It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:30 pm

Upgrading v4.2 Standard to v7 Advanced Perpetual

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Tonzter

Upgrading v4.2 Standard to v7 Advanced Perpetual

PostMon Apr 18, 2022 1:32 pm

On March 14, 2019, I ordered Hauptwerk Standard Edition and its associated dongle at a cost of $249 USD. The order number was HW20152. I had been using the Standard v4.2 since that time, until the program stopped booting about 4 months ago. After repeated attempts and various strategies failed to get the program and the few organs I was using to work,
I ignorantly removed the Program from my laptop, thinking a fresh download of HW was a solution. It was only then that I realized that MDA no longer uses the dongle system, nor offers a software equivalent to the former Standard Edition - it’s either a Lite version of v7, or an Advanced version, at a far greater cost! I’m actually ok with getting the Advanced perpetual, but it seems that upgrading from v4.2 requires the old Hauptwerk v4.2 to still be resident on my laptop. So, is there a way for me to obtain and install a download of v4.2 and then proceed with a proper upgrade to Advanced Perpetual, or, instead, do a fresh install of v7 Advanced, but, with proof of my ownership of v4.2, pay the upgrade price rather than the full perpetual price?

mnailor

Re: Upgrading v4.2 Standard to v7 Advanced Perpetual

PostMon Apr 18, 2022 1:47 pm

No previous HW 4 installation is required for the upgrade. You do need to have your HW 4 dongle to do the one-time license migration for your samplesets after installing HW 7. You may have to reinstall the HASP driver to make the old dongle work.

micdev

Site Admin

PostMon Apr 18, 2022 3:23 pm

Good afternoon Tonzter,

I just "pmed" you explaining how to contact me and the information needed.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

Tonzter

PostWed Apr 20, 2022 12:33 am

OK, I dove in and purchased the upgrade from 4.2.Standard to 7 Advanced Perpetual. I registered with iLok and got an account, which was necessary before purchasing. I have the 4.2 dongle installed on my USB buss, and so far downloaded the v7.0.0.136 installer, run it, and 3 TIMES had it fail just at the 99th percentile of completion with the following 2-line message from InstallAnywhere:
"Unable to execute the desired program.
Please get another copy of the installer and try again."

Prior to downloading each of the 3 times, I took down any security software, which I usually do when downloading/installing new programs from reliable sources. Is there something going on with my machine? I ask this since, ironically, the above message is the same one I was getting months ago when HW 4.2 ceased running. I am really missing playing my setup! ;>(

mdyde

PostWed Apr 20, 2022 4:46 am

Hello Tonzter,

I don't think I've heard of that specific error before, but please try [assuming that you're using a Windows PC, as opposed to a Mac]:

- Make sure all available Windows updates are installed. (Check for updates, apply any available, reboot, and repeat until there are no more.)

- Make sure that you're logged on to Windows with an account that has Windows administrator privileges (as the default Windows account does).

- Check that the Hauptwerk installer file you downloaded has exactly the same size in bytes as follows, by right-clicking on the file and selecting 'Properties': (If not, it didn't download properly, so please delete it, and try downloading it again.)

Windows:
InstallHauptwerk_v7.0.0.136.exe
MD5 checksum: f96fc0ad4f74392e594d528df4231dc2
(3,229,062,512 bytes)

- Please also verify that its MD5 checksum is exactly as above. E.g. to check a file's MD5 checksum you can use a freeware utility such as: https://www.winmd5.com/ . (Likewise, if the checksum isn't exactly as above then the installer file didn't download properly, so please delete it, and try downloading it again.)

If that doesn't solve it, an Internet search found the following suggestions for that particular error (which is an InstallAnywhere error message -- InstallAnywhere is a software installer platform used by Hauptwerk and other software):

- Disable your firewall and anti-virus software (and all security software) while you download the ... installer.
- Clear your web browser's cache.
- Try downloading using a different web browser.
- This error could also be due to a corrupt file associated with InstallAnywhere located in a Temp folder on the local machine. To correct the error, clear all files in the local Temp folders:

C:\Temp
C:\Windows\Temp
C:\WINNT\Temp
C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp
C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Temp

Does that solve it?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Tonzter

PostFri Apr 22, 2022 1:03 am

Thank you, Martin, for your numerous suggestions - a few of which I'm not sure were executed properly. My machine is up to date, and I am in Administrator status whenever operating it. The file I downloaded is precisely the correct size as you specified, however in the General section of Properties, while the size info about the file matches the number you supplied me, the size of the File on Disk shown is 2704 bytes LARGER; I'm curious about that. I did go ahead and clean up the temp files, as suggested. Checksums MATCHED. I am not sure how to defeat the numerous Windows Defender and Windows Security Smart Screen features temporarily during the downloading of the installer; also, whenever I start the Installer, Windows Smart Screen pops in to tell me it has blocked the app from running and asks if I would like to trust the file and run it anyway - could that be corrupting the running of an otherwise proper installer? And just for the record, I surely am pining for an organ to play! :>) BTW, is there a DVD ROM of the installer that the company could ship to me? (You don't ask, you don't get!)

mdyde

PostFri Apr 22, 2022 6:01 am

Thanks, Tonzter.

Tonzter wrote:The file I downloaded is precisely the correct size as you specified, however in the General section of Properties, while the size info about the file matches the number you supplied me, the size of the File on Disk shown is 2704 bytes LARGER; I'm curious about that. ... Checksums MATCHED

That's fine, and not a problem -- files sizes 'on disk' are usually a bit bigger than their true size because of the way operating systems' file systems work.

MDA doesn't send DVDs any more, I'm afraid, but since the size and MD5 checksum are correct then a DVD probably wouldn't help anyway (unless conceivably Smart Screen Windows is causing the problem as a result of the file having been downloaded).

One long-shot: does you Windows username have any characters in it other than A-Z/a-z/0-9? (Perhaps an unusual character is causing a problem in something.)
Best regards, Martin.

Tonzter

PostFri Apr 22, 2022 9:25 am

Hi Martin-
No, my Windows password is merely numbers and letters.
I’m wondering if I should go with the iLok dongle, get my computer off the internet altogether, and (after finding out how to do it, which I do not currently know :>) ) disable all Windows security features. I have an older laptop to use for emails, as well as my iPhone. The laptop I am using for Hauptwerk was originally Windows 7, which was upgraded to 10. I know Milan tests their work on modern machines (they’re probably probably already adapting to Windows 11!), and there may be a difference between the way a native Windows setup and an adapted one work. Any thoughts?

mdyde

PostFri Apr 22, 2022 9:32 am

Thanks, Tonzter.

Tonzter wrote:No, my Windows password is merely numbers and letters.

I was actually referring to your Windows account *username*, not its password.

Francois has sent an email to you and will work with you to try to get it working. (Perhaps something is corrupted on your PC, for example, especially given that you mentioned that you were having the same problem with Hauptwerk v4.) Hence I'll leave you to work with Francois on it.
Best regards, Martin.

Tonzter

PostFri Apr 22, 2022 1:11 pm

Thanks, Martin for your attention to this.

Return to General discussion