It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:23 pm

Recording position of samples

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

münsterorganist

Recording position of samples

PostThu Jul 14, 2022 4:36 am

Exitation:Instead of recording more and more distances to the Organ, which in one cannot realize in the living room, I suggest limiting this to a front position and second in a postion in which a good CD recording is realize.And instead, at the request of many organists add a recording directly from the console position. It may also increase the acceptance of critical organists. Thanks.

sesquialtera

Re: Recording position of samples

PostThu Jul 14, 2022 6:17 am

A recording position from outside the church could be interesting !
I love this feeling, when I walk to a church I want to visit, and suddenly I can hear the organ in the distance.
The music is then naturally mixed with birds, wind and cars passing by...
I like this sound atmosphere. Making that possible in Hauptwerk could be more realistic and really great.
Regards,

münsterorganist

PostThu Jul 14, 2022 7:47 am

Please, serious comments welcome! For clarification: a stereo microphone at the organist's head height, this was the suggestion.

tf11972

PostThu Jul 14, 2022 12:51 pm

I don‘t do that and I will not do that.

Ambient noises from tracker, bench etc. are extremely rising and there is a higher amount of post-processing necessary. Further the samples are getting very dry and don‘t mix properly with the other channels. And you have ping-pong stereo which also doesn‘t sound good.
I have made good experience with placing the front mics so far away from the facade as it is wide. The sound is clear and spatial.
Last edited by tf11972 on Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards
Thomas

Forestpipes - Virtual Pipe Organs
https://forestpipes.de

vpo-organist

PostThu Jul 14, 2022 2:52 pm

I consider the recording at the console useful only for those who also play on the original instrument.
For most people this position is not useful, because the sound at the console is usually not so optimal. 4 to 6 channels are already very good (but not for the loading times).

GLMounk

PostThu Jul 14, 2022 3:11 pm

The person in charge of voicing an organ never sits at the console, they are located deeper into the sanctuary. So to me it makes little sense to record an organ from the console. Every time I have gone to various churches with my friends I always preferred sitting in what I felt was the optimum location in the sanctuary while they were playing. I am skeptical an organ sampler would be willing to put in all the extra hours required to get that affect.

Return to General discussion