It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:07 am

Care to share your Registrations

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

fchazz

Care to share your Registrations

PostThu Nov 11, 2021 6:09 am

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone would be up for sharing their Registrations on the forum?

mdyde

Re: Care to share your Registrations

PostThu Nov 11, 2021 6:50 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

larason2

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 8:31 am

Hi fchazz,

I’m sure many of us would be happy too, but I’m just wondering what you’re looking for. Is there a certain sample set you have, or particular pieces you need help registering?

fchazz

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 2:26 pm

The POW 341 and the POW 450 :D

larason2

PostSat Nov 13, 2021 12:47 am

I like the theatre organ sound, but I’ve only ever played around with the POW free version (210). I also transformed it using the CODM into a classical disposition including custom mixtures, which was really interesting!

For what it’s worth, the diaphonic diapason is a quite useful rank, and can serve as the foundation for a lot of good sounds. The Tuba horn is dull and has a lot of lower frequency sound, and the english horn is bright and reedy, and used together they form a nice and unique reed sound. The tibia clausa is loud and has a good basic flute sound that adds oomph to the diapason or helps fill out other stops. For instance the classic Vox humana 8 and Tibia 4 combination. For any reed voice, you can add the 8 and 4 foot tibia to give it more colour and broaden it out a bit. For instance orchestral oboe or clarinet. The gamba with or without its celeste is a lovely stop, and you can give it more power by drawing it with its upper and lower footages. You can also add the tibias at the same footages to give it more of a solo voice. The concert flute is nice, but a bit thin, so it can either be used as a soft stop alone or with the gamba, or bolstered up a bit with the tibias.

Of course, the 450 has a lot more stops, but you may find that similar trends apply. solo reeds best with tibia support, sometimes combined for a better effect, strings alone/ celested with or without tibia support. Flutes alone or bolstered with the tibia. Diapason for a basic sound, potentially also bolstered with the tibia. For a very full sound, diapason and tibia chorus crowned with multiple contrasting reeds.

organsRgreat

PostTue Nov 16, 2021 7:37 am

For the Paramount 341: go to View > Large floating control panels (for this organ) > Recorder/player. You should find that the “Paramount341Demo” MIDI file loads automatically, unless you’ve already used the Recorder for your own playing. Click on the Play button, and you’ll have 18 minutes of music to listen to, with the registration displayed. Make sure you are on the “All Buttons” screen so that you can see all the stops in use. Although I haven’t tried it, it should be possible to save to pistons any registrations you like – either as General pistons for the whole organ, or for an individual manual.

I don’t have the Paramount 450 set up at present, but there’s definitely a MIDI file supplied with it, and it probably loads automatically too. If you aren’t able to find those demo MIDI files you may need another post here to request that information – I haven’t been able to spot their location with a quick search.

Some organists who post Hauptwerk videos on youtube show their registration, though not necessarily throughout a piece e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVkqszk ... CN&index=7

The Contrebombarde site

https://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/home/front

has mainly mp3 files, but some organists also provide youtube videos – where this is the case it’s shown on the site.

Tim Horton has a series of instructional videos on theatre organ playing – start here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOJJy5N52lc

As an American you may not be aware of the playing of some of the older British theatre organists - particularly the remarkable Reginald Porter-Brown, who was known as "the organist with three hands", because he was able to use second touch to play melody and accompaniment in his left hand alone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwOc07U7vhA

1961TC4ME

PostMon Feb 07, 2022 11:15 am

This is a rather old thread, but thought I'd share this one. Also from Tom Horton and I found it quite useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4p5fRnG9vE

Marc

Return to Performance practice