It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:47 am

Problem Downloading Upgrade to HW 7

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

player10

Problem Downloading Upgrade to HW 7

PostThu Feb 24, 2022 11:25 am

I mis-understood the process of how the downloads worked. I have tried to use the "Contact" option but I get an "error" saying "Try again later" so I guess this forum is the only option now to get in touch with Milan. How convenient.

I used my PayPal "trusted device" PC laptop to purchase the upgrade thinking I could later log in and download the files on my VPOl iMac. Instead the files were delivered to my laptop (useless to me there) and I don't know how to get them over to the Mac. I doubt that moving by flash drive will work.

Help!

player10

mdyde

Re: Problem Downloading Upgrade to HW 7

PostThu Feb 24, 2022 12:53 pm

Hello player10,

Thanks very much for buying the upgrade and sorry to hear about the problem.

Does the main Hauptwerk download page work for you?:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/win/

(The Hauptwerk for Windows software is the same regardless of how it's downloaded -- it's just the presence or absence of a licence that determines whether it runs in licensed mode or as a trial.)

Alternatively, if you've download the Windows version on your Mac then you could potentially transfer that to your PC via a USB memory stick.

Or if either of those are problematic just let us know and I think Francois would be able to send you a download link for it if needed. Thanks again.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

player10

PostSun Mar 20, 2022 5:29 pm

My initial problem has been resolved and after two attempts, HW7 downloaded and was installed. Now I understand I have to "Re-cach" all my sample sets. What is involved with doing that? Is if just for the ones needing the iLok license or any/all of them? Is the St Anne's exempt from doing that since it probably updates itself with the HW 7 upgrade?

Please a very basic explanation as I am not well versed in manipulating software.

Player10

smfrank

PostSun Mar 20, 2022 6:15 pm

player10 wrote:Now I understand I have to "Re-cach" all my sample sets. What is involved with doing that?

They will all recache the first time you load them.
You don't have to initiate anything.
Steve

mdyde

PostMon Mar 21, 2022 4:22 am

Hello Player10,

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear you managed to get v7 downloaded and installed.

To confirm Steve's reply (thanks, Steve) -- yes -- whenever you first load any given organ in v7 Hauptwerk will automatically regenerate its sample set cache behind the scenes (which will be a bit slower than normal loading). You don't need to do anything specific/additional -- just load your organs as normal whenever you want to use them.
Best regards, Martin.

player10

PostTue Mar 22, 2022 9:37 pm

Thank you Martin and Steve,

I am much relieved to learn I do not need to do ANYTHING and things will take care of themselves! Without that understanding and from the email Francois sent me, I thought I needed to re-download the CC Metz and did so. Then on loading it, I saw the initial "slow" first time only loading taking place to which you refer.

Now another "newbie" question. Does that mean the CC Metz is in my Mac twice taking up space or does it just overwrite itself and the first download is gone? I warned you that I know very little about this stuff.

Player10

smfrank

PostWed Mar 23, 2022 12:24 am

player10 wrote:Does that mean the CC Metz is in my Mac twice taking up space or does it just overwrite itself and the first download is gone?

Recaching overwrites the old cache.
Steve

mdyde

PostWed Mar 23, 2022 4:23 am

Thanks, Player10.

To confirm:

- There's no need for you to download or re-install any sample sets. (That would only be needed if you were upgrading from Hauptwerk v4 or earlier, whereas you're already using v5+.)

- When sample set caches get regenerated they don't take up any additional space (since they overwrite the previous caches automatically).
Best regards, Martin.

Romanos

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 12:37 pm

And am I correct in my understanding that if you need to free up some space in a pinch, you can initiate the process of rebuilding a cache file but then cancel it a few seconds in?

mdyde

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 12:55 pm

Hello James,

Yes -- you could technically do that, although it would waste a bit of space for the partly-complete caches.

Although not officially supported, you could instead use macOS Finder to delete some or all of the organ cache files directly, which would be in this directory (assuming default installation locations):

<your-OS-account-home-directory>/Hauptwerk/HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles/ConfigN-OrganCaches

(Just be careful not to delete/move the directory itself, etc.)

The OrganIDs can be found by looking in Hauptwerk's log ("Help | View activity log" and search for "INF:2157" messages).
Best regards, Martin.

Return to General discussion