It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 am

Adjusting pitch by more than +/-50 cents

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

PCF

Adjusting pitch by more than +/-50 cents

PostWed Jul 15, 2020 7:21 am

Dear Martin and team,

I want to combine two samples, one is A=400.00Hz and the other is A=414.64Hz. I have to tune the latter sample up with 109.24 cents to get it to A=440.00Hz. I can only tune it in HW using the rank voicing screen +/-50 cent.

What I have done in the CODM is to let the A=414.64Hz sample start at the next note 037-c# by setting StopRank.MIDINoteNumIncrementFromDivisionToRank = 1. Then I can adjust the sample by -9.24 cents to get the sample to A=400.00Hz. This works, however, 036-c now does not sound at all. Which rank settings to I have to adjust to having 036-c sound?

An option would be to use Rank.Pitch_PipeMIDINoteNum036_TuningAdjustPercentSemitones (and 096), but I prefer not to, as I want to keep the CODM clean of any voicing (i.e. amplitude, pitch, and harmonics).

I am looking forward to your response.

Kind regards
Pharny

mdyde

Re: Adjusting pitch by more than +/-50 cents

PostWed Jul 15, 2020 7:30 am

Hello Pharny,

To adjust the tuning of ranks in the CODM you would need to use the two Rank.Pitch_PipeMIDINoteNumNNN_TuningAdjustPercentSemitones attributes for the relevant ranks -- that's their intended purpose.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

PostWed Jul 15, 2020 8:23 am

P.S. Of course, if the samples have their pitches stored within them (as most commercial sample sets do), then as long as you set Rank.Samples_RankBasePitch64HarmonicNumIfAssumedTunedToConcertPitch to zero, then Hauptwerk would automatically play all ranks at appropriate/consistent output pitches (without needing any additional tuning voicing or CODM settings).
Best regards, Martin.

PCF

PostWed Jul 15, 2020 8:58 am

Thank you Martin.

mdyde

PostWed Jul 15, 2020 9:19 am

Thanks, Pharny.

P.P.S. I meant to type '... set Rank.Samples_RankBasePitch64HarmonicNumIfAssumedTunedToConcertPitch to *zero*'. (I've edited my previous reply to clarify that, for the benefit of anybody else who might read it in the future.)
Best regards, Martin.

PCF

PostWed Jul 15, 2020 10:04 am

Thank you Martin.

Just to clarify, if I set Rank.Samples_RankBasePitch64HarmonicNumIfAssumedTunedToConcertPitch to *zero*, do I set Rank.Pitch_PipeMIDINoteNum036_TuningAdjustPercentSemitones (and 096) also to zero, or should I insert the cents to be adjusted?

Best
Pharny

mdyde

PostWed Jul 15, 2020 10:21 am

Hello Pharny,

If you set Rank.Samples_RankBasePitch64HarmonicNumIfAssumedTunedToConcertPitch=0 and Rank.Pitch_PipeMIDINoteNumNNN_TuningAdjustPercentSemitones=0 for all ranks, and had A-440/equal temperament (for example) selected as the user settings on the 'Pitch' control panel, and all user voicing pitch sliders were at zero, then all ranks of the organ would sound at exactly A-440/equal (assuming the sample set producer had stored samples' true pitches in the samples).

- Rank.Samples_RankBasePitch64HarmonicNumIfAssumedTunedToConcertPitch tells Hauptwerk what pitches the samples really are (e.g. if zero then read their pitches from sample). I.e. it specifies the 'input pitch'.

- Rank.Pitch_PipeMIDINoteNumNNN_TuningAdjustPercentSemitones then tells Hauptwerk what pitches you want them to play at. I.e. it specified the 'output pitch'.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)