It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 am

Duplicate rank for celeste effects

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

PCF

Duplicate rank for celeste effects

PostThu Jul 09, 2020 10:52 am

Good day,

I want to duplicate one rank from a sample (e.g., a flute) to create a flute celeste. I particularly want to follow this approach to ensure similar timbres.

When I previously did this in another virtual organ programme, there was some 'interference' (apologies, I don't know the correct term) when using both ranks, which sounded awkward. A solution was to use the next note (a semitone above) of the duplicate rank and tune it down 100% (one semitone down) to have the same pitch as the original rank before it was tuned as a celeste.

If this interference effect is also present in HW5, what attributes of Ranks and StopRank should I change to transpose the duplicate rank one semitone down?

Thank you!

Pharny
Last edited by PCF on Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

Re: Duplicate rank for celeste effects

PostThu Jul 09, 2020 11:33 am

Hello Pharny,

The 'interference' you're referring to would presumably be phasing due to playing the same sample multiple times at the same (or very nearly the same) pitch.

To help minimize that, you could, for example, set Rank.Samples_MIDINoteNumIncrementFromPipesToSamples to a slightly different value for your 'duplicate' celestes rank (e.g. set it one higher or lower than for its non-celeste version).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)