It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 pm

Billerbeck Domorgel - Tuba

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

javawizard

Billerbeck Domorgel - Tuba

PostWed May 06, 2020 4:52 am

I've been playing around with SP's wonderful new Billerbeck sample set and discovered an intriguing combination: all of the 8' stops in the Chamaden division together seem to make a passable substitute for a tuba.

Here's a submission (my first!) to ContreBombarde to demonstrate: https://www.contrebombarde.com/concerth ... usic/39081

It's not perfect, of course, but I'm reminded of Jiri's words on the Rotterdam Hoofdorgel sample set:

First, I was puzzled by the absense of the French Oboe and I had even thought of adding one virtually, but then, listening to the CDs recorded at the Rotterdam organ by Mr. Hayo Boerema organist-titulaire, convinced me that such an addition is not needed. The swell trumpet with a nasard can be used as a convincing substitute.

This combination of stops on the Billerbeck Domorgel strikes me in the same light.

What do you think?

CarsonCooman

Re: Billerbeck Domorgel - Tuba

PostThu May 07, 2020 8:33 am

The composite does make a "reed" sound that is large enough to solo over a plenum, though of course it definitely doesn't have the timbre and harmonic color of an English tuba.

But of course organists all the time must play tuba tune-type pieces on organs that don't have a true English tuba, so what you're doing is certainly in that spirit.

Return to Performance practice