal we have plenty of others that will put up with our attitude. I deal with some much larger and much more successful companies who I buy things from on a regular basis and things can be learned from them. In each case, even though the owner could just let things run as is and just go golfing and goof around every day, they instead are very involved in the daily things going on, communicate with their customers and show a real passion for the hobby. Other than you, Martin, I do not see that here and haven't for a very long time. Brett used to be on the forum all the time which told me he cares and is listening and interacting with his customers. The past number of years it's been totally the opposite as you, Martin seem to be covering all the bases now. When's the last time Brett even posted something here on the forum? Months? Years?

Iain,

I wouldn't even give things a 'limited' grade at this point, and instead would say it is more 'lousy' but I'm not talking about the contributions from Martin, he's done a stellar job all along and we can't expect him to do everything, so it is no fault of his for the lacking in other areas. I'm sure V7 is good, I'll consider it but now faced with a $269 upgrade fee I question if it's really going to pay dividends for me as I have V5 and am quite happy with it. We'll see.

Hello Paul,

You bring up the one thing that keeps coming up over and over, the perception of 'alienation' of the customers and no nothing to change things after all the strong suggestions to address it.

Regards,

Marc

Erzahler

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 5:04 pm

Please if there is a Version 8 let us hear about it first from Martin and the producers of Hauptwerk.
Please outline the advances in the new version.
Please clearly outline the pricing.
Not doing it this way leads to confusion and suspicion which is not good for the future of the software.

CyrilCouten

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 5:25 pm

Reading all the above raises a few legittimate questions for the longer term.

We all have invested quite a lot of money and time on Hauptwerk SW, IT/audio equipment, sample sets ... and yet, as users/customers, we have no idea/confidence on the Hauptwerk future developments.

I think we deserve some (regular) information from the company ! We are a small community using an excellent product. Lets capitalize on that !

For instance, are any users represented in any (non operational) committee ?

Tks.

jharmon

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 6:02 pm

First post in ages as I had given up on relying on Brett. I couldn’t agree more with Marc. We who have been with Hauptwerk for years can see a progression of unkept promises (upgrades to Metz, new release of the Skinner, etc). I have no confidence in anything with the company OTHER THAN Martin. He is a class act.

Return to General discussion