It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:25 am

Recording good sound for video

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

NickMelb

Recording good sound for video

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 2:52 am

Hi

I used to have HW5 (or was it 4?) back in 2019 and used it through a 1990s II/P Viscount Cantata I picked up second hand. I was asked to play in a recital and I needed to practice hard. It was the first time I had played in about 25 years (since my early twenties when I was attending an academy and competing in prize competitions).

I did some audio recordings using the HW audio recorder. But when I filmed myself playing with my iPhone and then used iMovie to combine the HW-produced soundtrack and the video, I noticed that one of the them was slightly faster than the other - so I couldn't combine them. I thought - how could that be possible? But it seemed to be an insurmountable problem.

I then had to sell my organ for other reasons and went without for a year or so. I've now gotten myself a new Content Celeste 340 (III/P) and HW7 and am about to embark on the same project - combining a HW-generated audio track and my iPhone video to make a movie with proper sound.

Is there any point, and am I misunderstanding something fundamental here?

larason2

Re: Recording good sound for video

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 5:22 pm

The simplest way is to do it as they used to in the old movies. On your organ, play a high note on a rank that has quick speech on the manuals at the same time as you do a visual cue on the video at the start, then use this to synchronize them. You can also turn on your speakers and record the audio on your camera, then use this to align the music as well, using two audio tracks. When they’re aligned, you can mute the camera’s audio. If your video editor doesn’t have the facilities to manually synch the audio, you can use an editor like After Effects with more facilities for adjusting the relative position. Complete the video/recording in one take if possible, and that will help simplify your task.

ajongbloed

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 12:36 am

For a while now I use an IPhone as well for the videos I create (shameless self-promotion: https://www.youtube.com/c/PartituraOrganum). In the beginning I had the same problem, the video was slightly slower than the sound recording. As I use Vegas as a video editor, that allows you to edit sound independent from video, I could slow down the music a bit and make them match again.
The problem was that the videosettings of the IPhone and my project settings in Vegas were slightly off. The frame rate of the IPhone is 29.97 frames per second and my project settings were 30 frames per second. Or the other way around, I forgot the exact details. Matching the project settings' frame rate to the IPhone's solved the problem for me.

It's a bit odd you experience this problem with IMovie. I would expect Apple to make sure IPhone and IMovie work along correct right out of the box.

ldeutsch

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 10:36 am

I can't speak for iMovie, but this all works completely correctly in Final Cut Pro. In addition, Final Cut Pro has a bulk synchronization utility that allows you to take audio recorded directly from your computer (via Hauptwerk) and align it with multiple camera angles created using iPhones. When recording each video have your computer play back the audio so it is, in turn, recorded on each iPhone. This audio track allows Final Cut Pro to synchronize all the videos very nicely.

This makes organ videos with multiple camera angles rather easy. After doing this once in Final Cut Pro, I have Neve reopened iMovie again.

Les

NickMelb

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 3:48 pm

Thanks all for your replies.

Since posting this I've tried a few test videos and the problem didn't arise for some reason. I found that pinpointing the correct moment for the first organ sound with as much precision as possible (magnifying the audio and video tracks to zoom in at really small scales) just did the trick. Maybe the issue I encountered two years ago has been fixed or there's some piece of equipment I'm using that's different.

Anyway - I've used Final Cut Pro before so I have a vague memory of how it can be used. I might give that a try when my pieces are ready to record.

Return to General discussion