It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:47 am

Odd Change in Tonal Quality and Brightness

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

19msenn

Odd Change in Tonal Quality and Brightness

PostSat May 23, 2020 1:20 am

I'm currently planning to create a sample set for a local organ and have been experimenting with some samples.

I have a recording of a rank of Wurlitzer Style D Trumpet (which has a nice warm and fairly round sound). To loop the samples, I used a program called LoopAuditioneer and to trim them and add release markers, I use Wavosaur. When I listen to the samples outside of Hauptwerk, they have a very nice warm tone and sound as they should. When they are played inside Hauptwerk, the tonal quality gets increasingly sharper (not in pitch) and harsh . Towards the very top, it might as well be the Grand Ophecleide in Boardwalk Hall :? .

To note, the amplitude adjustment is the same for both midi note 36 and midi note 96. Also, I used the exact copy of the previous rank entry, where I did not have any issues like this.

Is there information that needs to be embedded into the wav file to fix this?

Any help would be appreciated,

Matt

mdyde

Re: Odd Change in Tonal Quality and Brightness

PostSat May 23, 2020 5:21 am

Hello Matt,

(I assume you're trying to use the rank in a CODM organ definition that you've created, given that the topic is in this section.)

Some things to check:

- Make sure that the note numbers in the .wav file filenames are appropriate for the following CODM ODF attributes, and that the following attributes are set appropriately for the samples. (See the 'Design tools | View Custom Organ Design Module ... format documentation' menu function for descriptions of the attributes if needed.)
- Rank.Samples_MIDINoteNumIncrementFromPipesToSamples.
- Rank.Samples_RankBasePitch64ftHarmNumIfAssumedTunedToConcertPitch.
- Rank.Pitch_RankBaseOutputPitch64ftHarmonicNum.
- If you've set Rank.Samples_RankBasePitch64ftHarmNumIfAssumedTunedToConcertPitch=0 then make sure that the correct pitch is indeed stored in the .wav files.
- As a test, try disabling the wind supply mode on the 'Organ settings | Organ preferences | Wind supply model' screen, so as to determine whether the issue is due to the ODF's wind model settings.
- Set all of the following for testing:
---- Rank.Encl_EnclosureCode=0/null
---- Rank.Trem_TremulantCode=0/null
---- Rank.Pitch_MaxRandomTuningErrorHz=0
---- Rank.Pitch_PipeMIDINoteNum..._TuningAdjustPercentSemitones=0
---- Rank.Pitch_PipeMIDINoteNum..._WindModelModDepthAdjustPercent=100
---- Rank.HarmonicShaping_PipeMIDINoteNum..._3rdAndUpperHarmLvlAdjDb=0
---- Rank.HarmonicShaping_PipeMIDINoteNum..._WindModelModDepthAdjDb=0

Does that solve it?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

19msenn

PostSun May 24, 2020 1:56 am

The only issue I could possibly see is the RankAssumedTunedToConcertPitch (or what ever its exact name is), The samples should be at a 440, and in equal tempermant, but it does seem that Hauptwerk repitches the samples when they're loaded. I compared the original samples and the loaded samples, there was a fairly significant amount of beating (suggesting that Hauptwerk modified the pitch). Does this mean that I need to find the exact pitches and embed them in the wav files? If this is necesary, how can I go about specifying the pitch in the files?

Thank you for your quick response and all of your help,

Matthew

mdyde

PostSun May 24, 2020 4:37 am

Thanks, Matthew.

Here's the documentation for that particular attribute (from the 'Design tools | View Custom Organ Design Module ... format documentation' menu function):

Samples_RankBasePitch64ftHarmNumIfAssumedTunedToConcertPitch: Hauptwerk must know the exact pitch of each sample so that the required amount of re-pitching can be calculated to play the organ with any user-selected temperament. The sample set creator can either have detected the exact pitch of the samples and saved them into the sample files, or have re-tuned the samples perfectly to concert pitch (A=440 Hz) and equal temperament.

In the former case, this parameter should be set to zero (in which case Hauptwerk will read the sample pitches from the samples themselves). In the latter case (samples tuned to A-440/equal) then this value gives the pitch of the samples by specifying the harmonic number that they represent, relative to the fundamental of a 64' stop. For example, if the samples were recorded from a 4' rank, then the pitch of the samples is considered to be 4', which corresponds to the sixteenth harmonic of a 64' pipe, and thus 16 should be specified for this setting. Even if the samples start in the second octave, their theoretical pitch is still 4', and 16 should still be specified for this setting.

In general, divide 64 by the rank pitch of the samples in feet to give the 64' harmonic number. For example, for a set of samples from a 5 1/3' rank of pipes, this setting should be set to 64 / (5 1/3) = 12.

The following are some common rank pitches, and their corresponding 64' harmonic numbers:

32': 2
16': 4
8': 8
5 1/3': 12
4': 16
2 2/3': 24
2: 32
1 3/5': 40
1 1/3': 48
1': 64
1/2': 128

Note that this setting specifies the rank pitch of the samples. The output pitch of the rank has a separate setting, allowing samples to be played at pitches other than that at which they were recorded.

For example, assuming your real rank has an 8' pitch then you could either:

1. Set RankSamples_RankBasePitch64ftHarmNumIfAssumedTunedToConcertPitch=8 and use your audio editor (or other tuning software) to detect the pitches accurately of your samples and to re-pitch them until the samples are precisely tuned to A=440/equal temperament. For example, as a test try doing that with just the 069-A.wav sample (A above middle C), tuning it manually until your audio editor's pitch detection function says that it's exactly 440.0 Hz. When played in Hauptwerk you should then hear that it plays at exactly 440.0 Hz (assuming that your other Rank pitch attributes are also set appropriately and that Hauptwerk's 'base pitch' and temperament user settings are set to A=440.0/equal on the 'Pitch' large control panel -- 'View | Large floating control panels ...). Or:

2. Set Rank.Samples_RankBasePitch64ftHarmNumIfAssumedTunedToConcertPitch=0 and use your audio editor (or other tuning software) to detect the pitches accurately of your samples and to save the precise pitches into the .wav file themselves. (The RIFF WAV format 'SMPL' chunk is the specific part of a standard .wav file in which its pitch can be stored.)

Either way (assuming it's an 8' rank), make sure also that Rank.Pitch_RankBaseOutputPitch64ftHarmonicNum=8, and that when you play middle C in Hauptwerk (for example), you do indeed hear specifically your 060-C.wav sample (i.e. that you haven't unintentionally configured the pitches to be shifted from different samples). Likewise, playing the A above middle C in Hauptwerk should cause your 069-A.wav sample to sound, and at exactly 440.0 Hz.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)