It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:52 pm

Getting Rank Information From Existing Organ

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

scodavis

Getting Rank Information From Existing Organ

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 8:42 pm

I'm currently working on a project, designing new left and right stop jambs to go with an organ I have purchased (the Casavant Surround from Sonus Paradisi). After MANY hours of work, I finally got Hauptwerk to display my custom background, and even a custom stop control. I used the "All Frills" custom organ provided with Hauptwerk as the template.

Now, the time has come to add the ranks of pipes, and I am completely clueless. The Casavant Surround sample set directory structure is completely different from the included sample sets, and I don't have any idea which is which. Of course, I tried looking at the ODF for the organ, but it's in a completely different format.

How can I derive the correct rank and voicing information from the sample set, and use it with my custom stop jambs? I'm not trying to build a custom organ; all I'm doing is building different stop jambs graphically and adding a few couplers that wouldn't normally be available on that particular organ.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks, everyone.

larason2

Re: Getting Rank Information From Existing Organ

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 10:33 pm

It sounds like you would like to be able to edit the ODF (Organ Definition File). Unfortunately, that is not supported, and I would not be able to help you there.

The only supported method to achieve what you would like is to create a new CODM (Custom Organ Definition Module) definition.

For the ranks, they are found in the Hauptwerk/HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents/OrganInstallationPackages folder of your Hauptwerk installation. Each organ installs one or more data folders, coded by a unique number. Multiple installation packages of a single organ are usually sequential. To find out which folder pertains to the organ you want to code, you can look at the organ stops included. In many Sonus Paradisi sets, the organ stops can be found in the Pipe (or pipes) folder, then a folder within labelled with the manual name (eg. GO, Pos, Rec, etc.) Once you find what folder the samples are in, enter the folder of the stop you would like to sound in the Rank entry within the CODM. For releases, Sonus Paradisi saves the main release as a subfolder within the main sample folder named rel99999, the short and medium release as rel00xxx (where x is the milliseconds at which the release was recorded). You will be able to enter this information in to the "rank" portion of the CODM XML file.

For voicing, It is difficult to perfectly duplicate an ODF's voicing in a CODM. As such, I would create a CODM and hand voice it to your satisfaction afterwards (Which you could only do in Hauptwerk Advanced).

scodavis

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 10:48 pm

larason2 wrote:In many Sonus Paradisi sets, the organ stops can be found in the Pipe (or pipes) folder, then a folder within labelled with the manual name (eg. GO, Pos, Rec, etc.) Once you find what folder the samples are in, enter the folder of the stop you would like to sound in the Rank entry within the CODM. For releases, Sonus Paradisi saves the main release as a subfolder within the main sample folder named rel99999, the short and medium release as rel00xxx (where x is the milliseconds at which the release was recorded). You will be able to enter this information in to the "rank" portion of the CODM XML file.

For voicing, It is difficult to perfectly duplicate an ODF's voicing in a CODM. As such, I would create a CODM and hand voice it to your satisfaction afterwards (Which you could only do in Hauptwerk Advanced).

Thank you Larason2, that did help somewhat. Here is the way things seem to be organized in this particular sample set, for the stop I'm currently working on:

Code: Select all
     ped
          Ped_2opr_Clairon4
               02-suchy_Ped_2opr_Clairon4
                    main samples & three releases
               04-rea_Ped_2opr_Clairon4
                    main samples & three releases

So I guess the main question would be why is there an 02 and 04 folder, each with samples and releases? I looked in a few of the others and they all seem to be this way.

mdyde

PostFri May 01, 2020 3:30 am

Hello scodavis,

I'd guess that the two sets of attack/release samples for that rank are for 'front' and 'rear' samples for that particular rank, especially since Google Translate tells me that 'suchy' in the Czech language translates to 'dry' in English. Hence I'd imagine that the '02-suchy_Ped_2opr_Clairon4' folder structure is for the 'front' samples for that (real) rank, and '04-rea_Ped_2opr_Clairon4' for the 'rear'. (In Hauptwerk currently, front/rear surround samples are implemented as two separate virtual ranks, which are controlled simultaneously, with entries for each for each stop in the StopRank table, i.e. for each rank on the real organ you would have two entries in the Rank table, and two in the StopRank table.)

Re. voicing, as larson2 suggested, that would need to be done by hand via the voicing screen -- there isn't currently a means to transfer the voicing stored in a sample set's 'full-format' ODF to a CODM ODF.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)