It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 am

Page turning software for PC

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

peterorg

Page turning software for PC

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 12:22 pm

I have been looking for Windows based software for page turning. So far, I have only found anything that is iPad or Mac based. I don’t have a Mac and an iPad wold be too small (for me anyway) to display and read a page or two of organ music. Although I have an iPad, I don’t intend getting a Mac.
The other issue is, having obtained suitable Windows software, how are the pages turned? I know there are page turning pedals available but these would seem suitable only for keyboard use, not for an organ where the feet are otherwise occupied.
I’m sure there are Hauptwerk users out there who have found solutions and it would be great to hear from you. I have searched around the forum but haven’t come across anything that has proved useful, though I may well have missed suitable posts.
Many thanks,
Peter

rayjcar

Re: Page turning software for PC

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 12:42 pm

I am using Music Reader on a Microsoft Surface Book 3, which has a detachable screen.

https://www.musicreader.net/en/

You can download a free trial. It will easily accept .pdf files. It has many options for displaying (single page, two pages, etc).
The actual triggering is done via a bluetooth or USB-interfaced switch, of which there are a plethora available on Amazon. Some have provision for plugging in an external switch closure. You could, for example, install a sostenuto kick switch from Arndt Organ on a swell pedal, and activate it hands-free that way.

Ray

smfrank

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 12:59 pm

MusicReader can also turn pages based on midi triggers. That’s what I use. However, version 4 read pdfs directly, the new version you have to convert. I hated that process, so continue with the older version.
Steve
Steven Frank

peterorg

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 2:18 am

Ray and Steve,
Very many thanks for your reply. I have downloaded the trial version of MusicReader and have to say I am very impressed. I have set up some midi triggers but also ordered a Bluetooth device to try out as well.
Thank you so much for pointing me in this direction.
Peter

Purator

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 11:11 am

Hello,

on my Surface Book 2 I am using MobileSheets together with a Pageflip FireFly.

If I have the space at the organ I usually put the Pageflip to the left or to the right of the manuals. I have to use my hands, but can do so very quickly because I only have to hit a large button instead of carefully turning pages. On other occasions I just gave the Pageflip to my assistant and she sat at one of the benches where the audience sits.

Rico

voet

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 2:27 pm

I also use Mobile Sheets on Boox Note 3 E-reader. I have an iRig that I have attached by the pedal board. I can swipe pages by hand, but I usually turn pages by hitting the appropriate iRig switch with my foot. It uses a Bluetooth signal.

If I ever get a new console, I would like to see if I could get two Bluetooth toe pistons.

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 7:32 pm

I have tried Air Turn and Mobile Sheets. Of the two I found Mobile Sheets more stable and easier to use.

I configured a toe piston to trigger it via MIDI. The software lets you set up various actions that can be triggered by MIDI such as page forward, page back, go back to beginning etc.

I haven't got round to setting it up for my current Hauptwerk PC, but I used it a lot on my previous set-up last year (running under Windows 10), and it worked well for me.

voet

PostSat Jul 31, 2021 2:50 pm

Julian wrote: "I configured a toe piston to trigger it via MIDI."

I would be interested in learning more about this. Are you able to have a toe stud or piston communicate with your E-reader? How do you get the MIDI signal to the E-reader, or does it have to be hard wired? The thing I like about Blue Tooth is that it does not require a wired connection to the E-reader.

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 3:50 am

The e-reader was software on my HW computer so it used the same MIDI interface. I have a touchscreen monitor mounted on a hinged arm (a bit like an anglepoise lamp) so that I can bring it down in front of the music desk. When I am using printed music I swing it upwards and use it to control the stops. Unfortunately with this system I can't see the stops and the sheet music on the screen simultaneously, but usually when stops changes are required I have already set up the stepper or pistons.

abaymajr

PostTue Aug 24, 2021 4:04 pm

peterorg wrote:I have been looking for Windows based software for page turning. So far, I have only found anything that is iPad or Mac based. I don’t have a Mac and an iPad wold be too small (for me anyway) to display and read a page or two of organ music. Although I have an iPad, I don’t intend getting a Mac.
The other issue is, having obtained suitable Windows software, how are the pages turned? I know there are page turning pedals available but these would seem suitable only for keyboard use, not for an organ where the feet are otherwise occupied.
I’m sure there are Hauptwerk users out there who have found solutions and it would be great to hear from you. I have searched around the forum but haven’t come across anything that has proved useful, though I may well have missed suitable posts.
Many thanks,
Peter

For five years I have been successfully using motion detection software called Webcam Zone Trigger (https://www.zonetrigger.com/). I simply program one or two spot zones in the image where, if there is movement (for example, my head passing), the software issues a given keytroke (Left or Right key for example). Obviously, this zone should be far enough so it is not accidentally triggered while still reachable, and the someone cannot move as freely as some organists do. I save two presets, one for landscape screen orientation, another for portrait one, and load one of them conveniently. At first, the solution seemed too risky and failing. But soon after, getting used to the point of detection, it almost always works satisfactorily. Last year, I also tested some facial recognition software for impaired/disabled people, but none of them had the results I expected. The most promising, however, being paid and expensive, I couldn't test it.

I use this software on a 15.6" active-pen display PC notebook. This is the best, less expensive and portable solution for annotation before double iPad or big canvas digitizer.

peterorg

PostWed Aug 25, 2021 3:57 am

Hi abaymajr,

Many thanks for the information. I have downloaded a free trial of that software and will try it out.

Kind regards,

Peter

Organorak

PostSat Sep 04, 2021 5:36 pm

I have a three screen VPO based on Windows 7. Stop jambs are touchscreens but the centre screen is a 26 inch non touchscreen monitor that I use as a digital music desk. I display all my music as pdfs (mostly downloaded from imslp) and use Foxit pdf Reader. It's free, easily annotated and can be customised to open to a fullscreen two page spread.

I have configured a forward and back thumb pistons and forward and reverse toe pistons via MIDI to turn pages. They will only turn the page however if the music reader software is "in focus"; whenever I interact with Hauptwerk through a stop change or piston change etc it brings Hauptwerk back into focus so any program that relies on a USB signal or equivalent isn't going to work after your first stop change.

Therefore my pistons are connected to my MIDI system and send a MIDI signal to the PC. This is intercepted by Bome's MIDI translator (freeware) which converts the piston's MIDI signal into a sequence of keystrokes (e.g. pageturn).
This in turn is recognised by an Autohotkey script that on receiving that particular keystroke brings the Foxit pdf document into focus then turns the page. Next time I interact with Hauptwerk via the touchscreens that goes straight back into focus.

I have Bome and the AHK exe files running all the time from startup.

I usually turn pages 2 at a time but a double spread is great for learning pieces with difficult passages at the page turn since if you make a version of your document in which you double each page you can configure such that each page turn moves one page over at a time, so the right facing page moves to the left and the page over moves to the right side of the screen. I rarely if ever use paper sheet music any more.

Very simple to configure (message me if you want to see the scripts) and all completely free.

Return to Performance practice