It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 am

enclosure parameters

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

marclabru

enclosure parameters

PostMon Mar 13, 2023 5:16 pm

Is there a way to find out what the enclosure parameters are in the original sample sets? I looked in the ODF file, but could not find it. Or is there a better way to go forward to set the parameters?

mdyde

Re: enclosure parameters

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 5:04 am

Hello marclabru,

I assume you're referring to creating a CODM ODF Rank based on existing settings for that rank of samples from a 'full-format' (non-CODM) ODF. If so (and subject to the caveat that we don't officially provide support with editing full-format ODFs, except to major sample set producers):

- In the full ODF format, the enclosure parameters are specified in the EnclosurePipe table, on a per-pipe basis. (EnclosurePipe.PipeID references the Pipe_SoundEngine01 table, and Pipe_SoundEngine01.RankID references the Rank table.)

- Since, for any given rank, the CODM ODF format only allows specifying enclosure parameters for MIDI note numbers 36 and 96, you would probably want to copy them for those values (or linearly interpolated equivalents if the rank is of smaller compass), then check that the linearly interpolated values for intermediate pipes are similar to those for the corresponding pipes in the full-format ODF.

Alternatively, you could just ignore the values from the original ODF and configure the parameters 'by ear' to sound good/similar. The enclosure filters are essentially shelf filters.

Hope that helps.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

marclabru

PostThu Mar 16, 2023 9:57 am

Thank you so much! That answers my question!

mdyde

PostThu Mar 16, 2023 10:03 am

Thanks. Excellent. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

marclabru

PostTue May 16, 2023 1:31 am

I found the parameter nimbers in the odf. but they are in that strange format with the letter e. like :
3.3336e+2 or 1.37e+1. Can I write those numbers in the codm? or shoul I convert them to normal numbers ad in that case, How do I do that (tried to google, but didn't fid out)

mdyde

PostTue May 16, 2023 3:29 am

Hello marclabru,

As a floating point number format AeB (where B is a positive or negative whole number) means:

A x ( 10 to the power of B )

For example, 3.7e-2 = 0.037.

CODM ODFs will accept either number format (as do 'full-format' ODFs), so you can copy the numbers directly if you like.
Best regards, Martin.

marclabru

PostWed May 17, 2023 2:39 am

Thank you so much!

mdyde

PostWed May 17, 2023 3:24 am

Thanks. You're welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

marclabru

PostSat May 20, 2023 3:49 am

It seems the enclosure parameters influences the sound also when the swell bos is open. I recorded both with parameters set and without any parameters and there is a little difference in tone (harmonics) I used the parameters from the original organ. Is that supposed to be like that? I guess the parametes "when open" do this?

mnailor

PostSat May 20, 2023 6:09 am

You'd expect a slight muffling. The pipes are still in a box behind some wood slats even when they are angled open. Not fully exposed.

mdyde

PostSat May 27, 2023 4:26 am

Hello marclabru,

Yes -- if a virtual rank/pipe is enclosed, the enclosure filters will still apply very slightly to it even when the box is fully open, to avoid a discontinuity. If you set the following CODM Rank attributes:

Encl_FiltParamWhenOpenForPipeMIDINoteNum036_MaxFreqHz
Encl_FiltParamWhenOpenForPipeMIDINoteNum036_MinFreqHz

... so that the max. frequency value is a lot higher than the min. frequency value (to make the filter slope very broad) then the effect should be minimised, and likewise for:

Encl_FiltParamWhenOpenForPipeMIDINoteNum096_MaxFreqHz
Encl_FiltParamWhenOpenForPipeMIDINoteNum096_MinFreqHz

(For good measure, also make sure that you are actually testing it when the virtual swell pedal is fully at its 100% position, e.g. by dragging the virtual control with the mouse, in case your MIDI expression pedal doesn't cover the full value range.)
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)