It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 am

Zimbelstern from interesting format

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

VulcanStarlight

Zimbelstern from interesting format

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 1:40 am

Hello, I’ve been creating a sample set from Sonus Paradisi sets, and I have come across a roadblock: The Sonus Paradisi set Casavant Bellevue, Washington has its four Zimbelstern samples stored in its folder with unsupported names: 51.wav, 52.wav, 61.wav, and 62.wav. I’m not even sure where to begin with assigning this to a stop entry on the table. Because it asks for a midi number, and these aren’t readable by the CODM to my understanding. Anyone know what any solution may be? By the way all of the samples seemed play a different variation of the full sample Zimbelstern start up, sustain, and power down. :?

mdyde

Re: Zimbelstern from interesting format

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 3:53 am

Hello VulcanStarlight,

Assuming that the samples have loops (which would be needed in order for them to be usable as sustaining sounds in the CODM), briefly, you would need to:

- Make an installation package of your own with an ID in the 'user' range (800000-899999), e.g. 800000, by creating the relevant folder, installation package definition file within it (PackageID800000.InstallationPackageDefinition_Hauptwerk_xml) and referencing it in the RequiredInstallationPackage table in your CODM ODF.

- Create a sub-folder within it (e.g. named SonusParadisi-CasavantBellevue-Zimbelstern) and copy the samples into it.

- Rename the samples within that folder to give them names in the name format that the CODM requires, e.g. 036-C1.wav, 037-C#.hbw, ... It doesn't matter which specific note numbers you assign to each one in this case, since they'll be played at their original pitches anyway.

- Create a Rank entry in the CODM ODF for them (e.g. named Zimbelstern) which references the samples.

- Create a Stop entry with:

SustainingSoundEffect_RankID
SustainingSoundEffect_MIDINoteNumber

... set to point to your desired Zimbelstern rank/note. (Don't create any StopRank entries for that Stop.)

Then whenever the user has that stop turned on the note will sound, and continue sounding until he/she turns the stop off again.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

larason2

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 6:15 am

I absolutely agree with Martin. I’ve done this many times and it works well.

VulcanStarlight

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 6:08 pm

Hey everyone, thanks for the help!! I just tried that method and it works wonderfully. The bells engage and start ringing. Now, how would I do this for a publishable custom organ definition? To include no samples from Jiri Zurek would be most ideal and of best legality. I’d love to be able to share my set and not be stepping on toes. Is there a way to do this without including the wav files? :wink: The Zimbelstern completes the set I think, it would be amiss not to include it.

mdyde

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 3:41 am

Hello VulcanStarlight,

VulcanStarlight wrote:ey everyone, thanks for the help!! I just tried that method and it works wonderfully. The bells engage and start ringing.

Thanks. Excellent.

VulcanStarlight wrote:Now, how would I do this for a publishable custom organ definition? To include no samples from Jiri Zurek would be most ideal and of best legality. I’d love to be able to share my set and not be stepping on toes. Is there a way to do this without including the wav files? :wink: The Zimbelstern completes the set I think, it would be amiss not to include it.

That's a bit tricky, given that Jiri's naming for those files wasn't compatible with the CODM. There would essentially be two options:

a) Change your CODM ODF back to refer to Jiri's original installation package and folder structure. Just for development/testing purposes (so that you can get the CODM ODF to compile during development), temporarily copy your renamed files back into the same folder that has Jiri's original Zimbelstern files. Once the CODM ODF has compiled, edit the resulting 'full-format' ODF in a text editor to change those particular sample filenames back to Jiri's original names. Then check that the 'full-format' ODF still loads properly, and distribute that (instead of the CODM ODF directly). (Editing 'full-format' ODFs isn't officially supported, but it would be a simple edit in this case, e.g. by searching the text for the relevant folder name.) You might find it easier if you turn off ODF XML auto-compacting on the General Preferences screen.

b) The other option would be to contact Jiri to ask whether you could have his permission to distribute your installation package including the renamed copies of his Zimbelstern samples. There would then be no need to distribute a full-format ODF, and you could distribute your CODM ODF directly.

In either case, see the 'Section 3: Installation package definition file tables' within 'Design tools | Custom Organ Design Module, installation package, ... format documentation' for the format required for component installer package files (in order to package full-format ODFs and/or installation packages). If distributing publicly, you would also need to use an OrganID and/or InstallationPackageID that are globally unique. Contact Francois at support [at] hauptwerk.com to be allocated some IDs if you haven't already done so.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)