It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 am

best score readers

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

robsig

best score readers

PostMon May 09, 2022 7:20 pm

Hello everyone. I want to take the plunge into an electronic score reader with page-turning functions. I am really unable to turn pages with dry skin from diabetes. As well as organ, I play piano and harpsichord, but no longer in public. Just for fun. I do sing in choirs still and have great difficulty with turning pages.

What are your suggestions for best score readers, apps and pedals?

I see that Guido has abandoned the business. Are there other good readers or is the Ipad the best option?

Thanks for all suggestions.

Robert Sigmund

David Baldwin

Re: best score readers

PostTue May 10, 2022 4:22 am

I spent a lot of time choosing my score reader. In the end I chose an ipad running forscore. It is ideal for an organist since you can turn the pages with face gestures. Nobody has spotted my face gestures yet
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

JRP

PostTue May 10, 2022 4:27 am

I use the same setup - with forScore running on an iPad Pro 12.9" using face gestures for page turning. There is a great Richard McVeigh YouTube video where he goes through how it works for him using the face gestures. I only use the right page turn and keep the left page turn deactivated - so far I have not had any problems.

robsig

PostTue May 10, 2022 7:07 am

Thanks for the information. Does anyone use landscape mode and display 2 pages at once, or is it not necessary?

RS

Sylvaticus

PostWed May 11, 2022 7:53 am

I use the free Evince document reader on my Hauptwerk PC, utilizing the same display, as I use a Launchpad for the stops. The pdf can be read in "presentation" mode, which fills the whole screen, and can be triggered with any usb switch. On mine, I have built a knee-activated bar switch (using the guts of a usb mouse) so that to turn the page, I need only raise either knee high enough to trip the bar.

For piano, I use the ForScore application on iPad. Works really well, $10 a year subscription but worth it IMO. I do occasionally find myself trying to activate the knee switch that is nonexistent on the piano; may have to put one there someday!

Organorak

PostThu May 12, 2022 3:57 pm

Are there any Android apps (and on what version) that can turn pages by facial recognition? I use a 13 inch tablet for recitals but need a remote bluetooth pageturner person to click the turns.

Much easier on my home organ as it has page turn pistons and a large digital music display!

JRP

PostThu May 12, 2022 4:19 pm

Hi Robsig - I use Landscape but with only 1 iPad and I find it works fine. The difficulty is that you can't scan ahead like you can with a traditional score.

I think there is the option within forScore to display 2 pages on landscape using 2 iPads.

David Baldwin

PostFri May 13, 2022 3:06 am

You can display 2 pages at once. Tablet in landscape for portrait printed music and in portrait mode for landscape printed music. You can also advance half a page at a time which give you a look ahead ability.
To the best of my knowledge, there is not an android software app which permits page advance with face gestures.
I only use advance page option. It on at least one occasion the page advanced when I scratche my face. Not a problem whilst playing.
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

Henrius

PostSat Jun 04, 2022 9:13 pm

David Baldwin wrote:I spent a lot of time choosing my score reader. In the end I chose an ipad running forscore. It is ideal for an organist since you can turn the pages with face gestures. Nobody has spotted my face gestures yet

I never have used a tablet. How big a screen can you get on these things? Some organ sheet music is pretty large format and I need the size to read easily.

deWaverley

PostSun Jun 05, 2022 10:20 am

I am very successfully using two iPad Pros in landscape with Forscore, and a footpedal for turning (both pages at once) as the face gesture thing never quite worked for me. You can tap the corner of the screen to turn when that is easier or use the pedal when both hands are busy.

I just wish Apple would bring out bigger iPads - it is a mystery to me; graphic designers, architects, musicians...surely serious users want the biggest screen they can comfortably transport. :?

robsig

PostSun Jun 05, 2022 4:49 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions. I bought the ipad 12.9" and I love it! I broke it in with 4 performances of Beethoven's 9th singing with the Montreal Symphony. The ipad and 4score worked like a charm, not a single problem. The page is so clear and the page turning very quick and reliable.

Next step, the Pro version of ForScore so I can use the facial gestures.

This is a huge improvement for my musical experience. I wish I had had this setup years ago. I stopped playing in public because I couldn't turn pages for continuo gigs.

RS

For those who use pedals to turn pages, which ones do you recommend?

Return to Performance practice