It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 am

Frustrated.com

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Organorak

Re: Frustrated.com

PostThu Dec 29, 2022 7:46 pm

Martin might not like me for saying this (though I hope he takes it as a compliment!) Hauptwerk can be a faff to set up in the first place or when installing a new organ and "connecting" all the various console controls to the computer model. But you only need to do it once, and if you choose sample sets carefully you could get it all done in one go and never worry again. I am still running HW4 with no plans to upgrade unless or until I need a new PC. It's very stable, crashed probably once in over ten years of near daily use, and I have all the sample sets I really wanted. So nothing to tweak or upgrade. And if you can find someone to help (for instance the offer of taking control of your PC remotely to see what's going on) you may find the fix is staring you in the face and easily overcome. Alternatively if you indicate where in the UK you are based perhaps a kind individual could offer to help you out. I'm in Birmingham for starters if it's any good.

The second time I installed Hauptwerk it took me around 30 minutes from turning on laptop to playing the organ. A few Christmases ago the amplifier on the digital organ in my church died on the afternoon of our Nine Lessons and Carols. I ran home to pick up an old laptop, installed Hauptwerk with St Anne's Moseley built in and plugged it via USB to MIDI cable into the organ's MIDI out. 3.5mm audio out of the laptop into the church sound system, and allocated keys on the unused Choir manual as pistons to control the stops, with marked tape on the keys to remind me what they did. I broke every rule in the book as far as audio quality went (and probably Hauptwerk licensing too - though I have shared the story before on this forum!) but Hauptwerk saved our Christmas carol service. Among the comments afterwards were "why was the organ sounding so much better than usual tonight?"

It may be that for some people a simple "turnkey" solution of pressing a button and on comes a preset digital organ is best. But the realism of the sound quality, the variety of find instruments of varying periods of music and frankly the experience of playing simulations of some of the world's finest instruments in your living room are what really sets Hauptwerk apart from any off the shelf electronic organ. Here's me having fun on something I knocked together in my garden shed (and I'm no carpenter..)

https://youtu.be/XLExtAAjvuo

Antoni Scott

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 8:52 am

Flightcrew737:
In short, too complex, WAY too much tech knowledge required, and I simply don't have the time for it.

It's so unfortunate that Flightcrew737 has had this negative experience, but if it is of any consolation I have experienced similar frustrations over the years. For sure there is a certain level of computer technical knowledge that is required. Those individuaals that have this technical knowledge don't understand people , like myself, that don't have it. From my experience, most organists only want to sit down and play, not fiddle endlessly with the endless issues that crop up, which seem to multiply after every release of an upgrade.

The real problem is that there is no real help available. Correct me if I am wrong, but to my knowledge there are very few Hauptwerk "consultants", none in the USA, only one in Canada. Wouldn't it be nice if Hauptwerk had a 1-800 help desk phone number.

Apple, in Jacksonville Florida, wouldn't even look at my six year old "vintage" MacPro computer when the real problem just was a simple RAM module that went bad. But they sure were falling over themselves to sell me a new $12,000 "coffee pot" MacPro. Justifiably so, their poor business practice left a very bad taste in my mouth. You are on your own. Not a secure feeling.

After three-four months of Hauptwerk downtime (that's the part that hurt me the most), it was purely by accident, that a Forum member (not Hauptwerks help desk ) suggested I call a third party vendor. The salesperson asked what the problem was (the computer wouldn't even turn on) and suggested that it was either the power supply or a RAM module. His conversation with me lasted about 2-4 minutes. The problem turned out to be one of the eight RAM modules. I'm not computer savvy but I was able to fix the problem myself by replacing one RAM module. But I did learn a very important lesson from the debacle. I NEEDED A BACK-UP COMPUTER. Relying on help was all but impossible.

Fortunately I was able to get a back up 2008 MacPro eight core computer, less hard drives, less RAM for $850 from a very reputable company in California. It was an easy choice to make since the entire back-up computer cost far less that the individual parts. If something went bad, I could switch out computers in less than half an hour and I had the luxury to take as long as was required to fix the bad computer.

Only Martin Dyde , much to his credit, took the time out of his busy schedule to write out a detailed instruction sheet back in 2014 when I hesitated upgrading to Version 4.2. I was able to find a computer tech in Florida that was equally as knowledgeable with Macs ,as PC's ,and he was a musician, too. He, the same as every other computer tech, had never heard of Hauptwerk. I was very, very lucky to have found him, but as luck would have it he moved out of State the following year. I don't want to stake my Hauptwerk future on luck. I'm back to square one - zero help.

It's a problem for sure. I can understand Flightcrew 737's frustration. It would be unfortunate if he gave up, since as he said, Hauptwerk has no equal. I'm assumingFlightcrew 737 lives in Great Britain. Isn't there some consultant that he can contact in Great Britain.? Upgrading to Version VII was out of the question for me to do on my own., but forunately I was able to hire a consultant to do it for me. Which begs the next question. What would we do if the Hauptwerk consultant decided to retire ?
Wouldn't it be nice if Hauptwerk had a 1-800 help desk phone number.

KarlKlar

PostMon Apr 17, 2023 11:21 am

Dear Flightcrew737-frustrated: I don't know if you are still working on the matter at hand.
I hope your health issues are resolving. And your HW issues. I am very sympathetic to your situation.
I DIY'd my own crude set-up - 2m+ped - but I have modest experience in electronics, woodworking, & computing.
I would NOT advise you to take that route. It will increase your frustration. And delay resumption of your musical life.

I would recommend that you purchase a "made-for-Hauptwerk" console, and have a professional assist, to install the console AND the Hauptwerk software for you. IF...IF.., you were to find a WORKING console for sale, 2nd hand, this may be a possibility. But also, only WITH the help/advice of someone with Hauptwerk experience. Personally, I would avoid using a console from an older-vintage electronic organ (Allen, etc) and converting/outfitting it with MIDI to operate with computer and HW. Although many do this, and successfully; it can become complicated. (and HEAVY.)

If cost is an issue, start with 2manuals + pedals. Additional manuals can come later, if the console is of the modular type, i.e., expandable. Ditto, for swells, toe-studs, pistons, touchscreen, etc. Additions to hardware are not particularly difficult to install and configure, once you have a basic console. From one retiree, to another. "Father Time waits for no one."
But don't give up on Hauptwerk. Yes, it is complex. But IMHO, it is a quality product. Chas

Antoni Scott

PostWed Apr 19, 2023 6:39 am

Hauptwerk's download issues are far outweighed by the unprecedented realism upsides. Fortunately I know of one third party Hauptwerk consultant (unfortunately, only one) that is competent enough to assist in the complex migration/installation process. Fortunately, the Hauptwerk consultant's services offered can be performed remotely.
I'm sure there are third party vendors that offer "Hauptwerk Ready" plug and play computers. If the Hauptwerk customer elects to use digital keyboards (i.e. Fatar) and pedalboards, and touch sensitive monitors sitting on a minimalist console, rather than convert analog to digital repurposed consoles, the installation process via "daisey- chaining" is easy, even for a computer-challenged individuals.

Antoni
Previous

Return to General discussion