It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:09 am

I have retired from my day gig

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

ldeutsch

I have retired from my day gig

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 12:38 pm

I am announcing my retirement from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) as of last Thursday. I had worked there for 42 years, mostly in the field of deep space communications. For the last decade or so I was also a member of the JPL Executive Council, essentially the staff to the Director. I came to JPL in 1980 when I received my PhD in mathematics form Caltech and after having worked for my father, Ralph Deutsch, on some of the first commercial digital organs and synthesizers.

It has been a great career with opportunities to see the world and work with space agencies in many other countries. Whenever I would travel, I would seek out local organs of interest and I have been fortunate to have played many of these over the years and even give a concert or two.

I am retaining my appointment as organist at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) which runs JPL for NASA.

I am telling all my friends that I am now a full-time musician for the first time since I was an undergraduate. In fact, I have taken over leadership of the Night Blooming Jazzmen, a professional Dixieland band in which I have played piano since 2011. I am now playing cornet in the band as it is much easier to lead from the front line! You can v is it our website here:

http://www.nightbloomingjazzmen.com/index.htm

I intend to do more composing and arranging too.

I will be looking for new music-oriented projects now, so if any of you have some ideas, please let me know. I have done quite a bit of CODM work and have my own software library to work with pipe voicing. I also have a very good understanding of the mathematics that underlies all of this.

Thanks.

Les

mnailor

Re: I have retired from my day gig

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 1:04 pm

Congratulations! Retirement can turn out to be a busy career.

larason2

Re: I have retired from my day gig

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 1:08 pm

Yes, Congratulations!

Return to General discussion