It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:47 pm

Questions about pedalboards and setup

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

FrankFrontera

Questions about pedalboards and setup

PostWed May 13, 2020 1:30 pm

Hey everyone,

I have recently purchased Hauptwerk and am very happy with it. I have been looking into midi pedalboards for some time to begin practicing, and was looking for some guidance about the types and sizes of pedalboards needed for various styles. Bear with me a little bit as my questions are very much from a newbie standpoint. If any terminology needs correcting, please do so.

My main questions are:
-> Is a 32 key pedalboard needed to play all the pedalboard repertoire? What is a 32 key pedalboard mainly used for?
-> Could a 25 key suffice for most purposes? Or 17?
-> What are some good resources to look into to understand this more?

My main interest is learning baroque repertoire, and am aware that it is a considerable investment to get the right pedalboard and desk setup. I want make a budget-conscious approach to this to understand exactly what I need to invest to get things started accordingly.

Any input is appreciated.

Purator

Re: Questions about pedalboards and setup

PostWed May 13, 2020 3:17 pm

Hello,

when the first legendary Hammond Organs were produced in 1935, they featured a pedalboard with 25 keys. Two years later Hammond offered a concert model with a 32-key pedalboard because 25 keys were not sufficient enough.

To play Bach, 25 pedals are not enough, you need at least d' for that. So, obviously, 17 are also not enough.

I have a pedalboard with 30 keys and have not missed f#' and g', however I am sure there is literature that requests it. To be as flexible as possible, I highly recommend having a pedalboard with at least 30 keys.

For a deeper understanding what you need I recommend you take a look at the disposition of organs from the baroque, so the organs you would play baroque repertoire on. Most organs from that time have pedals to c' or d', often without C# or D#.

Kind Regards,
Rico

profeluisegarcia

PostWed May 13, 2020 4:23 pm

Hello¡
To play -let´s say- the 99.8% percent of organ literature -chorals included with cantus firmus in the pedal- it is enough to have a 30 notes pedalboard. If you just feel confortable following AGO instructions, get one with 32 notes; and if you expect to play like Cameron Carpenter you should extended it to 34 notes or more¡

Luis

RichardW

PostWed May 13, 2020 4:27 pm

Another thought:

Although I have no pieces of music that require the top two keys of a 32-note pedal board, I do use those keys quite a lot. I have them connected to the Hauptwerk buttons that control the stepper. So I can just hit top F# and change the registration.

Plan B would be to save up for some toe studs or pistons, of course. It depends on your budget. Mine is small. :(
Richard

FrankFrontera

PostWed May 13, 2020 5:32 pm

Ok so definitely 30/32 keys for sure. I will have to get acquainted with baroque organ dispositions, and learn some more about the setup before making some moves. Some stuff to think about. Thanks everyone!

magnaton

PostWed May 13, 2020 5:40 pm

FrankFrontera wrote:
My main questions are:
-> Is a 32 key pedalboard needed to play all the pedalboard repertoire? What is a 32 key pedalboard mainly used for?

How about a nice Bach transcription as shown here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4XeClV_NCQ

This has become somewhat popular having seen & heard this in person by two different organist.
(Thank you Cameron Carpenter).

Danny B.

larason2

PostWed May 13, 2020 10:56 pm

I agree with most of what has been said. I had a 20 note pedalboard for some time, and while I could play most pieces, I found I would have to move many of the higher notes lower and vice versa. I currently have a 25 key pedalboard, which is much better, but I still miss the upper 5 keys from time to time. Definitely better to go with more keys than less to play the repertoire as written.

johnstump_organist

PostFri May 15, 2020 10:50 am

For baroque 27 souls be enough. 30will more than for almost everything. I know of one piece in my repertoire that calls for the high g (Durufle third variation on Veni Creator and he provides a work around right in the score for 30 notes.). The main consideration I would think, if you're just starting out on the organ, would be, if you ever plan to play any where else besides home, having some sort of standard layout to other organs where you live. A.G.O for USA,Britain, Bdo for Europe or flat and straight if you plan to play on historic organs. Also, watch the relationship of the pedal keys to the manual keys so you have a more or less standard relationship. Otherwise, moving from organ can desconcerting. You search online for standard console measurements to start getting an idea.
John

FrankFrontera

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 9:34 pm

Thank you John! Yup, 27 is just the right amount for baroque, reading from you and other research. Thank you all for your insight - it has proven very helpful! I have committed to a 27 straight pedal from pedamidikit.org
It is unmounted and unpainted to save on main cost and shipping.
A very price-effective option, compared to what is available here in North America. I did not find any 27 keys (especially midi) that are actually made here. Nord, Viscount, and pedamidikit are all European. midiworks was an option but I realized the 32 was too big for my current setup as I progressed in my search (and it was more expensive).

Looking forward to building this pedalboard upon arrival :D

johnstump_organist

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 10:30 am

Let us know what you think of it when you get it done. I have looked at them for the possibility of a second flat board for practice purposes when I know I'm going to play somewhere that has a flat board.
John

FrankFrontera

PostMon Jul 20, 2020 9:02 pm

Hello everyone,

So here it is. It is the pedamidikit - STS-27 model. 46 inches wide. It is fully functional - it took a few hours to build, but was not difficult at all.

The color of the frame is a solid brown mixed with black - along with the applied foot-rest built by the local carpenter who built the bench. The #/b keys are pure black.The rest were left as is. I also applied a few coats of oil-based gloss to the pedalboard; I wanted the golden touch (same as the bench).

I ordered some Organ Master Shoes that fit perfectly. I have had a few practices so far, and it was challenging getting the right distance between bench/pedalboard/manuals location, but I think I've found a sweet spot. The 'manual' set-up is a bit unorthodox, and incomplete above, so it is not in the picture. And I am not sure about adding to the unit underneath desk with the other controls just yet. I will of course add more to the set-up over time.

At the least, my pedalboard practice has finally begun.

https://www.pedamidikit.org/pmksts27.html
https://www.organmastershoes.com/

Update: I have moved the footrest about two inches back from where it is in current image.. to allow more room (like when passing under other foot).

Return to Performance practice