It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:50 am

Reconsider HW business model????

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Coenraads

Reconsider HW business model????

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 7:30 pm

A lively discussion has ensued on the Organ Forum concerning users who are unhappy with HW's business model.

https://organforum.com/forums/forum/org ... ne-too-far

Here is my contribution to the discussion which someone suggested Martin might like to read. I have nothing but admiration for the achievement that is HW and wish it a long and successful future.

When I buy a sample set, such as "Jeux d'Orgues," for my iPad, it comes bundled with the program to run that specific organ. From the user perspective it appears that the program is free. Since then, I have bought four more sample sets, knowing full well that each time some of the money goes towards the development of the software. HW might benefit from a similar model.

Imagine for a moment that each sample set one purchases comes bundled with a "free" version of HW specifically configured and optimized to run that, and only that, sample set. Then each time a sample set is sold, let's say 25% goes to HW for further development and support. Yes, this will make sample sets more expensive but it is only fair that sample set makers contribute to the continuation of HW. After all, without HW there would be no market for their sample sets. In effect, the license for using HW would go to the sample set creators and not to the final user. This would make HW licenses much simpler to monitor and administer, and the user is relieved of the headaches that go along with licensing. Also the user would always get the latest version of HW with each sample set purchased.

With the existing model, I only paid for HW once. I'm running version 4 and will continue to use it until I see a good reason to upgrade. In the meantime, I have acquired more than a dozen sample sets. If 25% of the cost of each sample set had gone to HW, I would probably have paid for it a couple of times over.

Also, while most users purchase HW only once, possibly with the occasional upgrade, sample sets are addictive and buying them under this model would generate a continuous flow of income for HW. This model might also entice more new users to try HW because now they can start with a small, relatively inexpensive sample set without having to worry about investing immediately in the latest version of HW. With this "stealth mode" HW would probably make more money in the long run and not aggravate the user with continual updates and talk of subscriptions.

mdyde

Re: Reconsider HW business model????

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 2:52 pm

Hello Coenraads,

Thanks very much for the suggestion. We do fully appreciate that there's a natural psychological tendency to prefer buying entirely new and exciting things (such as sample sets) over paying to upgrade something (which one feels one has already bought).

Any software needs continual development, if only simply to remain compatible with, and to perform well on, newer computer hardware, operating systems, audio/MIDI hardware/drivers, etc. Also, a single 'functionally complete' and perfect version could never really exist; there are always a great many more things that people (including us) would very much like it to do (and that become possible as newer and faster hardware comes into existence), and one can't do everything at once. Any computer software that isn't updated fairly regularly inevitably becomes obsolete in a small number of years, as technology changes around it.

I don't think it would be logistically viable to develop, maintain, and support separate/parallel versions of Hauptwerk for different sample sets.

However, some software samplers, such as Native Instruments' Kontakt, can run in a restricted 'player' mode if a licence for a 'player-licensed' sample set (for which the sample set producer has paid towards the development, maintenance and support of the sampler software) is present, but no licence for the sampler software itself. If, on the other hand, a licence *is* present for the sampler software then it runs in normal/full/unrestricted licensed mode. Licensed (but not player-licensed) sample sets would only run if the user had a normal/full licence for the sampler software (as well as for the relevant sample set). The disadvantage of such player-licensed sample sets is that they would potentially need to cost more, which I think a significant proportion of users (especially those who use lots of sample sets and/or want the full sampler software functionality) may prefer to avoid. If a sample set producer offers both options (player-licensed, and normally-licensed) at different prices then it rather negates the perception of the player software being bundled 'free'.

Anyway, I'll pass your thoughts, in case a similar licensing option is something that MDA wants to consider at some future point.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Coenraads

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 7:17 pm

Thank you Martin for taking the time to write such a thoughtful response. Of course things aren't as simple as a HW user like me would like. But all efforts to simplify the HW environment would be appreciated.
John

Erzahler

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 8:23 pm

I have more or less decided to stick with the samples I have so if software payment was included in a sample the software developer would be getting no more income from me although I still use the enabling software.

mdyde

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 5:23 am

Thanks, John.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to General discussion