It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:53 am

Bovenkerk Hinsz VPOs

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

IainStinson

Bovenkerk Hinsz VPOs

PostSat Mar 25, 2023 5:09 am

Bovenkerk Hinsz VPOs
A sample set for the Hinsz organ in the Bovenkerk in Kampen has been available for HW for quite a long time (MDA sample set). Within the last couple of weeks, this organ has been released for the Johannus Live and is scheduled for release by another commercial virtual pipe organ sampler in the first part of the year.

The MDA sample set is stereo with the full acoustic of the church, the other two add the reverberation when playing the sample set to allow the player to vary the listening position.

It would be very interesting to hear and try the three incarnations of the organ and compare the different approaches taken by the sampler and the underlying vpo platform.

Perhaps MDA might consider promoting their sample set a little more in the wake of these other offerings?

Iain

larason2

Re: Bovenkerk Hinsz VPOs

PostSat Mar 25, 2023 2:58 pm

I own the Hinsz for Hauptwerk. It is a fine organ, but I rarely play it. For Baroque works, I prefer smaller organs because the ones I have seem to have more character, and it's really not suitable for Romantic works. The plenum has great gravitas on the Hauptwerk though, and even though it repeats the same stops on each division, each stop has its own character. You also really get the impression of a true ruckpositiv, which is rather direct, contrasted against the other divisions. The "romantic" additions that were preserved in the latest rebuild are rather useless. I also can't get used to the "dutch" way of organizing stops, even though they love it. So overall, even though it is a famous dutch organ, it doesn't make for the best sample set. For years I salivated over it though when I couldn't afford it, and listened to the samples on MDA's page over and over. So it has a lot of nostalgia for me!

As for the Johannus Live and the nameless competing sampler program, owners of a Johannus system aren't really the same market as Hauptwerk, and it can take months to get a new organ installed. As for the nameless sampler program, I did an extensive review of it for another forum, and at the time, all of the organs available for it sort of sounded the same. It's clear both of these are focused on the hardware organ experience in which a certain smoothness is expected. For me though, it's devoid of character.

Hauptwerk has more and more become about the hobbyist who's strapped together an organ console out of various spare parts, and those who want the ultimate in fidelity to a real organ. The so called competition seem to think they're competing, but if so they're doing it all wrong. All these extra organs are just marketing ploys with little substance. As for what more Hauptwerk/MDA has to do, I don't think spending money resampling organs or marketing is going to make them any more money. As it is, they have stopped selling subscriptions for many months. Maybe they are going to transition to a "subscribe to own" model someday! Hauptwerk is a mature program, and most of the organs currently available are in a fairly mature state of technology. I too wish that some of MDA's organs could be resampled! But I'd still probably play the same ones I have now. I'm not convinced the multi channel sets are the improvement they're thought to be. So I understand why MDA/Hauptwerk is doing what it's doing. There's not much else for them to do!

Return to General discussion