It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 am

Dell / Haupt 7 POP

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

englala1955

Dell / Haupt 7 POP

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 6:15 pm

I have installed a brand new Dell computer and the latest Hauptwerk 7 edition. I am picking up a "static pop" frequently. The technician who installed it for me seems to think that it is a result of background processes at work in the Dell. I have disconnected the Dell from the Internet and, then, turned off Windows Defender. Still, the frequent "static pop" occurs.

Does anyone have an idea or a procedure that can help us?

Many, many thanks....

mnailor

Re: Dell / Haupt 7 POP

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 6:48 pm

Pages 293 through 310 of the Hauptwerk 7.0 Installation and User Guide, especially the list of Windows tuning items near the end of the chapter.

mdyde

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 4:48 am

Hello englala1955,

[Topic moved here.]

Yes -- to add to Mark's reply, please first try working through the steps in that section ("Performance tuning | Other operating system and computer optimizations and diagnostics" which starts on page 308). For example:

- Make sure that all available motherboard BIOS updates are applied.

- Make sure that all available Windows updates are applied.

- Make sure all available firmware and driver updates for hardware devices are applied, and especially so for audio/MIDI interfaces, the graphics card, and the motherboard. Check on their manufacturers' websites if needed.

- Make sure that all Windows power saving options are disabled, and especially the option relating to putting USB devices to sleep.

- Make sure that Windows drive indexing is disabled for all drives.

- Make sure Windows Superfetch/sysmain is disabled.

- Make sure no other unnecessary applications or processes are running in the background.

- Try running LatencyMon ( https://resplendence.com/latencymon ) when Hauptwerk is running, and see if it reports any problems when the glitches occur.

- In Hauptwerk, on the 'General settings | Audio device and channels' screen in Hauptwerk, make sure that the manufacturer-supplied ASIO driver is selected (as opposed to a DirectSound driver, or a third-party driver). Also set the number of buffers to 1 and the buffer size set to at least 512 and the sample rate to 48 kHz (all of which should be 'safe' values).

- Make sure you aren't over-filling the PC's RAM. As a test, see whether the problem occurs with small sample sets, such as St. Anne's.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

MeOulSegosha

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 10:36 am

I got a new Dell for Hauptwerk use late last year and certainly have had some annoying little issues like this. As suggested, work through the performance tuning ideas and see how you get on. I think the biggest improvement for me came from ensuring Hauptwerk is running with real-time priority. Incidence of crackles and other gremlins reduced significantly after that change.

Most other problems I've had came from asking too much of the latency. As a long-term small responsive tracker player I wanted latency as low as possible, but adjusting too far caused all kinds of problems. I'm at about 15ms now and things are much more stable.

Return to Technical support