It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:43 am

Versions of HW and licensing

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

sarthurwest

Versions of HW and licensing

PostWed Apr 27, 2022 10:12 am

I have a question about licensing and using different versions of HW.

I am considering connecting our Allen MDS-60 to a computer and using HW in our church. As I understand the licensing paramaters of HW, this is possible if it is the same user of HW, only using 1 copy of HW at a time. Since I am the only organist at our church I will never be playing at church at the same time that I am practicing on my HW setup at home and consequently this would be allowable according to licensing terms.

My question is this: I am using HW4 at home and have the dongle security system in place with that. If I install HW on the computer that would be installed at the church it would be HW7 that would be installed on it. This system uses iLok which I have setup and have ready to be put to use when I upgrade to HW7 at home. Would it be possible to use these two systems, HW4 and dongle when I practice at home, and then go over to church to play a service and use HW7 and iLok? Or would it be that when I setup up HW7 at church and connect it to iLok that will invalidate any older version of HW4 and in order to use both systems in an either or manner they will both HAVE to be HW7?

mdyde

Re: Versions of HW and licensing

PostWed Apr 27, 2022 11:20 am

Hello Arthur,

Thanks very much for the interest in upgrading. If you were to upgrade your existing v4 licence to v7:

1. You would be able to install v7 on as many computers as you liked, and use any of them whenever you liked, except that you would only be able to have Hauptwerk (v7) actually running on one computer at any one instant (with the iLok dongle attached the that computer). Hence you could install v7 in your church and also at home, and move the iLok dongle (with your v7 licence stored in it) back and forth between the two computers. You would just need to exit Hauptwerk before moving the dongle, then launch it on the other computer.

2. You wouldn't be able to keep your v4 licence -- upgrading a v4 licence to v7 involves wiping the v4 dongle. However, since you could use v7 on both computers, there would be no advantage to keeping the v4 licence anyway.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

sarthurwest

PostWed Apr 27, 2022 11:50 am

Thanks for such a quick reply Martin, that is how I thought it works but I wanted to make sure.

Regards,
Arthur

mdyde

PostWed Apr 27, 2022 12:56 pm

Thanks again, Arthur.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to General discussion