It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 am

Swell Reeds "on" Choir (Transfer)

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

PCF

Swell Reeds "on" Choir (Transfer)

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 4:17 am

Good day

Is there a way to "transfer" (and not couple, e.g., in HW5's ExampleCustomOrgan2) the Swell Reeds to the Choir division, making the selected Swell reed stops only sound with the Choir division (keyboard), and not the Swell division (keyboard)?

Thank you for any advice.

josq

Re: Swell Reeds "on" Choir (Transfer)

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 4:42 am

Yes, I think this is possible in the CODM. Assign those swell reed stops to a separate division and link this division to the Choir manual using a coupler. You can program a second coupler to enable/disable the reeds from the swell. Not sure if you can do the transfer (enable on Choir, disable on Swell and vice versa) using a single control.

mdyde

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 5:46 am

Hello PCF,

Yes -- Josq's suggestion, i.e. using two Coupler objects, would be the way to do it (thanks, josq). There isn't currently (<=5.0.1) a means to make one of the two couplers turn off automatically whenever the other turns on (and vice-versa), since although Coupler.CouplerCodeFromWhichToCopyState can be used to make the second coupler automatically change state with the first, currently it isn't possible to make it invert its state when doing so (although that is logged as an enhancement request for the future).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

josq

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 6:15 am

Making the two coupler stops overlapping on the screen, would that work?

PCF

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 6:21 am

Thank you for the quick responses and valuable advice.

Perhaps two coupler objects can then be used separately, a "Swell Reeds on Choir" (placed with the Choir stops) and a separate "Swell Reeds Off" (placed with the Swell stops) for the time being. This will also allow more flexability to the organist.

mdyde

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 7:47 am

Thanks, PCF.

josq wrote:Making the two coupler stops overlapping on the screen, would that work?

I think it might (for touch-screen use), if you made one of them displayed but with an entirely-transparent image. I'm not sure I'd want to trust it, though!

Just keeping them as two separately-displayed, independent couplers would be my recommendation.
Best regards, Martin.

PCF

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 11:21 am

Thank you to everybody for their responses.

jrball

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 12:26 pm

How about creating another CustomDisplayPage (which need not be displayed) and put the hidden coupler on it.

Or, just make the X and Y cordinates outside of the current page size. I don't think HW cares.

mdyde

PostWed Apr 01, 2020 3:25 am

Thanks, PCF.

jrball wrote:How about creating another CustomDisplayPage (which need not be displayed) and put the hidden coupler on it.

Or, just make the X and Y cordinates outside of the current page size. I don't think HW cares.

Unfortunately I don't think those things would help in this situation (unless you only operated the two couplers via MIDI), since you'd need to be able to control both couplers (not just one) via the screen.
Best regards, Martin.

Peter Horsfall

PostSat Jul 25, 2020 2:38 pm

I have a working implementation of this transfer function (mine is a “Great Reeds on Choir”). It’s true that independent couplers (or duplicate stops) provide more flexibility; in my case, however, I’m creating an imitation of a specific instrument, so it is desirable to replicate the couplers as they are.

Along the lines that others have already commented, I created a floating GtReeds division [DivisionCode=8], and two complementary couplers (“Great Reeds Unison” and “Great Reeds to Choir”). Great Reeds Unison is enabled by default. Placing one coupler behind the other on the display works fine to ensure they are both operated as one. (I guess this may work better/worse depending on the chosen style for the drawknob; I used the small white drawknob [ControlStyleID=8], from the definitions provided for ExampleCustomOrgan2.) Display priority seems to depend on the order of the definitions in XML – whichever is listed later in the XML ends up on top.
Note these couplers should be excluded from the divisional pistons to ensure they stay in sync (always one on, one off).

Things got interesting with the Pedal couplers, though.. it’s easy to create a hidden GtReeds-to-Pedal coupler whose state is copied from Great-to-Pedal coupler; the limitation is the GtReeds follow the Great-to-Pedal coupler regardless of Great-to-Choir transfer setting. A more elaborate solution is required if the Pedal coupling is to adapt according to the Great-to-Choir transfer setting: the requirement is the GtReeds-to-Pedal coupler must be conditional on the Gt-to-Pedal AND GtReeds-Unison couplers.

The solution I found is to create another floating division [DivisionCode=9], couple the GtReeds to Division 9 (conditional on GtReeds-Unison), and couple Division 9 to Pedal (conditional on Gt-to-Pedal). Note that the latter coupler must be configured to couple the keyboard, not the key action [CoupleDestinationKeyboardRatherThanKeyAction=Y]; this means the Pedal effectively plays Division 9 when coupled. The important settings for these couplers are noted below.

GtReeds to Division 9:
- CouplerCode = 10060
- OverrideSourceDivisionToSpecifiedDivisionCode = 9
- OverrideDestDivisionToSpecifiedDivisionCode = 8
- CouplerCodeFromWhichToCopyState = 10010 (Great Reeds Unison)

Division 9 to Pedal:
- CouplerCode = 10000
- OverrideDestDivisionToSpecifiedDivisionCode = 9
- CoupleDestinationKeyboardRatherThanKeyAction=Y
- CouplerCodeFromWhichToCopyState = 1006 (Great to Pedal)

Similar is required for the Choir-to-Pedal coupler, using another floating division [10], and two couplers similar to the Great-to-Pedal configuration above. Now I understand why Hauptwerk made provision for as many as nine floating divisions!

I hope this is helpful.

PCF

PostSun Jul 26, 2020 1:37 am

Thank you Peter. Quite innovative. I am definitely going to try it. Pharny

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)