It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:28 am

Hard Copy of Registration

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

TomBentley

Hard Copy of Registration

PostMon Jul 27, 2020 10:16 am

Good morning. I am wondering if I have a midi file, can I load that file into the appropriate organ, and get a print out of the registrations used with that piece of music just to keep as a hard copy should i mess up and lose the store sequences in the future?

In other words, I guess a printout of what is going on on the screen as the piece plays.

Any suggests would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

micdev

Site Admin

Re: Hard Copy of Registration

PostMon Jul 27, 2020 1:12 pm

Hello Tom,

Registration are embedded into the midi file. While it is possible to get a printout of a registration file (once loaded in Hauptwerk go to Registrations \Export/View...) a MIDI file will send the needed MIDI messages as CC (control change) during the playback.

Here is the MIDI messages transmitted when pressing the Great piston #3 on St-Anne (with its default registration file loaded)
midi1.jpg
Principal 4 - Open Diapason 8 small - Swell to Great - Swell octave to Great

So not really easy to understand :wink:
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

1961TC4ME

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 2:46 pm

TomBentley wrote:
In other words, I guess a printout of what is going on on the screen as the piece plays.

Any suggests would be appreciated.

Tom

For your purposes would a screen shot of what's going on on the screen prove useful? I use this method once in awhile to save a copy of certain registrations of a given organ (in case I lose it) by hitting the 'print screen' button on my computer key board of the screen I want to save. Then if you have the 'Paint' program as an example installed on your computer, just open it and simply hold the control and V keys at the same time to place the screen shot you just saved into Paint. You can then either print out what you have, or save the screen shot in a folder on your computer for future reference if needed.

Marc

TomBentley

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 4:30 pm

I have tried that, but it really eats up the old ink cartridges!!!! Guess the old pen and ink is the best method if you are frugal at least.

Tom

organtechnology

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 11:16 am

Try making a Monochrome B/W version of the stop jambs or tab fields.
Then print out the paper and mark it with a highlighter pen or marker to indicate the active stops in a registration.

One page = one registration, piston or toe stud. Then you can write all the information on the back. Requires a set for each sample set.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

engrssc

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 7:38 am

Of course you can just save the Print Screen pages for reference without actually printing (all of) them.

Rgds,
Ed

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 8:38 am

Tom,

If you have the console view on your screen while you are playing back a recording I believe there is software that would allow you to take a screenshot each time the registration changes. It is a bit of a kludge, but probably easier than trying to decode MIDI messages.

Julian

damuehlbauer

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 5:11 pm

This might be a 'cludgy' approach, but you could pause the midi playback when the registration changes and save it to a general or divisional combination, as appropriate.. Then resume the recording, and repeat the process. Then you can output the registration to a file. I did that with a midi recording on my organ and it worked. Effectiveness depends on how many times the registration changes, and you have to keep track of which combination(s) you've used.

Just a thought...
David Muehlbauer
Mesa, Arizona USA

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 5:41 pm

If you are going to do that, I would have thought that you might as well save it to the stepper, which has more steps than you are ever going to need in a single recording.

damuehlbauer

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 4:52 pm

Stepper would seem to be a good idea as well. I don't use that, so it hadn't occurred to me.
David Muehlbauer
Mesa, Arizona USA

Return to Performance practice