It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 pm

Hauptwerk with Zoom - remote learning / masterclasses

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

jerrymartin

Hauptwerk with Zoom - remote learning / masterclasses

PostSat Jan 07, 2023 10:22 pm

Hi everyone,

This past summer, I was fortunate to enjoy the help of friends outside the USA as I studied some of the works of Franck. I have received questions from some folks about how to set this up so today made a video showing how I send a stereo mix of the Hauptwerk output down a Zoom stream for realtime collaboration.

Indeed, the person on the other end can do the same thing. Unfortunately I don't think the latency would be low enough to allow duets, but it's certainly low enough for meaningful conversation, discussion, and coaching!

https://youtu.be/ZigPqMbHaKc

Happy New Year everyone,

Jerry
Jeremiah Martin,
Portsmouth, Ohio

Jmecho

Re: Hauptwerk with Zoom - remote learning / masterclasses

PostSun Jan 08, 2023 5:27 am

Thanks Jerry for sharing.

CyrilCouten

PostWed Jan 11, 2023 11:36 am

Tks Jerry. I understand in your set up that the USB mixer that is connected on a (separate) laptop where the zoom meeting takes place is all what is needed (+camera + microphone of course). Right ?

So far I have been using an alternate (4 channel) sound card into which is plugged the output from my main sound card, and microphone + camera being plugged via USB into the (separate) laptop, then use OBS to "assemble" all this information which then feeds zoom (with same parameters that you have described). This set up is not ideal as I cannot merge the sound output from my alternate sound card with the sound ouput from my teacher, without interfering noises. So I had to fiddle with dual earphones to get it working.

This is the set up that I have used to take lessons via zoom.

Your set up is simpler in that it does not require OBS and virtual cable. And you seem to get a clean sound feedback from the other end ? Right ?

Pls advise. Tks.

jerrymartin

PostThu Jan 12, 2023 11:02 am

Hi Cyril,

You are correct in your assessment of my setup - the USB mixer assembles all the sound BEFORE it hits the computer that is running Zoom (so all Zoom sees is a stereo input device)

Meanwhile, the computer is also using the mixer as its USB OUTPUT - so the teacher/correspondent return is played back at that.

By plugging my headphones into the master monitor of the USB mixer I can hear both audio (i.e. the audio from hauptwerk on its way to the ZOOM chat, AND the audio coming back) - but since those two streams don't cross anywhere on the laptop, there is no interference.

You can get USB mixers relatively cheaply (even cheaper than the one I have) - and I definitely recommend trying it out. Do make sure in the description of the product it says that it acts as a "usb audio device" (as some of the really cheap ones just use USB for power).

In mysetup I would just use OBS if I needed to feed multiple cameras, but for teaching purposes I have not found that necessary.

Hope this helps! (And I'm thrilled to hear that you have been doing something similar - it's such a great technology!)

Jerry
Jeremiah Martin,
Portsmouth, Ohio

CyrilCouten

PostThu Jan 12, 2023 5:18 pm

Tks Jerry. This is very useful input.
It took me a few days of trial and error to find a proper set up that is acceptable for both my teacher and me...
It sounds your set up is much easier than mine.
I will order as per your recommandation and let you know !
Tks a lot.

NB can you describe what is the camera wiring into the device ? I have a zoom q2n 4k which connects via usb 2... Tks

jerrymartin

PostFri Jan 13, 2023 7:33 am

Hi Cyril
Glad to hear this might help you -

very important to note that this does NOT help with the video aspect - this is just the audio side
You may still need OBS for camera (cameras) depending on your use.
For me, I did not use an external camera (I use the webcam in the laptop and position it so my teach could see, and i could still see the screen)

(if you are ONLY using the Zoom camera via USB- you could select this as the main camera in Zoom directly - or perhaps keep using OBS to maintain video flexibility)

also - it will be necessary to "mute" your microphone from time to time - perhpas if you are playing a longer passage - I do this on the mixer itself (I keep it on the bench next to me and just turn down the volume on my microphone while I play, and turn it back up when I want to speak) - this just means my teacher does not have to listen to the sounds of the keyboard clacking as I play :)

Jerry
Jeremiah Martin,
Portsmouth, Ohio

Return to Performance practice