It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:12 am

Ventils and Silent Ranks

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

ldeutsch

Ventils and Silent Ranks

PostMon Jul 20, 2020 2:50 pm

I am working on a new CODM project that requires ventils. My great idea for this is to use the built-in mechanism Hauptwerk has for separate tremmed ranks. Rather than use a stop to switch between a straight rank and its tremmed version, I use this stop to switch between the desired rank and a silent rank. By implementing ventils in this way rather than using a dummy divison for the ventiled ranks, I can still use the standard combination action (which will not have to worry about the extra divisions) and everything couples between manuals correctly.

It works like a charm – almost! The problem seems to be creating a truly silent rank.

My first idea was to create a rank with a single pipe sample, but place its MIDI number out of range of all the real ranks. The definitely created a silent rank – but the other rank I wanted to switch with was also silent using this technique! This seems to be because both ranks (the real one and the silent one) must share the same MIDI scope - or at least they will only sound at the intersection of their MIDI scopes.

My next try was to create a rank with 61 pipe samples – and use the amplitude functions in the rank definition to set it -1000 dB lower than the original sample volume. This indeed works like a charm. The ventils all work correctly.

However, I am concerned that some noise will leak through from this rank since it is not truly silent.

Does anyone know how to use the CODM to create a truly silent rank with 61 silent pipes?

Les

josq

Re: Ventils and Silent Ranks

PostMon Jul 20, 2020 3:51 pm

Using an unison off coupler is not an option?

ldeutsch

PostMon Jul 20, 2020 4:36 pm

The Unison-Off coupler would have to apply to the entire division - but I want the ventilations to control only some of the stops in that division. I have done this sort of thing before by creating a dummy second division for these stops and using couplers to mimic the ventilations - but as I mentioned before, this confuses the combination action - in particular the divisional pistons.

The method of using the "alternate rank for trems" cone is "stoprank" works completely except for the need to silence the dummy rank. Of course, the user can chose not to load that rank - but I want to make this foolproof for others using my organs.

Les

mdyde

PostTue Jul 21, 2020 4:42 am

Hello Les,

ldeutsch wrote: am working on a new CODM project that requires ventils. My great idea for this is to use the built-in mechanism Hauptwerk has for separate tremmed ranks. Rather than use a stop to switch between a straight rank and its tremmed version, I use this stop to switch between the desired rank and a silent rank. By implementing ventils in this way rather than using a dummy divison for the ventiled ranks, I can still use the standard combination action (which will not have to worry about the extra divisions) and everything couples between manuals correctly.

Indeed a novel and ingenious work-around. (The only disadvantages that spring to mind are that even when the ventil has disabled the ranks they would still be consuming polyphony when played, and the disabled ranks would still be drawing wind from the virtual wind supply model when played.)

ldeutsch wrote:It works like a charm – almost! The problem seems to be creating a truly silent rank.

My first idea was to create a rank with a single pipe sample, but place its MIDI number out of range of all the real ranks. The definitely created a silent rank – but the other rank I wanted to switch with was also silent using this technique! This seems to be because both ranks (the real one and the silent one) must share the same MIDI scope - or at least they will only sound at the intersection of their MIDI scopes.

My next try was to create a rank with 61 pipe samples – and use the amplitude functions in the rank definition to set it -1000 dB lower than the original sample volume. This indeed works like a charm. The ventils all work correctly.

However, I am concerned that some noise will leak through from this rank since it is not truly silent.

Does anyone know how to use the CODM to create a truly silent rank with 61 silent pipes?

Setting Rank.Amp_PipeMIDINoteNum0NN_LevelAdjustDecibels to -99999 dB is the easiest, and -99999 dB should always be inaudible and would be so quiet as to have no significant effect on noise floor (even if not quite truly silent).

If you really, really wanted the result to be truly silent, I think you'd have to create one or more silent .wav files in an audio editor.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

larason2

PostTue Jul 21, 2020 8:36 am

I agree, a very interesting workaround. I’ve wanted to implement ventils in the CODM as well, but had given up. I immediately also thought of Martin’s suggestion of making silent ranks using silent .wav files. However, I suspect I would run into the same problem I had before of Hauptwerk missing the pitch data (I posted this on another forum post, but haven’t gotten around to trying the suggested workarounds yet.)

mdyde

PostTue Jul 21, 2020 8:51 am

Hello larason2,

You don't need pitches to be stored in the .wav files if you specify Rank.Pitch_RankBaseOutputPitch64ftHarmonicNum (e.g. set it to 8).
Best regards, Martin.

larason2

PostTue Jul 21, 2020 5:26 pm

Ok, thanks Martin. I will give silent .wav files a try and post back if I have any success.

ldeutsch

PostTue Jul 21, 2020 10:30 pm

Martin,

Thanks you, as always, for the additional information. I am not really concerned about polyphony since it is pretty much a zero-sum situation. I cannot hear anything from my rank with the amplitude set to -1000 dB, but I'll up (down) the number to the minimum as you suggest.

I have been playing a draft of my organ today and the lentils work like a charm.

When I'm done, I'll make the organ - including the CODM file - available for others to use and see how it works.

Les

mdyde

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 3:17 am

Thanks, Les (and larason2). You're very welcome. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)